Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 15
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 18427 times and has 14 replies Next Thread
jonnieb-uk
Ace Cruncher
England
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Website redesign

Having watched the video Keith Uplinger and Kevin Reed: Update on World Community Grid and Results of our User Participation Study at the recent BOINC workshop I offer some suggestions for consideration in the website redesign currently underway.

knreed talked about new users having dfficulty in making an intial project selection. I suggest that the WCG signup default should be to the Project currently running with the shortest WU length. I feel that new users want almost "instant gratification" so a project with WUs running ~3hrs is more preferable that one with WUs of 9hrs +. So currently the default would be to FAAH rather than trying to understand the system requirements to run CEP2.

A surprisingly high number of users identify geographical location as "International". On initial signup the default geographical location should be auto-detected with the option to override if a user's location is sensitive.

Teams that have no existence outside of WCG struggle to communicate with members outside those few who particpate in the forum, because the current default on Team signup is to with-hold email address. The team signup default should be changed to automatically join the team's mailing list. If confidentiality or potential spam is perceived to be an issue, team mailing lists could be held centrally with Team Captains having to submit emails for onward transmission, no more than 12(?) a year.

I have previously suggested that WCG emails should have a My Team box with a link to Go to My Team statistics similar to the the existing link to My Statistics
----------------------------------------

To Join follow this link: Join the UK Team All Welcome! UK Team thread
[Oct 8, 2013 3:44:58 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
twilyth
Master Cruncher
US
Project Badges:
Re: Website redesign

A lot of these problems go away with the purchase of form software like vBulletin, especially if you add packages that would support group activity. The full VB package including mobile bundle is 400USD and I refuse to believe that WCG can't afford this, especially if it's going to undertake a redesign of the main website.

Porting the data from the existing forum over would obviously take some work but I think everyone can agree that the divergence in functionality between the software we have here and what is generally considered "acceptable", especially for a site run under the auspices of a tech company like IBM, is only going to continue to grow.

Personally I would consider it an embarrassment. I think the only reason it isn't is the fact that so few people come to the forum but then that's probably due at least in part because of the fact that the software doesn't really allow for the full development of a real community here. At the very least there should be some sort of private mail facility which would go light years to helping team members connect with one another but I don't think anyone sees that ever happening.

[Oct 8, 2013 11:05:52 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
jonnieb-uk
Ace Cruncher
England
Project Badges:

@ twilyth

I think "A lot of these problems go away with the purchase of forum software like vBulletin" is an overstatement but that apart I agree entirely. The mvnForum 1.2.1 GA forum software hasn't been updated since 2008 and the MyVietnam.net web page appears to have last been last updated 4 years ago.

I like the idea of a private mail facility which would be enormously helpful for teams. Another feature I've seen in several forums using uptodate software, such as Excel Help Forum, is the ability to attach and upload a file. Wouldn't this be of great benefit to Techs and CAs when problem solving if the Event Log/error reports could be uploaded rather than cut & paste as currently happens.

To Join follow this link: Join the UK Team All Welcome! UK Team thread
[Oct 9, 2013 12:14:13 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
twilyth
Master Cruncher
US
Project Badges:

Yeah, one has to discriminate between the functions served by the primary website and the forum of course but the fact of the matter is that the two really need to be more closely integrated. The fact also remains that certain functions, such as those designed to promote a sense of community, more properly belong on the forum side and that can never happen with the - and let's be honest here - the pretty feeble software we're currently using.

I know I said this already but it's worth emphasizing. The justification for never upgrading the forum software is that so few people come to the forum, but what seems to be perpetually overlooked is the fact that no one who has ever used modern forum software would have much patience with this system - and rightly so. I know that's a bit of an overstatement as there are some who are both patient and dedicated enough to learn the idiosyncrasies of this system, but still, there is nothing that can be done to make up for its numerous failings and shortcomings.

Beyond that, this system does almost nothing to promote contact between members let alone any sense of community or camaraderie. The ways that could be improved with a decent software package would be limited only by one's imagination. And I'm sure there are also any number of ways it could be tied into the primary web site.

The main point is that communication is what is critical and a vibrant forum is critical to communication. Communication can't just be one way - and a web site is only designed for one way communication. WCG speaks - you listen. The forum is where you get to speak and are heard. Except no one wants to come here, so what's the point?

[Oct 9, 2013 5:01:53 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

.....and of course a lot of the forum software is FREE, such as phpBB, SMF, etc so there is no need to pay for anything!
But, I agree t5hat the most significant item to include is Private Messaging. This is a great TEAM facility..... biggrin
[Oct 9, 2013 5:36:49 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
branjo
Master Cruncher
Slovakia
Project Badges:

A lot of these problems go away with the purchase of form software like vBulletin, especially if you add packages that would support group activity. The full VB package including mobile bundle is 400USD and I refuse to believe that WCG can't afford this, especially if it's going to undertake a redesign of the main website.

Unfortunately, VB is full of security holes like Swiss cheese, so I don't thing it will pass rigorous IBM rules.

Approximately month ago hackers disabled tens of forums using VB (I am a member of one of them) and forced admins to restore databases (thus lost posts/discussions), temporally disable some plug-ins (not a big deal at all),... angry

Nice soft, but developers need more work to do on security side sad

Cheers peace

Crunching@Home since January 13 2000. Shrubbing@Home since January 5 2006

[Oct 9, 2013 8:02:01 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
twilyth
Master Cruncher
US
Project Badges:

Unfortunately, VB is full of security holes like Swiss cheese, so I don't thing it will pass rigorous IBM rules.

Approximately month ago hackers disabled tens of forums using VB (I am a member of one of them) and forced admins to restore databases (thus lost posts/discussions), temporally disable some plug-ins (not a big deal at all),... angry

Nice soft, but developers need more work to do on security side sad

Cheers peace

Oh come on. If you're going to start using security issues as an excuse for continuing to use primitive software from the dawn of the world wide web, then you may as well unplug your computer and go back to using snail mail.

You have to weigh the risks against the rewards. That's how things are done in the real world and the rewards of having a real forum that people actually WANT to visit vastly, let me repeat that VASTLY outweighs any security concerns - especially when

1. we're talking about one of the most widely used forum software programs on the planet and know that any problems will be resolved post haste,

2. that damage will be nominal. That is why you have backups. So a few posts might get lost. Is that really what we're worried about here?

3. I'm willing to bet that those security issues probably centered around 3rd party plug-in's that weren't adequately tested because I'm an active member on other VB sites that did NOT experience the problem.

[Oct 9, 2013 11:04:42 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
keithhenry
Ace Cruncher
Senile old farts of the world ....uh.....uh..... nevermind
Project Badges:

First off, I would really like to be able to watch the video mentioned at the start of this thread. Unfortunately, Media Player, Quicktime and Itunes can't play it.

Second, it usually seems like a good idea in a redesign to get what you have now working first. WCG is cursed by it's initial focus on being a load and forget "app". It needs the simplicity and reliability for that to be possible (and it does that very well now) but it needs to be easy for a cruncher to go beyond that, especially for the "computer illiterate". Searching, reading, and posting in the forums needs to be seamlessly integrated into the overall website. If, for example, BOINC is telling me it can't communicate with the server, doing a search from the WCG website homepage should list any website content and forum content so that, if there's a current outage, I can find that out in a matter of seconds. For the vast majority of crunchers, they never use the curent forums, and of the very small minority that do, an equally small minority of that group post. As for the existing team email function, it's worthless. With the current default to not participate, changing that won't happen. You can't suddenly "opt-in" folks by changing that default as anyone who really wanted to opt out would be able to justifiably cry foul. Just get rid of it. Bring in private messaging. From looking at other projects, PM seems to be a part of the BOINC "package". That would at least be a starting point as I don't doubt that IBM would insist on mods for things like dealing with PMs that get out of hand and such. Communication within the cruncher community here is so limited that looks like something out of the Flintstones. WCG needs to bite the bullet and address the device merging issue. No, that's not going to have huge payoffs but it is a credibility issue for WCG. When you tell me I have 32 devices when I actually have 3, credibility suffers. Yes, maybe I shouldn't be able to merge devices when I've actually replaced a computer with a new one but if I've had to reload an existing machine, that's the same device. Track the MAC address and allow me to merge devices that are for the same MAC address. Again, I've seen other projects allow device merging so hopefully, that's part of the BOINC "package" that WCG excluded back in the beginning, and it is a starting point that avoids reinventing the wheel. I liked when team challenges were added. It's one of the few ways here we can encourage our fellow crunchers. Unfortunately, it's buggy enough that that is one more obstacle we have to deal with. It usually takes 8-10 days (for a month long challenge) for a team's rank to appear on the My Team page, and, often, that rank is different from what is shown when you view the challenge itself. I "love" the limit of not being able to create a challenge that starts more that 30 days out. Most of the months have 31 days so trying to maintain a recurring set of challenges as I do means I have to deal with the nuisance of reporting on the results of one set of challenges and then having to wait until the next day to create the new set. Simple workaround - delay reporting by a day or two so I can get it all done at once. That's the thing though, why should I have to need a workaround?

I'm sure the WCG team has found some real needs that they want to address in a redesign but I think if long-standing issues aren't addressed as well, a redesign could hurt far more that it helps.
Join/Website/IMODB

[Oct 13, 2013 5:47:53 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

First off, I would really like to be able to watch the video mentioned at the start of this thread. Unfortunately, Media Player, Quicktime and Itunes can't play it.

It will play in VLC with no problem.
Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Oct 13, 2013 3:14:38 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
branjo
Master Cruncher
Slovakia
Project Badges:

None of formats I posted here works for you keith?

Cheers peace

Crunching@Home since January 13 2000. Shrubbing@Home since January 5 2006

[Oct 13, 2013 7:20:27 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread