Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 89
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 62457 times and has 88 replies Next Thread
uplinger
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Beta Testing VINA on Android Devices - July 9, 2013 - Issues Thread

Please post all issues with the VINA application on Android here.

Announcemenet:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread_thread,35344

The first workunits to be sent out will be for SN2S and run around 4-6 hours on my test devices (your runtimes may vary).

Thanks,
-Uplinger
[Jul 9, 2013 10:14:06 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Coleslaw
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Re: Beta Testing VINA on Android Devices - July 9, 2013 - Issues Thread

I know WCG is pushing to test this on the Berkeley version, but I wanted to confirm that devices running nativeBOINC can also receive work units. My phone picked one up.
----------------------------------------

[Jul 10, 2013 3:23:04 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gomeyer
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I actually removed the nativeBOINC version from my tablet before installing the Berkeley one.

I have 3 WU's running. I'll let them run for another hour and power down before going to bed, since these are new apps I don't want them running unattended on this tablet.

I'll restart again in the morning, but I guess that's part of testing also.

[Jul 10, 2013 3:33:43 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Emploi
Cruncher
Germany
Project Badges:

Why it dont work on nativeBOINC (the first android Client)? http://nativeboinc.org/

[Jul 10, 2013 8:45:12 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dango
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

no tasks available :(
[Jul 10, 2013 10:10:44 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gomeyer
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Just returned 3 and got 3 new ones. No problems at all. The returned ones are marked PV as of this post.

FWIW:
This is an ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity TF700T tablet
Running Android 4.2.1
BOINC is 7.2.2
NVIDIA Tegra 3 Quad-core 1.6 GHz (crunching 3 of 4 cores)
Mem: 1GB

The 3 completed ones ran from just over 2 hours to just under 3 hours. I've enabled "Compute on battery" but have not done so much yet, I'll be curious to see battery life. Running off of the mains it's only drawing between 10 - 15 watts. Pretty efficient IMO.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by gomeyer at Jul 10, 2013 11:55:30 AM]
[Jul 10, 2013 11:54:04 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Coleslaw
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Emploi, maybe you missed my post above.... It is working on nativeBOINC. I have returned one and am 80% complete on a second one. For those unaware, nativeBOINC is based off of 7.0.36. Pausing worked fine both on manually suspend and with the pause while on battery feature. Also, no troubles yet closing nativeBOINC and starting back up. This was on a Droid Bionic (dual core 1GHz ARM v7)

Edit: The first completed work unit was 7.62 hours.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Coleslaw at Jul 10, 2013 1:10:33 PM]
[Jul 10, 2013 1:04:56 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

"Why it dont work on nativeBOINC"

How about considering, irrespective if it works or not, that all support/development effort of Berkeley and WCG in particular is behind the Berkeley build, now 7.2.2 [IIRC]. The Google group forum by voice of Rom had only about 75 joining and 47 completing installing as of June 25. To make this a success, please follow the request of the techs to test with the endorsed client so the maximum exposure is achieved to discover any bugs, so the public release of the client can be pushed forward.

thx
[Jul 10, 2013 1:18:44 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
uplinger
Project Badges:

If you are having trouble getting work, please check the event logs on your device to see why. Chances are you have not met the minimum requirement for memory.

To access the event long on the BOINC client, press the menu button on your device. On some devices this is the 3 horizontal lines, or 3 square dots. It will pull up a menu for event log. From there, you'll be able to see the event log. If you want to email it, press the menu button again.

Thanks,
-Uplinger
[Jul 10, 2013 2:12:01 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
uplinger
Project Badges:

Just returned 3 and got 3 new ones. No problems at all. The returned ones are marked PV as of this post.

FWIW:
This is an ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity TF700T tablet
Running Android 4.2.1
BOINC is 7.2.2
NVIDIA Tegra 3 Quad-core 1.6 GHz (crunching 3 of 4 cores)
Mem: 1GB

The 3 completed ones ran from just over 2 hours to just under 3 hours. I've enabled "Compute on battery" but have not done so much yet, I'll be curious to see battery life. Running off of the mains it's only drawing between 10 - 15 watts. Pretty efficient IMO.

I have just turned on the validators, so your results should start to show up as being valid.

Thanks,
-Uplinger
[Jul 10, 2013 2:17:00 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread