Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 108
Posts: 108   Pages: 11   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 75843 times and has 107 replies Next Thread
CandymanWCG
Senior Cruncher
Romania
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: MVN Forum Software

Aaaand....BUMP!
----------------------------------------
Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world! - Albert Einstein

[Dec 17, 2013 8:47:18 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

blushing I am adding this post as a target for another thread.
devilish This will add to the complexity and confusion on the forum.
Here is my post: https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/...ead,35979_offset,0#443565

Whimsically,
Lawrence

Added: I seem to be giddy this morning.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Dec 17, 2013 12:53:24 PM]
[Dec 17, 2013 12:47:41 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
CandymanWCG
Senior Cruncher
Romania
Project Badges:

blushing I am adding this post as a target for another thread.
devilish This will add to the complexity and confusion on the forum.
Here is my post: https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/...ead,35979_offset,0#443565

Whimsically,
Lawrence

Added: I seem to be giddy this morning.

I love it when things just fall into place like this. tongue

[Dec 17, 2013 1:07:08 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
twilyth
Master Cruncher
US
Project Badges:

I just want to say that I have a lot of faith in IBM and what they're doing generally, not just with WCG but also with projects like Watson (separate thread here ). Now that Watson is freely available as a cloud service I think it's going to take over the world, which is why just today I bought a couple of 2016 leap calls on IBM - despite the recent decline in their share price.

That's one of the reasons it pains me to see a place associated with them being run out of the back of someone's broken down minivan - or what is the digital equivalent. Sure, IBM is and maybe always will be essentially a silent partner in WCG. And yes, I can understand the advantages of that. But there is still a link, an association. And whether it is actively exploited or not, it remains and is well known, especially in certain circles.

So even if the powers that be don't care about the effect the current forum software has on the people here and more importantly, the people who DON'T come here but otherwise might, you SHOULD at least care about how this looks.

[Dec 17, 2013 10:39:47 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Rickjb
Veteran Cruncher
Australia
Project Badges:

jonnieb-uk: ... the ability to upload an error log or BOINC event log as an attachment to a forum message would surely be a great advantage ...

Preferred workaround on many/most forums, and already available here: Upload the file to a 3rd-party shared-file site and post a link to it.

Totally agree with the requests here for most of the other features tho.

I would point out that if the hypothetical new forum software supported personal messages, whether to enable it would be a policy issue for WCG that would require some discussion.

We would not want to lose the data from this MVN version during any changeover. Are there automated tools to copy the data across to other packages?
[Dec 18, 2013 7:25:26 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

There's good reason for not allowing post attachments, there being enough 3rd party hosters like paste-bin to provide that service securely and ditch them over a certain age. Another layer of storage, management, concern.

Strangely, in all these years I've never once seen anyone at WCG asking for the standard BOINC forum... avatar, signature, PM with friend acceptance [and the possible snark on the forums if not accepted], author annoyance blocker [there are 3 on my list] and completely for free. Since there's work on getting the badges to show in the client [Question here who's system is going to get snubbed again... WCGs?, though being the inventor of it?], it's not improbable the BOINC forum will get that too, [optional would have my favor]. The BOINC forum even allows opting to show the sig or not for each post. Do we need/want them in support threads e.g?
[Dec 18, 2013 10:57:44 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
twilyth
Master Cruncher
US
Project Badges:

I don't know what software the BOINC forum uses but I'm not sure that's the appropriate standard of comparison.

Regardless, I would first like to get someone on record saying that there is a firm commitment to abandon MVN and migrate to something that is actually supported and has some sort of installed user base before we start a discussion of what features we would like to see - because clearly from jhindo's comments, the forum isn't any sort of a priority around here and until it becomes clear that it is, it's all wasted breath anyway.

[Dec 18, 2013 11:54:12 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

BOINC/Berkeley uses their own developed forum software, which means, there is a theoretical response time on adaptations/features... the only one using is... BOINC world, pretty much except WCG [think CPDN is on something different too, certainly a heavily customized front compared to what most projects have]
[Dec 18, 2013 12:03:47 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
twilyth
Master Cruncher
US
Project Badges:

If that would make migration easier and it has a sufficiently robust feature set compared to most other commercial forum software, I'd hope it would be one option that would be considered. I just get the feeling right now that NO options are being considered.

[Dec 18, 2013 12:11:21 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
CandymanWCG
Senior Cruncher
Romania
Project Badges:

I completely agree with all the points that you've made twilyth and, unfortunately, I also have the nasty feeling that we'll be long gone before we will actually see a serious forum (platform) change here.

I guess we'll just have to...I was going to say "wait and see", but on second thought: "complain and moan" sounds more appropriate to put it a bit euphemistically.

Cheers!

[Dec 18, 2013 12:15:09 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 108   Pages: 11   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread