Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 22
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 12821 times and has 21 replies Next Thread
ErstwhileIII
Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Only three active projects ... is World Community Grid in a "dying" phase?

With only three active projects, is this great volunteer mechanism in a "slowly dying" phase?

Who knows why we do not attract more projects (and, with those, more members)?

We are only a little short of contributing 1 million years of computation ... would be a shame for this resource to go dark.
[Jul 5, 2014 3:20:34 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Re: Only three active projects ... is World Community Grid in a "dying" phase?

The techs and administrators are very circumspect when it comes to revealing details about what is in the pipeline. Supposedly there is at least one new project on which they are working. There was also just an update on the Childhood Cancer project which hints at more work to come there. Be patient. There is at least a years worth of work left on the MCM1 project and the the other two active projects are open ended at the moment. Plenty of work to do at the moment.
Cheers
----------------------------------------
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Jul 5, 2014 3:35:57 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
yoro42
Ace Cruncher
United States
Project Badges:

Looking forward to the Beta project(s) that will proceed the new one(s).

[Jul 5, 2014 4:42:45 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
keithhenry
Ace Cruncher
Senile old farts of the world ....uh.....uh..... nevermind
Project Badges:

Looking back over the full history of WCG, the present is more of the norm than the recent past. Having more than 3-4 projects at the same time has been unusual.
Join/Website/IMODB

[Jul 5, 2014 6:05:04 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gb009761
Master Cruncher
Scotland
Project Badges:

Indeed, all of the above points are very valid and true.

What makes it seem as though we don't have as many projects as we've had in the past, was a number of projects being completed off quicker than it was estimated last year for a number of reasons;

HPF2 (an open-ended project that was expected to run for years), had it's funding cut, and therefore came to a sudden end.

DDDT2 (a project that had a stop-start progress), was pulled as it wasn't generating the results that were hoped for.

HCC (currently our one and only GPU project), finished a lot sooner than anticipated - due to the speed of the GPU processing.

GFAM having it's funding halted.

C4SW & DSFL both finished a little quicker than was expected last year - no doubt, due to the increased focus they received once other projects were completed.

So, in total, 6 projects came to their conclusion last year - and as it normally takes quite a bit of hard work and effort to launch a new project on WCG (there's a lot of work that goes on in the background, even before we see a Beta test), the techs simply can't replace that number of projects that quickly.

Listed below, is a full list of projects that have been started/completed by year;

Year	No. Started	No. Completed
2004 1 0
2005 1 0
2006 5 1
2007 3 3
2008 2 1
2009 3 3
2010 3 1
2011 2 0
2012 2 1
2013 1 6
2014 0 (as yet) 2 (as yet)

[Jul 5, 2014 8:11:36 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
cjslman
Master Cruncher
Mexico
Project Badges:

With only three active projects, is this great volunteer mechanism in a "slowly dying" phase?
No, it's not dying... far from it. It has 3 active projects (plus another intermittent, excluding the Beta project)... and more on the way.
Who knows why we do not attract more projects (and, with those, more members)?
It' been hinted several times that there is at least one project in alpha testing. Also, as stated above, 3-4 projects seems to be the norm. On top of that, these projects are not like, "here, crunch this". They are very complicated and need a lot of planning from everybody involved (so it takes time). As for more members, I think we do have more members (thanks to the Ripplers that stayed on).
... would be a shame for this resource to go dark.
I totally agree. Rest assured, there is plenty of WCG for a long time.

I would also suggest being more active in the forums so you can be aware for what is happening and avoid posting things with dooms day titles biggrin.

CJSL

Crunching for a better world...
I follow the Gimli philosophy: "Keep breathing. That's the key. Breathe."
Join The Cahuamos Team

[Jul 5, 2014 11:44:04 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Barnsley_Tatts
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

Personally I feel that having too many projects dilutes the sheer crunching power of the WCG members.

Is it not better to throw all resources at 3 projects, generating some meaningful and rapid results than having lots of projects that members slowly chip away at.

As long as there's a cancer orientated project to work on, then I'm happy plugging away.

[Jul 6, 2014 8:09:07 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Personally I feel that having too many projects dilutes the sheer crunching power of the WCG members.

Is it not better to throw all resources at 3 projects, generating some meaningful and rapid results than having lots of projects that members slowly chip away at.

As long as there's a cancer orientated project to work on, then I'm happy plugging away.
Agree 100% biggrin
[Jul 6, 2014 8:23:19 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Agree, also glad that there is a AIDS project in progress. smile
[Jul 6, 2014 12:59:22 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
yoro42
Ace Cruncher
United States
Project Badges:

Agree, also glad that there is a AIDS project in progress. smile

Agree as well, also looking forward to a Multiple Sclerosis project some day.

[Jul 6, 2014 3:58:39 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread