Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 24
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 17636 times and has 23 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Discovering Dengue Drugs – Together, project update March 2013

Hello again to the members of World Community Grid. With this update, we announce that we are ready to call our projects completed. We thank World Community Grid, its member volunteers, and their computers for their help.

The major advanced from this project are as follows:

1) All calculations necessary to fully evaluate Phase 1 and Phase 2 of “Discovering Dengue Drugs – Together” have been completed. We are moving this project to a “completed” status and are assembling our results for posting on our web site. At this point, our calculations, which have used a combination of World Community Grid distributed computers and supercomputers from the Texas Advanced Computer Center (TACC; Austin, TX), have identified several new dengue protease inhibitors. These inhibitors have been validated in our laboratories using rigorous biochemical and cell culture assays. Most of these lead compounds inhibited both dengue and West Nile virus proteases. A handful of analogs developed from our initial computer-discovered dengue leads have entered crucial pre-clinical pharmacokinetic and efficacy studies. Thus, our World Community Grid project has been invaluable in helping identify dengue and West Nile protease inhibitors. We will be working over the next several years to turn these inhibitors into small molecules with properties suitable for human clinical trials.

2) Phase 2 of our project combined the computer resources of World Community Grid and TACC to provide unparalleled computing power to calculate the free energies of binding for several diverse proteins and a large number of potential ligands. We hypothesized that these extensive molecular dynamics calculations would provide statistical mechanical conformational ensembles from which we could accurately calculate free energies of binding. This was developed as a robust method to identify false-positive hits and more accurately discriminate between inhibitors and non-inhibitors. Unfortunately, calculations of the free energy of binding for a number of different protein:ligand systems did not match experimental measurements. Moreover, as we tested greater numbers of systems (facilitated by the combined computer resources of World Community Grid and TACC), we observed that an unacceptably large number of free energy calculations incorrectly predicted that known non-inhibitors would bind to a protein target. Thus, we conclude that the current state of free energy of binding calculations are not yet able to discriminate between binders and non-binders for every protein system However, as we reported earlier, there are some systems (e.g., lysozyme) where the free energy of binding calculations provided excellent discrimination between binders and non-binders. This work has shown that our current Phase 2 calculations are valuable at discriminating between true and false-positive hits for some target proteins, but not for all systems. We will continue our efforts to develop robust free energy of binding calculations that can be applied to a larger set of target proteins. This basic research project will not require the massive computing resources of World Community Grid at this time.

As always, we appreciate the time, effort, and dedication of World Community Grid members. The advances we are making in better understanding drug discovery software and its current limitations could not have been made without your efforts and your computer cycles.

Sincerely,
Stan
[Mar 22, 2013 10:20:58 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Randzo
Senior Cruncher
Slovakia
Project Badges:
Re: Discovering Dengue Drugs – Together, project update March 2013

Hello Stan, thank you very much for your update. It is greatly appreciated. Hope you will be able to develop algorithms robust enough to identify next potential cures. Please share with us some news in the future.
[Mar 23, 2013 9:39:00 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Falconet
Master Cruncher
Portugal
Project Badges:

Thanks for the update. Please keep us informed.
----------------------------------------

AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF 4C/8T 3.2 GHz - 85W
AMD Ryzen 5 2500U 4C/8T 2.0 GHz - 28W
Intel Z3740 4C/4T 1.8 GHz - 6W
[Mar 23, 2013 11:54:18 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Well, that sucks. We were told 3+ months ago more work units were about to be released, then nothing.
This has turned me off to world community grid crunching, altogether. I'll be recommending other projects besides WCG from now on.
[Mar 23, 2013 11:06:48 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Well, that sucks. We were told 3+ months ago more work units were about to be released, then nothing.
This has turned me off to world community grid crunching, altogether. I'll be recommending other projects besides WCG from now on.

Well, sometimes basic research leads in unanticipated directions. The scientists have said they will continue working to get better algorithms and they know they can utilize WCG in the future if they see the need. I wish you good luck in your future endeavors.
Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Mar 23, 2013 11:38:54 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Well, WCG could of course have engaged Robbie Brewer for the "you like the screensaver so much" recycling and then when found out antagonize all members.

Seriously, when the developments have led to the conclusion, already disclosed in the PI update of November 2012, that it is not adding to continue using the grid for the basic research, then there's only one proper course of action and that is to stop and annul the last batch run. Better that than wasting everyone's cycles and learn nothing new.
[Mar 23, 2013 11:40:12 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
CandymanWCG
Senior Cruncher
Romania
Project Badges:

Oh, man! I was really hoping I could reach at least bronze here. Oh, well, at least the scientists seem to have found some very good candidates which means the project did achieve its purpose.

Good work everyone! applause

PS: shouldn't this Forum take its rightful place with the rest of the completed projects? confused Also: SekeRob, maybe you were already planning this, but could you also update the crunching chart to reflect this change? And sort of off-topic: for about a week now, the trend lines are missing from that chart.
Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world! - Albert Einstein

[Mar 24, 2013 6:45:00 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
cjslman
Master Cruncher
Mexico
Project Badges:

hahaha... so let me see if I understand this... the WCG has projects just to keep you happy??? So now the right thing to do is to boycott the WCG ??? Just because a project turned in a different direction (which obviously pissed you off), you are going to punish people (including children) with cancer, AIDs, malaria and other terrible diseases ??? Great way to go...
I hope, for other people in the world that need our help, that you decide to change your mind and think about other persons instead of just yourself.

CJSL

Crunching for a better world...
I follow the Gimli philosophy: "Keep breathing. That's the key. Breathe."
Join The Cahuamos Team

[Mar 25, 2013 2:11:44 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Bearcat
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Thanks for the update. It's great we were able to assist your project. I wasn't able to get the badge I wanted to achieve but glad I was able to assist. Lets hope your project completion leads to a vaccine, or better yet, a cure. My hats off to all the scientists for your hard work. Please pass the word to other scientists of the power of WCG.
Ah, another project completed. Time for another new project. We are hungry to crunch!
Crunching for humanity since 2007!

[Mar 25, 2013 4:15:45 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Thanks for your very informative update, Dr. Watowich.

tongue
Lawrence
[Mar 25, 2013 7:51:16 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread