Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 89
Posts: 89   Pages: 9   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 40196 times and has 88 replies Next Thread
gomeyer
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Beta Testing VINA on Android Devices - July 9, 2013 - Issues Thread

Thanks uplinger. 3 of the 6 returned have indeed validated.
----------------------------------------

[Jul 10, 2013 2:21:53 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
captainjack
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

A-ha, I finally found the magic button to push to increase the numbers of tasks that will run concurrently on my Nexus 7. I've been running two at a time for about 10 hours then just moved it up to 3. I'm guessing that the Android app doesn't pull many or any parameters from the device profile on the WCG web site.

Looks like tasks are processing quite well so far. They are each running ~3 hours on the Nexus 7 and several have validated so far.

I do have one question, in the Device Manager on the web site, my Android device is showing up with a device name of "localhost". Does anybody know of a way to change that name?

Thanks,
CaptainJack
[Jul 10, 2013 5:26:48 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Were it a PC, I'd consider that a client bug as localhost is normally synonymous with IP 127.0.0.1. The client is using this to communicate internally, e.g. with the GUI.
[Jul 10, 2013 5:30:32 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
uplinger
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:

Without rooting the device, the default name pulled on an android device is localhost. There is no way to change the name from localhost through the website.

Thanks,
-Uplinger
[Jul 10, 2013 5:58:37 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dango
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

Thank you uplinger!

I checked logs and have not enough of disk memory set. Now running 2x SN2S, we will see... :)
[Jul 10, 2013 6:05:47 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

The conundrum would of course develop if a member has multiple android devices... where did the task come from :? If the android client knows cc_config.xml concept, suppressing network info would maybe print the true device number ** on the Result Status page. The <options> line would become

<suppress_net_info>1</suppress_net_info>

If 'rooting' means beyond dead-simple-install, maybe cc_config.xml is also out of the question.

A 2 cent suggestion.

edit: ** This is the number that makes the device unique to WCG, even the the name of the device were changed. It would apply only to the devices where the config entry was made.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Former Member at Jul 10, 2013 6:09:40 PM]
[Jul 10, 2013 6:06:32 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gomeyer
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

. . . I do have one question, in the Device Manager on the web site, my Android device is showing up with a device name of "localhost". Does anybody know of a way to change that name?

Thanks,
CaptainJack

I just posted the following on the Group website. We'll see what they say:

Installed BOINC 7.2.2 on my tablet without a problem. I'm running WCG beta apps and they are running and validating OK.

ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity TF700T tablet
Android 4.2.1
CPU: NVIDIA Tegra 3 Quad-core 1.6 GHz
Mem: 1GB

Two items on my personal wish list:
1. Some way to rename the host. "localhost" is pretty generic
2. Would it be possible to enable remote management, say from my desktop as I do with my PC clients?

Both of these options work with nativeBOINC. I realize they are two very different apps, but . . .

[Jul 10, 2013 7:39:07 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Maugan
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

I've recently put this running on my phone to see what its like, working well so far, 1 wu validated, 1 Pending Verification, and 1 Pending Validation.

I just now started poking about in the settings to try and make use of my second core. But I cant seem to get it to download a second WU. I'm using an HTC EVO 3D. There was a 'set number of cpu' to use option that comes and goes, right now i can't see it. I've increased the hard ware usage settings but to no avail. Is it just that my phone is classed as not good enough to run two WUs?

Thanks.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Maugan at Jul 10, 2013 8:14:15 PM]
[Jul 10, 2013 8:09:57 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
pcwr
Ace Cruncher
England
Project Badges:

Had two WUs, that just kept restarting after 3 mins.
No matter what I did, they just started again.
As they wouldn't progress any further, after 3 hrs, I aborted them.

Patrick

[Jul 10, 2013 8:15:30 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
uplinger
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:

I will talk with the other developers to see if there is a way to resolve the Android "localhost" issue. It might be that we have to set the device name based off the device definition (ie, Samsung Galaxy SIII or something along those lines).

Maugan, what version of the client are you running, please press the settings and look at the "about" button. It should have a version like 7.2.2 (which is the latest). Also, you can look in your event logs to see what the host info is showing on your device. It has the ability to email the logs, so you can email them to yourself and paste them here (probably quickest way to get a response). Or you can email them to support@worldcommunitygrid.org

pcwr, What were your logs showing during this time? I'm curious if it was BOINC shutting down due to other applications on your phone and not reaching a checkpoint.

Thanks,
-Uplinger
[Jul 10, 2013 9:19:21 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 89   Pages: 9   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread