Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 7
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1751 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
sartaonline
Advanced Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
confused Are there different projects for different CPU types?

All but one of my systems are Intel-based. I have one AMD Phenom X4 at home and it frequently states that it fetched 0 tasks because "tasks are committed to other platforms". All of my systems use the same profile "work".

It is running the 64-bit client, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

Is this normal or an issue?

Thanks!
----------------------------------------
[Edit 2 times, last edit by sartaonline at Nov 8, 2013 4:57:35 PM]
[Nov 8, 2013 4:39:49 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Are there different projects for different CPU types?

This is normal, when it talks about 'other platforms' it is referring to Linux etc, rather than windows..... wink
[Nov 8, 2013 6:18:10 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sartaonline
Advanced Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

But the issue is that I can perform an update on my intel laptop right next to it (also 64-bit w7) and it immediately downloads a bunch of tasks, have never seen the "tasks committed to other platforms" on any Intel machine.
[Nov 8, 2013 7:29:17 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hello sartaonline,
Your AMD Windows 7 should act just like your Intel Windows 7 - unless you set a computer-specific preferences override on your computers which overrides the web site preferences. Look at your startup messages in the Log.

Lawrence
[Nov 8, 2013 7:47:46 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
branjo
Master Cruncher
Slovakia
Project Badges:

But the issue is that I can perform an update on my intel laptop right next to it (also 64-bit w7) and it immediately downloads a bunch of tasks, have never seen the "tasks committed to other platforms" on any Intel machine.

It happens time-to-time. Do not bother with that message, it use to disappear after some time wink

Cheers peace

Crunching@Home since January 13 2000. Shrubbing@Home since January 5 2006

[Nov 8, 2013 8:09:54 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hi sartaonline,

I'm not a WCG tech, but as I understand it, although the strict answer to your question is "No", there IS the possibility to have multiple feeder streams for the same project, each stream aimed at some different aspect of the target machine. It might be operating system, or 32/64-bit, or hardware architecture. It's up to the techs to decide if any particular project needs to be segmented in this way, usually because there is some difference in results across one or more of these variables which causes them not to validate against each other.

All that message means is that the server stream aimed at the group of machines with similar attributes to yours, whatever they may be for any particular project, is currently dry. Usually it will have filled up again by the time your machine tries again. It is most unusual for that situation to last long, and you can usually simply ignore that message.
[Nov 8, 2013 8:39:42 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

The 'expensive' words for this is 'Homogeneous Redundancy', but that in practise only applies to the quorum pairing and any subsequent 'repair' jobs related to the same task blob. No task gets pre-build for a particular XYZ. If the original task goes to XYZ [by shear coincidence], all additional copies go to the same XYZ [No coincidence].

Historically, can only remember HPF2 not needing the HR assigning. The 19 copies [not same but slightly varying], could go to any CPU/OS 'platform', long as it processed in x86 and x86_64 code.
[Nov 8, 2013 9:19:15 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread