Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 32
Posts: 32   Pages: 4   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 32040 times and has 31 replies Next Thread
Speedy51
Veteran Cruncher
New Zealand
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Interested in using Cloud computing

Thanks ICN50. Chris how do you go about installing Boinc in Linux are you able to install it from within Linux (search for it with in the app manage or whatever it is called) or do you have to download it from the official website? If it is needed to be downloaded from the official website I think it would be easier for me to use a Windows based system. Out of interest was your runtimes longer on the 8 cores or was it about the same time as your computer would process (assuming you had a physical machine on the project) Thanks for your help.
----------------------------------------

[May 14, 2015 12:27:59 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

You don't need to download BOINC from the website, and it is available from the OS repository by typing a single command. You have all the installation instructions here:
https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/help/viewTopic.do?shortName=boinc

You will need putty.exe on a Windows machine to connect remotely to your VPS/Cloud (including the private key).
[May 14, 2015 5:49:37 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KLiK
Master Cruncher
Croatia
Project Badges:

also I noticed that they don't crunch 24/7...you have to leave a connected client to the cloud server! wink
I'm not using Cloud computing (Google, Amazon, etc) because it is still expensive. I'm just using VPS.
Crunching UGM (as you can see my current badge), because low memory is OK.

I see apologies I never thought to look at your badges. The reason why I mentioned the 2 companies I did is because they come with free credit. I am not interested in paying for such a service

then you can also check Amazon...it gives 24h FREE cloud computing for FREE 1 year...but just 1 core of 2,5 E5-Xeon... wink
Speedy51, I ran the Google Free trial for about 60 days. I was able to spin up four virtual machines (2 cores each) running Ubuntu in almost no time. My free trial has now expired. I believe I was running Mapping Cancer Markers at the time.

After getting the vm setup I ran the following commands on each one to get them running BOINC.

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install boinc-client

sudo /etc/init.d/boinc-client restart

boinccmd --project_attach http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org < insert your Weak Account Key here without the angle brackets >

Your Weak Account Key is found under Settings: My Profile.

That was pretty much it. I then had 8 cores running 24/7 for 2 months.

thx for the tutoring...will try out more VMs on Google! ;)
oldies:UDgrid.org & PS3 Life@home

non-profit org. Play4Life in Zagreb, Croatia
[Edit 2 times, last edit by KLiK at May 14, 2015 10:26:25 AM]
[May 14, 2015 9:54:41 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Eric_Kaiser
Veteran Cruncher
Germany (Hessen)
Project Badges:

Everybody who is thinking about renting a root server should consider that he is responsible to secure the rented root server.

There are some not to difficult steps to perform to secure the server:
- Change root password
- Change port of ssh
- Create new user and password
- Forbid root to logon over ssh
- Only allow new user to logon over ssh; check that this user can switch to root
- Change ssh login to keyfile login and forbid password login on ssh
- If you have a fixed IP adress at home only allow login from this IP

The only risk in performing this steps is: If you don't work carefully you can lock yourself out of your server. For every step I highly recommend keeping a ssh session alive and test the changes with a second ssh session. In case something went wrong you have on session alive to revert the step(s).

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Eric_Kaiser at May 14, 2015 11:02:01 AM]
[May 14, 2015 11:00:44 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Speedy51
Veteran Cruncher
New Zealand
Project Badges:

Thanks for your post Eric. Since I have no knowledge of Linux it is probably a better idea that I use either server 2008 or server 2012 if I decide to go ahead with cloud computing?

[May 15, 2015 12:50:23 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Eric_Kaiser
Veteran Cruncher
Germany (Hessen)
Project Badges:

You're welcom Speedy.
I'm a newbee in linux too. The changes to secure a linux root server are not that complicated as it may look like.
At the moment I'm a little short in time to translate the tutorial I wrote in the wiki of my team to this issue from german to english.
I'm not sure how good e.g. google translate will work on the tutorial but you may give it a try: How to secure a root server.

Hopefully I'll find a little time to write a brief extract of the wiki tutorial here in english.
But feel free to ask.

[May 15, 2015 9:14:06 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Speedy51
Veteran Cruncher
New Zealand
Project Badges:

Eric it seems Google Google cannot translate the page at all. There is no hurry.

[May 16, 2015 10:43:03 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
OldChap
Veteran Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:

It works if you copy and paste the text

[May 17, 2015 2:01:00 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Speedy51
Veteran Cruncher
New Zealand
Project Badges:

It works if you copy and paste the text

Thank you I have tried this and it worked. I will this ago if I create a cloud account

[May 17, 2015 5:45:32 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

To test, page translation in Chrome works perfectly fine, retaining the full wiki layout. Paste the url from Eric into the address box, enter and right top the offer pops up to translate. Of course, machine translation is questionable, so editing is required before republishing, getting such as "Additional or optional Maßnamen" ;P

[Eric being a newbie to Linux... such modesty ;>]
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at May 17, 2015 8:59:58 AM]
[May 17, 2015 8:58:31 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 32   Pages: 4   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread