Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 28
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 17720 times and has 27 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
DSFL update Oct 2013

New Update of the DSFL project

We have been a bit quiet since we finished running our project at World Community Grid. However, as I explained to you before in the forums, we are running a script to detect and filter the best scores generated with Autodock Vina for each protein-ligand interaction. We have a lot of information stored in multiple compressed folders (7 Terabytes in approximately one billion files) produced by all of the processing conducted in your computers. Currently, the script has processed over 40% of the data since the beginning of May 2013 this year. Based on this rate, we expect to finish running the script in about 5 or 6 months.
We have already taken a look at the best docking scores from approximately 30% of the data filtered by the script. We found very good docking scores for 10 compounds that can interact against three Leishmania proteins. There are other docking scores with slightly lower values which are still promising. I hope to finish with more than one hundred compounds to be tested initially in vitro. The best of those would continue with in vivo assays.
While we had finished running our project over the summer, we held off officially announcing the end of this phase of the project as we needed to rule out the requirement to run additional work. As described above, we are already seeing good scores for the data we’ve analyzed so far and have decided to close out phase 1 of this project. We may begin a second phase of work on World Community Grid, sometime next year.

But the path does not end there.
The next step is to test the promising compounds, and although we have certain capacity to evaluate compounds in our lab facilities, this capacity is limited in term of space, human resources and funds. To overcome these limitations, we have to get funds to buy and test all these, let´s say 100 compounds, in vitro and then some in vivo. To get funds to purchase the compounds and to test them, we will submit a proposal at the end this month to a foundation supported by the pharmaceutical company Glaxo Smith Kline-GSK, called “Tres Cantos Open Lab Foundation” (www.openlabfoundation.org). In addition, there is an NGO (Non-governmental Organization) called DNDi (Drugs for Neglected Disease Initiative) (www.dndi.org) which is interested in testing or supporting the testing of several of these compounds. We will receive a visit from one the members in November this year.

So, as you can see, we are moving toward getting funds to continue with the work to which all of you contributed a large amount of computing power, and to finally get a new inexpensive and safe drug to cure Leishmaniasis. I am optimistic. Finally, thanks again to all of you for your collaboration and support of the DSFL project. We will keep in touch through the forum.
[Oct 15, 2013 4:52:55 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Falconet
Master Cruncher
Portugal
Project Badges:
Re: DSFL update Oct 2013

Thank you very much for the update.
Nice to hear about the compounds and the possible phase 2.
----------------------------------------

AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF 4C/8T 3.2 GHz - 85W
AMD Ryzen 5 2500U 4C/8T 2.0 GHz - 28W
Intel Z3740 4C/4T 1.8 GHz - 6W
[Oct 15, 2013 5:10:19 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
branjo
Master Cruncher
Slovakia
Project Badges:

Great news Carlos biggrin

All the best good luck and I am looking forward to hearing more good news from you peace

Crunching@Home since January 13 2000. Shrubbing@Home since January 5 2006

[Edit 1 times, last edit by branjo at Oct 15, 2013 5:26:15 PM]
[Oct 15, 2013 5:25:48 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gb009761
Master Cruncher
Scotland
Project Badges:

Thanks Carlos for taking the time to come back and give us, what seems a very positive update. I truly do hope that something really positive comes out of this 7 Terabytes of information we've all contributed to, which will result in eventually finding a cure for this disease.

From a personal perspective, I'm hoping for a second wave (that'll be attached to the 'phase 1'), as I feel as though, through not reaching Emerald for this project, I've got unfinished business. If this doesn't happen though (through a drug being found), then I'll be more than happy biggrin

[Oct 15, 2013 6:25:29 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
johncmacalister2010@gmail.com
Veteran Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:

New Update of the DSFL project

We have been a bit quiet since we finished running our project at World Community Grid. However, as I explained to you before in the forums, we are running a script to detect and filter the best scores generated with Autodock Vina for each protein-ligand interaction. We have a lot of information stored in multiple compressed folders (7 Terabytes in approximately one billion files) produced by all of the processing conducted in your computers. Currently, the script has processed over 40% of the data since the beginning of May 2013 this year. Based on this rate, we expect to finish running the script in about 5 or 6 months.
We have already taken a look at the best docking scores from approximately 30% of the data filtered by the script. We found very good docking scores for 10 compounds that can interact against three Leishmania proteins. There are other docking scores with slightly lower values which are still promising. I hope to finish with more than one hundred compounds to be tested initially in vitro. The best of those would continue with in vivo assays.
While we had finished running our project over the summer, we held off officially announcing the end of this phase of the project as we needed to rule out the requirement to run additional work. As described above, we are already seeing good scores for the data we’ve analyzed so far and have decided to close out phase 1 of this project. We may begin a second phase of work on World Community Grid, sometime next year.

But the path does not end there.
The next step is to test the promising compounds, and although we have certain capacity to evaluate compounds in our lab facilities, this capacity is limited in term of space, human resources and funds. To overcome these limitations, we have to get funds to buy and test all these, let´s say 100 compounds, in vitro and then some in vivo. To get funds to purchase the compounds and to test them, we will submit a proposal at the end this month to a foundation supported by the pharmaceutical company Glaxo Smith Kline-GSK, called “Tres Cantos Open Lab Foundation” (www.openlabfoundation.org). In addition, there is an NGO (Non-governmental Organization) called DNDi (Drugs for Neglected Disease Initiative) (www.dndi.org) which is interested in testing or supporting the testing of several of these compounds. We will receive a visit from one the members in November this year.

So, as you can see, we are moving toward getting funds to continue with the work to which all of you contributed a large amount of computing power, and to finally get a new inexpensive and safe drug to cure Leishmaniasis. I am optimistic. Finally, thanks again to all of you for your collaboration and support of the DSFL project. We will keep in touch through the forum.

Many thanks for the great update, Carlos. Still lots of work to be done, but the findings look promising.

John biggrin

crunching, crunching, crunching.

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-core Processor with Windows 11 64 Pro.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor with Windows 11 64 Pro (part time)

smile
[Oct 15, 2013 6:42:24 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
rose Re: DSFL update Oct 2013

Thanks for telling us. It sounds good.

Lawrence
[Oct 15, 2013 8:29:09 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

It is always nice to have the updates. Thanks for taking the time. God luck with the further testing.
Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Oct 16, 2013 12:01:32 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
themoonscrescent
Veteran Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:

I second everyone's comments, good luck and I hope to help some more with Phase 2 cool

[Oct 16, 2013 5:25:12 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
asdavid
Veteran Cruncher
FRANCE
Project Badges:

They already said everything. Thanks for the update and good luck
Anne-Sophie

[Oct 16, 2013 8:00:58 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
alver
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

That's great news - always really inspiring to hear what happens to all these results after they leave our machines. Good luck with the next steps. It would be *such* a powerful motivator for future crunchers to know that an actual working drug had directly resulted from one of these projects.

(previously known as 'proxima' on SETI, UD, distributed folding, FaD, and Rosetta)
[Oct 16, 2013 1:12:03 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread