Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 20
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2125 times and has 19 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Not running despite plenty of memory

For several days I have been unable to restart my tasks. The 'error' message claims that projects need eg 2.5Gb and I only have 0.0. Well, I actually have three HDs with oodles of space so I cannot crack the meaning of the message. This also happened many months back but I don't know how to fix it. Can anyone help?

Lawrence
[Aug 3, 2015 12:38:01 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Not running despite plenty of storage space

Your oodles of storage-space is useless if there's lots of space used in the BOINC data directory, -that- is the measure by which the client goes. Better check there what's lurking. [And recommend to just up the BOINC setting "Use No More Then nn GB] to get around this until you figured out why the data_dir is fully loaded]. The Disk tab tells about the totals being used, by project and others.

The path to where the data_dir is, is printed at top of the Event Log (Ctrl+Shft+E)

Edit: An example what the Disk Tab of BOINC shows, the grey pie being of more interest, exhibiting what is being really used. As can be seen, I've allowed 5GB, which covers the max size for CEP2, but use only 1.16 for WCG [right side pie].

----------------------------------------
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Former Member at Aug 3, 2015 1:17:09 PM]
[Aug 3, 2015 12:50:05 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

FYI, using an exclusive BOINC partition for various reasons, one being, nothing can creep up on that virtual drive.
[Aug 3, 2015 1:19:17 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Attempt 2 - to post!!!!

Used by BOIN 335Mb; free 23Gb.

So surely this is correct?

FWIW the network comms 'update' now keeps resetting to 'delay 2 minutes'.

Lawrence
[Aug 3, 2015 2:14:08 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Attempt number two too: How much does the "free, available to BOINC " indicate?

Yes, long as you don't resolve the -ALLOWED- storage issue, the network counter will continue to back-off.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Aug 3, 2015 2:27:51 PM]
[Aug 3, 2015 2:25:48 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Sorry - I cannot find any such parameter. Not shown in 'computing preference'.

Lawrence
[Aug 3, 2015 5:30:16 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

What client version is this? (The menu structures have changed multiple times between 5, 6, 7 and 7.6)
[Aug 3, 2015 6:19:59 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

[Aug 3, 2015 6:39:48 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Just wondered, English -Not- my native tongue, what you read and what you were looking for, but it was:

1) On the gray Disk usage tab Pie legend [screenshot]: "free, available to BOINC " which tells how much spare the allowed for BOINC. What did it say?

2) In client Computing Preferences on the Disk & Memory tab : "Use No More Then nn GB". Default is 10GB. In some client versions you can even enter 0 which makes the allowance total free disk space. What did it say before you increased it?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Aug 3, 2015 7:07:10 PM]
[Aug 3, 2015 6:58:00 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

1 - no, it does not say that. It says 'free 23.05Gb' and 'used by BOINC 335Mb'

2 - no, it does not say that. It says 'use at most 200Gb' It previously said 75Gb or so.

Lawrence
[Aug 3, 2015 7:42:32 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread