Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 45
Posts: 45   Pages: 5   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7973 times and has 44 replies Next Thread
theodolite
Advanced Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: TOP 1% crunchers, ONLY!

we are the BEST of the BEST...a TOP 1% of WCG!

don't u think we would need to make a some sort of agreement that others (99% of WCG) would follow?!
You have arbitrarily chosen a number of 1%; maybe you should have chosen .5% or .1% or .01% instead. PLUS you need to define how to calculate the percentage. Are you using the total members of just over 701K or using the contributing members of just under 500K? We will need to know whether these 2K members are in or out. Would you use Points of WU as the measure instead? You could blend or even average the placement in each category and even weight one category more than the others. Great responsibilities you bear.

Best of the Best infers there is a Best and also a MORE BEST. If your 1% is actually the More Best (ie: The Best of the Best), you are simply ignoring the Best, which should be first recognized so that we can acknowledge their contribution. But you haven't identified who the Best is. How can you skip over the Best? To have someone be the Best and then just ignore them seems cruel.

Once the Best is acknowledged, you can then move on to the next level, the Best of the Best. I don't understand what decisions this group is supposed to make or what management tasks this group will be required to implement, but by being the Best of the Best, they must truly be OVER-qualified to setup standards and make the rules. We can then spend time kowtowing to their accomplishments and blindly following their tenets and canons. wink

Then you should move on to the next level, the Fabulous of the Best of the Best. This could be the top 0.1%. At this level we are really starting to deal with the big hitters. These are the members who should really be setting the standards for others to follow. After all, they are they key part of the Best of the Best. We can't really leave it up to the Best of the Best who are not nearly as dedicated. smile

But really then we need to lift up the Extraordinary of the Fabulous of the Best of the Best: the 50 (or 70) members who are really laying it down each day. This is whom we should be turning to for guidance and control. biggrin

It will be really hard to have to tell the member in 51st (or 71st) place that are not really that Extraordinary but merely Fabulous. Gosh I don't want to be in your shoes have to dole out that decision. Worse than that would to be in 50th place and then fall to 51st and have to be relegated to the lower division. Tough times. crying

Heavily laced with extensive sarcasm laughing Yet filled with a cohesive thread of truth cool
[Sep 9, 2015 8:47:26 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
cjslman
Master Cruncher
Mexico
Project Badges:

... you are just compensating lack of computational power with many messages to get some more status
hahaha... that made me laugh ! laughing I've been called a lot of things, but this is a first.
I think you already have your answer... I count 7-8 "one percenters" that have participated in this thread. Luck.

CJSL

Crunching like there's no tomorrow...
----------------------------------------
I follow the Gimli philosophy: "Keep breathing. That's the key. Breathe."
Join The Cahuamos Team

[Sep 9, 2015 11:33:26 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
uplinger
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:

Greetings all,

First and foremost, I would like to say we are grateful for all contributions towards World Community Grid, large and small. We hope that everyone continues to contribute towards World Community Grid for years as many of you already have.

Having rules or guidelines to follow for crunches doesn't really work as every member has their own opinions on how to operate/donate their computer time. For example myself, I would like to get to 100 years of cpu time for each project, once there I focus on another, this is my individual/personal way of crunching.

- now I pursue OET & UGM research ONLY! giving others a way to catch their badges...but that also means I don't share my computational power with other finishing projects!

I am sure others in the forums who are striving for the next badge level appreciate you not claiming results, but in the end, you can't guarantee that someone in a specific group isn't looking for the next badge, it is on the individual level.

- but if we (TOP 1% of crunchers) agree on selecting projects withing a 1 month of completion...then I will also select FA@h & MCM research, so that science can be finished sooner!

The backend tries to make projects run evenly. If more people select a project towards the end, then it will dilute the number of results getting sent to users with multiple projects selected. It won't necessarily increase the runtime speed of a project as the backend tries to keep research projects having an even runtime (when everything is running well for projects).

As for rules, the first rule of crunch club is that you don't talk about crunch club.

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?! first rule of crunch club is to get your friends to sign up to crunch club. Tell everyone!!! In all seriousness I know many of you have recruited many members over the years, please continue to do so! :)

cjslman and I have had numerous conversations in the past and I can tell you that his activity in the forums is to help World Community Grid. Claiming that anyone's contribution is any lesser or greater than another's contribution based solely on their runtime, points or results is not quantifying every aspect of their donation. World Community Grid depends on all of our members.

thanks,
-Uplinger
[Sep 10, 2015 3:18:33 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

don't u think we would need to make a some sort of agreement that others (99% of WCG) would follow?!
cool

No. People can crunch what they want, when they want. No one should tell someone when you reach your goal, go to a different project. Think of the extra work they did beyond their goal as extra credit.

I have no interest in OET; so I don't crunch it; I do get a WU every now and then though. If others want to crunch OET, more power to them.

I view ending a project as quick as possible more important than badges. The science will save lives; a badge is nothing compared to life.

Why not end the FAAH and MCM project?

Here's a challenge. Can we complete FAAH and MCM by the end of the quarter? By complete, I mean no new WU's being sent.
[Sep 10, 2015 3:39:18 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

But who cares if a project that has 1 month left gets completed in 15 days instead of 30? The scientists probably won't analyse that last data within several months/probably years to come.

It doesn't matter if the projects takes 30 days or 15 to finish.

But in MCM past results were driving new WU's, so they were being analyzed years down the road. Sure there is a lag, but waiting on the scientists is better than the scientists waiting on us. 15-days could mean the life or death of many people. Say the scientists sit on the data for six months, that six months would be 15-days sooner if we finished the project 15-days sooner.
[Sep 10, 2015 3:45:45 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
uplinger
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:

Ianbrown,

Yes it would be nice to complete projects faster for the researchers. The best way to do that is to recruit more members to World Community Grid, which would bring more devices active.

By moving processing power to complete a project by 15 days means you just extended the project time for the other projects on World Community Grid. There is a finite amount of volunteer computing power on World Community Grid.

The best way to get this done is to increase the overall throughput of the grid from say 500 CPU Years per day to 1000 CPU years per day. That way all projects get the benefit for accelerating.

Thanks,
-Uplinger
[Sep 10, 2015 4:13:20 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

... you are just compensating lack of computational power with many messages to get some more status
hahaha... that made me laugh ! laughing I've been called a lot of things, but this is a first.
I think you already have your answer... I count 7-8 "one percenters" that have participated in this thread. Luck.

CJSL

Crunching like there's no tomorrow...

Some use others' computational resources without the others knowing, but to extend the joke, must be over-compensating and seriously deficient.

<---------- No badges to boast
A no percenter, the best of the best of the very best, MIB \infty
[Sep 10, 2015 6:51:07 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KLiK
Master Cruncher
Croatia
Project Badges:

we are the BEST of the BEST...a TOP 1% of WCG!

You have arbitrarily chosen a number of 1%; maybe you should have chosen .5% or .1% or .01% instead. PLUS you need to define how to calculate the percentage. Are you using the total members of just over 701K or using the contributing members of just under 500K? We will need to know whether these 2K members are in or out. Would you use Points of WU as the measure instead? You could blend or even average the placement in each category and even weight one category more than the others. Great responsibilities you bear.

But really then we need to lift up the Extraordinary of the Fabulous of the Best of the Best: the 50 (or 70) members who are really laying it down each day. This is whom we should be turning to for guidance and control. biggrin

It will be really hard to have to tell the member in 51st (or 71st) place that are not really that Extraordinary but merely Fabulous. Gosh I don't want to be in your shoes have to dole out that decision. Worse than that would to be in 50th place and then fall to 51st and have to be relegated to the lower division. Tough times. crying

let's not be such harsh...& make it 1% in any of the instances (time, points, results)...
some people may have slower computer with less points & less results...but the get more time if they have access to several of those...it would be great to include them also & their knowledge!
wink

also, if someone is not in list of 1%, or it's 51st - sorry guy, try it out harder!
& that is how Life works... cool

- but if we (TOP 1% of crunchers) agree on selecting projects withing a 1 month of completion...then I will also select FA@h & MCM research, so that science can be finished sooner!

The backend tries to make projects run evenly. If more people select a project towards the end, then it will dilute the number of results getting sent to users with multiple projects selected. It won't necessarily increase the runtime speed of a project as the backend tries to keep research projects having an even runtime (when everything is running well for projects).

thanks,
-Uplinger

well, I don't concur with you!

if I don't select FA@h & MCM, then they get 0% of my (about) 100GFs...
if I do select them for finishing projects sooner, those project get 10-20-30% of my 100GFs grid...so they the job gets finished earlier! & other project will slow down also with my selecting 2 new projects in my project preferences...
wink

that is also the reason why I wanted to talk to "top contributors", so that we get a "joint effort" to speed up finishing of the project in last days...or not?!

But who cares if a project that has 1 month left gets completed in 15 days instead of 30? The scientists probably won't analyse that last data within several months/probably years to come.

It doesn't matter if the projects takes 30 days or 15 to finish.

But in MCM past results were driving new WU's, so they were being analyzed years down the road. Sure there is a lag, but waiting on the scientists is better than the scientists waiting on us. 15-days could mean the life or death of many people. Say the scientists sit on the data for six months, that six months would be 15-days sooner if we finished the project 15-days sooner.

that is the idea...& if some people would see that several projects slow down towards the end...some 'cause of the "badge getting"...some 'cause of lack of interest...some 'cause of giving a time to "others to get badges"...

the TOP contributors can change that...if they want to...if they want to get involved 6 vote if they are up to it?
or NOT...& nothing will change...it will be all random sequencing...& what will happen, will happen...chaos theory @ it's best!
cool
oldies:UDgrid.org & PS3 Life@home

non-profit org. Play4Life in Zagreb, Croatia
[Edit 2 times, last edit by KLiK at Sep 10, 2015 7:34:11 AM]
[Sep 10, 2015 7:02:50 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Byteball_730a2960
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

KLiK,
do you see anyone agreeing with you on this idea?
[Sep 11, 2015 12:17:05 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
deltavee
Ace Cruncher
Texas Hill Country
Project Badges:

thanks,
-Uplinger

well, I don't concur with you!

if I don't select FA@h & MCM, then they get 0% of my (about) 100GFs...
if I do select them for finishing projects sooner, those project get 10-20-30% of my 100GFs grid...so they the job gets finished earlier! & other project will slow down also with my selecting 2 new projects in my project preferences...
-KLiK

KLiK,
I don't think you understand what Uplinger is trying to tell you. It doesn't matter what we crunch. The WCG controls the balance of work for each project. Even if you could get an appreciable number of crunchers to shift to one project or another it would not make any difference. The WCG will always keep a preset even runtime for each project. The vast majority of crunching is done by members who don't micromanage, but instead have all projects selected, and let the WCG feed them workunits at a rate to maintain the runtime balance Uplinger mentions.

[Sep 11, 2015 1:32:14 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 45   Pages: 5   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread