Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 10
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2690 times and has 9 replies Next Thread
familycostacarrapa
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Convincing Reduction of CPU Throttle

My father doesn't like WCGrid very much. We're running Boinc on three laptops at full speed in two of them. I've tried persuading him to run at least at 60% in all threads (core i7 2x4) in the other one (his laptop, the most recent and powerful), but the most I've achieved is getting a mere 60% in only 25% (two) of threads (for a global of 15%), because he doesn't like the high heat and high cpu usage a greater use would require. I find these low numbers a great waste of CPU time. Does anybody have a similar situation where you found an argument that was useful in convincing your parent to use more CPU for WCGrid?

Note: we usually don't use CPU intensive apps or games.

Thank you for your time!
[Oct 9, 2014 2:48:53 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Convincing Reduction of CPU Throttle

If what you describe is a 4 core, hyperthreaded to 8, then setting the processor use to 50 percent and the cputime to 50 percent actually yields near 50 percent usage of maximum, yet gives least heat alert on laptops. The trick is, that at 50 percent of processors, you are really using the 4 physical cores -without- hyperthreading. Then throttling this down to the suggested level gives a 1 second pause, 1 second run cputime use for least firing of the ventilator, which is the annoying bit.
[Oct 9, 2014 2:58:53 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Crystal Pellet
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

Hi familycostacarrapa,

An i7 has 100C as maximum temperature and crunching for WCG with CPU set to 100% will heat up the laptop CPU to 80-90C.
Thus the fan has some work to do. One easy solution is to lay a pencil underneath the laptop towards the top to create a little airflow reducing the temperature with ~5C.

But I suppose the noise is what your father annoys the most, so you have to reduce the fan speed.

You can do that automatically with a program called TThrottle.

You may experiment with which temperature setting the fan noise is acceptable.

TThrottle Manual

TThrottle download page
----------------------------------------

[Oct 9, 2014 5:31:50 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
wcgridmember
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

First, thank you for spending the time to answer my post.

@lavaflow
Yes, the core i7 is 4 cores hyperthreaded to 8. I find the The 50%/50% suggestion great, but unfortunately my father is still not happy with it.

@Crystal Pellet
We have an external base with fan under the laptop in use. I think my father is more worried with the heat that is fealt when we put a hand near the side of the laptop, the graph of CPU usage in the system monitor and the effect of the usage of Boinc on the lifespan of the laptop than with the noise, although this could also be a reason for his concern. But I'll try suggesting him TThrottle in the next opportunity to see if he'll find it useful, thanks for the tip!
[Oct 10, 2014 8:33:48 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
vlado101
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

Hi wcgridmember,

I was also worried about the cpu usage on my laptop (also an i7) however I have been running it for several months 100% and other than making sure that I keep the dust out I have not experienced any overheating. I leave it on a cooling pad and also use it for work while its on 100%. The noise however is something that I was afraid of at first also, but after a while I got used to it and barely notice it at all.

Just wanted to share my experiences with using BOINC on a laptop. Hope this helps.

[Oct 11, 2014 2:21:52 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Heat from a laptop is only a problem if it's on your lap! I have mine on a hard surface so that there is good airflow and it runs 24/7 at 100% CPU (apart from when I take it somewhere with me, of course). As I write this the temperature is 81/83 for cores 0/1 running MCM1. The current beta made it run hotter, and the temperature goes up if I watch videos 'cos it's using the GPU too. I have temperature warnings set for 90/95 -- not because I'm afraid that anything will happen to destroy the machine, but because when it gets that hot the CPU is automatically throttled down and so the output goes down. At that point I get the vacuum cleaner out and clean out the dust from the vents!

I've had this machine for over 5.5 years and it's just fine running like this. A previous laptop I had died of a fan failure when it was so old that I didn't bother to replace the fan.

Engineers have told me that machines get far more stress from being turned off and on again than they do from being run flat out 24/7. Tell your father to stop worrying -- or get him to voice his specific concerns so that we can address them.
[Oct 11, 2014 10:05:56 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KLiK
Master Cruncher
Croatia
Project Badges:

all my laptops go from 50-80% of the CPU throttle...it's just that laptops aren't designed with high calculation in mind & lots of heat...

especially if u use hp laptops...I never go more than 50-60% on them!
though IBM, Lenovo & DELL can go up to 80%...no problems! especially the wider ones! ;)
oldies:UDgrid.org & PS3 Life@home

non-profit org. Play4Life in Zagreb, Croatia
[Oct 11, 2014 12:05:00 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
wcgridmember
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

@vlado101 and @Apis Tintinnambulator
I would probably do the same if the laptop was mine, but since it's not my hands are tied.

@Crystal Pellet
We tried TThrottle, but it seemed confusing to use. But I got him to go from 25%/60% to 50%/60%. Yay!
[Oct 11, 2014 1:40:00 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Falconet
Master Cruncher
Portugal
Project Badges:

My dual-core laptop is 7 years old and for a very long time, it ran BOINC at 100% CPU load with over 90º celsius. Never had any problems.
Nowadays, it runs at 100% CPU load and between 60º-67º celsius.

AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF 4C/8T 3.2 GHz - 85W
AMD Ryzen 5 2500U 4C/8T 2.0 GHz - 28W
Intel Z3740 4C/4T 1.8 GHz - 6W
[Oct 11, 2014 1:47:42 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ryan222h
Senior Cruncher

Must be the high fan noise that's getting to your father. Unfortunately in a laptop there's really no way to reduce this except for maybe just running one work unit at a time.

If you want a 24/7 stable power cruncher, you really need to go the desktop route with a huge fan cooler (hyper 212 or equivalent). You'll be able to run 8 work units at a time and not even know the computer is on.

[Oct 11, 2014 2:17:48 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread