Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 7
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2533 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Boinc forgots parts of tasks

Hi forum members,
I am using boinc 6.10 on win xp. I reported two tasks without any problems. But now the cline tis working on the third and fourth one. When the 4th is OK, the third went back to some stage after restarting. For example i am on 10% and after restart it goes to 7. Also elapsed time is less than it was before restart. By restarting I mean clicking exit in the file menu of the client. This does not affect the second running task. So what should I do to prevent this?
P.s. I searched the forum and didn't find the answer but there are lot of posts so maybe i missed something, also I am a beginner so maybe I misunderstanded something in settings.

Ondrej
[Jul 28, 2013 11:24:23 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Boinc forgots parts of tasks

Hi Ondrej,

If a tasks keeps running even when you exit BOINC completely you're probably running FightAIDS application version 7.03. Just kill the task in Task Manager and abort in BOINC if it still shows. The new version 7.06 fixes this and other issues with the 7.03 release. It takes a number of days to get the 7.03 out of the system regrettably and sometime the go to devices that have the CPU Time % function set, which is the biggest source of this problem.

Please do not get confused when you also see FightAIDS running with v7.15... there are 2 types of sciences experiments running, using a different simulation program, so for present 7.15 and 7.06 are the two that are OK.

cheers
[Jul 28, 2013 12:02:13 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Yes, that's another problem, when I exit the boinc manager, it still sits here, but when I terminate the proces, it step back to half of the souution for the task. So should I update from 6.10 to something higher? I get this version from this site but I know that there is a new version. or should I temporarily disable this project and wait for fix?
[Jul 28, 2013 1:23:10 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

OK, to make things more understandable, it is this task
World Community Grid; The Clean Energy Project - Phase 2 6.40 ; E214651_758_C.35.C29H16N2S2SeSi.00274965.4.set1d06_0; 00:32:42; 7.466%; 27:59:43; 8/4/2013 4:09:10 PM;
[Jul 28, 2013 1:46:46 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

No client upgrading required at this time. WCG is expected to do a public/volunteer member beta test of a future client which is very likely one of 7.2.7 or above. Stay tuned. If you have the original WCG 6.10.58 your client will be automatically told in the event log that an upgrade is availabl. The BOINC client is not automatically upgraded... it requires manual application, this opposed to the science apps.

As said, the science app version will automatically upgrade for any new work. Considering your device has trouble with FA@H 7.03, you can abort them if you get them, before starting if you want... there's no penalty. There will not be many left in circulation, certainly all my hosts have solely the good 7.06 release and not seen a v7.03 in the past 48 hours.

Any junk left over from bad tasks is removed by the client in a self-cleansing garbage run.

cheers
[Jul 28, 2013 1:50:24 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

OK, to make things more understandable, it is this task
World Community Grid; The Clean Energy Project - Phase 2 6.40 ; E214651_758_C.35.C29H16N2S2SeSi.00274965.4.set1d06_0; 00:32:42; 7.466%; 27:59:43; 8/4/2013 4:09:10 PM;

OK, stopping a CEP2 task and restarting them can lead to loss of considerable progress. Depending on where the job is, that can be just minutes, but also hours. If you boot frequently or the device is not on quasi 24/7 [another member wrote "24/366" yesterday], then this is not the science for you. Feel free to opt out again in the device profile or via My Projects.
[Jul 28, 2013 1:54:13 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Thanks for you quick reply. I should probably read carefully the projects pages.
[Jul 28, 2013 3:18:48 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread