Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 19
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6114 times and has 18 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
New to Beta

With the rumors of new projects, I figured Beta testers would be needed. I've never done this before (that's what she said), and I notice that upon signing up no WUs were downloaded. Is this normal?

Also, is it true that if I have other projects running, on the specified computer in question, that WCG Beta WUs will take precedence and put the "current" WUs to "Ready to Run" status until the Beta WU is completed?

Thanks for helping a blind wizard. cool
[Jun 17, 2013 9:26:44 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
pcwr
Ace Cruncher
England
Project Badges:
Re: New to Beta

no WUs downloaded: correct, they are only available at certain times and there are currently none being released (they are as rare as DDDT2).
Priority: Beta take priority over other WUs.

Patrick
----------------------------------------

[Jun 17, 2013 9:33:16 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Beta has priorty over regular wu ONLY at the feeder/download stage, they are normally 4 day deadline and will run in order of download unless there is danger of not finishing in time, HP mode, just like any other wu. Also remember if you have a cache larger than the deadline they will not download at all. Also there is a limit of 1 per core at a time, as you finish you will get replacements IF there are any left
[Jun 17, 2013 11:52:47 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Thanks, guys.

Fred - I have all my caches set to 0.01. I find that this way I get a replacement WU about 15 to 20 minutes before the completion of a given WU. That seems to work great for my monsters.
[Jun 18, 2013 12:36:12 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gb009761
Master Cruncher
Scotland
Project Badges:

Gandalf_the_Grey, when there are Beta WU's around and you're fortunate to pick up one or more, the ideal thing is (if you can), is to test them under various different circumstances - i.e., stop/start BOINC/your machine(s), making a note of any events that don't look right (e.g., checkpoints not being stored etc.), as well as any other odd eventualities - memory usage etc.

Don't be too surprised if you see a few aborts whilst running Beta's - that's normal and to be expected (after all, it is Beta), and generally, you'll get credited for the work your computer(s) do.

Needless to say, there'll generally be a thread started in the Beta forum where things can be reported back to the techs.

Finally, have fun with Beta's - as that's the first general sign that a new project is on it's way biggrin

[Jun 18, 2013 3:51:16 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Beta has priorty over regular wu ONLY at the feeder/download stage, they are normally 4 day deadline and will run in order of download unless there is danger of not finishing in time, HP mode, just like any other wu. Also remember if you have a cache larger than the deadline they will not download at all. Also there is a limit of 1 per core at a time, as you finish you will get replacements IF there are any left

The bolded is simply -Not- true. Any work of any deadline is downloaded unless the client knows the particular task even through auto-prioritization does not get completed in time, when there's more deadline threat work than can be done in that 4 days. In a mix of 4 and 10 day deadlines, they simple will be put ahead of the queue -particularly- when the actual buffer is greater than 2 days. See it all the time, and case in point, running 7 days buffer and getting 4 day rush jobs frequently. They are simply put ahead the moment they arrive, other jobs not under deadline threat put in 'waiting to run' state.

WCG anyhow changed the policy some time ago that repair work [of 4 day deadline] will only go to regular < 48 hour completing devices. They will go to any host, long as it is a quorum 2 or higher situation, meaning even if it were a zero redundant task in origin and it errors out and the distributor deciding 2 additional copies are needed, will these go to any 2 hosts. The client takes care of the prioritization and the upcoming WCG version [-alpha- testing still], is pretty darn good at it... I know, because I'm running it ;>)
[Jun 18, 2013 6:51:31 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

To complete the information, if ever work is -not- sent because deadlines cannot be met, the below is the typical line that will be printed in the message/event log:

03-Jun-2013 18:42:03 [World Community Grid] Tasks won't finish in time: BOINC runs 98.4% of the time; computation is enabled 99.9% of that

Obviously, a host that runs for instance on 50% throttle or only crunches 8 to 5, will have the first percent much lower. The sampled system is 24/7, where the 98.4% is reflective of things as power outs and boots. These values can always be checked in the client_state <time_stats> section,

<time_stats>
<on_frac>0.972058</on_frac>
<connected_frac>0.984378</connected_frac>
<cpu_and_network_available_frac>0.984171</cpu_and_network_available_frac>
<active_frac>0.996381</active_frac>
<gpu_active_frac>0.996381</gpu_active_frac>
<client_start_time>1371491106.067957</client_start_time>
<previous_uptime>52107.424309</previous_uptime>
<last_update>1371543212.492207</last_update>
</time_stats>

the on fraction deteriorated because we had several multi hour out in the past week, the active frac always close to 100%, because when the comp is on, it crunches.

but we're [me is] wandering off topic.

On topic, Beta original tasks are indiscriminately distributed, no reliability check, no cache check [but for that over-commit condition]. This is because even the non-reliable rated hosts have to be checked in the test mix, to see if they succeed would they get the project work after launch.

There's a BETA FAQ topic in Start Here called 'Beta testing program information' btw, but wizards don't read them before asking ;>)
(Point 3 is needing overhaul... the working of caching in v7 has substantially changed as covered in a discussion topic, which is probably where the misunderstanding came from 'connect every...' no longer exists. Someone could run zero minimum/connect and 7 days Additional buffer... then you'd still get beta's with the v6 client).

edits: 2 to complete the picture.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Former Member at Jun 18, 2013 8:45:21 AM]
[Jun 18, 2013 8:42:47 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
johncmacalister2010@gmail.com
Veteran Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:

I'm ready for Beta tasks...

crunching, crunching, crunching.

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-core Processor with Windows 11 64 Pro.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor with Windows 11 64 Pro (part time)

smile
[Jun 18, 2013 11:37:43 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Rob - Suggestion:
Since Beta testing is not the same as standard WUs, when a new Beta tester signs up, send a test Beta WU through to verify that all the I's are dotted and the T's are crossed.

Can't hurt.
[Jun 19, 2013 3:02:07 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Coleslaw
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Or better yet, just leave a message stating that there are no BETA's available at the moment....

[Jun 19, 2013 1:28:50 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread