Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 8
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 549 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
NY Train Crash

What conclusions would you guess at?

He said preliminary data from the train's event recorders indicated the train's brakes became fully engaged just five seconds before the locomotive came to a complete stop after the crash.

In addition, he said the locomotive's throttle went to idle six seconds before the train came to a stop.

[Dec 3, 2013 12:48:10 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: NY Train Crash

If I was driving a car I would say I took my foot off the accelerator and onto the brake because I was trying to do an emergency stop!
[Dec 3, 2013 12:49:25 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bjbdbest
Master Cruncher
Project Badges:

David Schanoes, former deputy chief of field operations
for the Metro-North line ...
"I would have to see all the data from the event recorder,
"Schanoes told CNN's Erin Burnett OutFront. "But clearly,
from what has been captured, the train was overspeeding,
and the request for emergency brake application comes too late
for the train to be able to negotiate the curvature."

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo - "When the investigation concludes,
we will make sure that any responsible parties are held accountable.
My thoughts and prayers continue to be with the families of the victims
of yesterday's crash."

Train Derailment

A tragedy whatever is determined sad
----------------------------------------
[Dec 3, 2013 3:16:26 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Has resemblance with the Compostela high speed train accident earlier this year, captured on Video, with distress warning: http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2013/j...la-train-crash-cctv-video . 78 fatalities. Driver had 3 speed warnings: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/02/...ain-crash-driver-warnings ... too busy on the phone one report said.
[Dec 3, 2013 3:34:57 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
PecosRiverM
Veteran Cruncher
The Great State of Texas
Project Badges:

The train was doing ~82mph in a 30mph curve.

Driver (Engineer) was asleep until too late..

coffee
cowboy

[Dec 3, 2013 3:44:47 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

'Car-like' daze
Mr Rockefeller told emergency officials on the scene he had been "in a daze", US media reported earlier, citing law enforcement sources.

He also told investigators that "he nodded. He zoned out," Mr Bottalico, chairman of the Association of Commuter Rail Employees, told Reuters.

"He had the equivalent of what we all have when we drive a car," Mr Bottalico said, according to the Associated Press news agency, describing what Mr Rockefeller had related to him.
[Dec 4, 2013 11:05:18 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
alged
Master Cruncher
FRANCE
Project Badges:

there shud be a system that automatically stop the train if driver is not
acting let's say after two warnings

[Dec 5, 2013 5:01:00 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Alged, this system exists and is fail-safe, it means any failure in the system leads the train to stop. I'm not sure if this system is implemented in North Line, it's a complex and expensive system that some operators don't deploy in their lines, depending very much on train intervals and maximum speed.

If the system is deployed in North Line (I believe it is), two causes could explain the accident.

1 - The system was isolated, i.e., not acting in the train brakes. It can be done by the train engineer, if there is a momentary fail in the system.

2 - There was a failure in the brake system. In this case, an alarm should be generated to warn the engineer, so he should be driving the train in a restrictive speed, relying on track maximum speed and track signals.

In any case, the train engineer is guilty in some degree, the investigation will tell what part will be done to the train system.
[Dec 6, 2013 2:06:55 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread