Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 139
Posts: 139   Pages: 14   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 81123 times and has 138 replies Next Thread
KLiK
Master Cruncher
Croatia
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: WCG's ethical guidelines for volunteer DC

maybe some response from WCG would be given, when this non-profit & humanitarian project called CEP2 of Harward university goes to PRESS?
imagine what would PRESS write about Harward & it's scientists?
LG corp included...
wink
----------------------------------------
oldies:UDgrid.org & PS3 Life@home

non-profit org. Play4Life in Zagreb, Croatia
[Sep 17, 2015 7:24:41 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I think that would be taking it one step too far. Besides, they are probably not interested anyway.
[Sep 17, 2015 8:25:34 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KLiK
Master Cruncher
Croatia
Project Badges:

I think that would be taking it one step too far. Besides, they are probably not interested anyway.

that is precisely why would they have to be interested...so that admins, techs or even CEP2 scientists explain us their connection with LG corp or affiliated companies!
cool

p.s. my CEP2 research is @ stand-by until WCG or CEP2 scientists explain themselves about questions asked here! my suggestion to all of u who do care about "donating your computer power for humanitarian research" re-think about CEP2 project...
wink
oldies:UDgrid.org & PS3 Life@home

non-profit org. Play4Life in Zagreb, Croatia
[Sep 18, 2015 6:16:44 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

KLiK, I'm guessing most projects, if not all, have researchers with connections to commercial interest groups. What I'm asking for is that WCG formulates a code of ethics and best conduct paper which all internal and external researchers have to sign. This paper should, at the very least, require them to list all current employers, but perhaps also commercial interest group collaborators that are relevant to the project.

Without it, today's system is encouraging fraudulent behavior.

I want transparency, not to ban those researchers who have some kind of corporate connection. That way some, like you in the CEP2 case, will be able to steer away from projects you don't want to donate your computing time to.

I've been aware of the irregularities in the CEP2 project since I started crunching, but have decided to continue anyway. I think the project is too important to ignore. See? This is how it should be. Transparent requests for help followed by informed, eyes open donations.
[Sep 18, 2015 5:07:25 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

As TBMS says, there's often an overlap between industry and academia. If an individual is involved in both it's probably an indication that they're very good at what they do.

The CEP2 data is made available to anyone in their online database here... https://cepdb.molecularspace.org/

As one of the top 1% I'd be happy to contribute exclusively to CEP2 to pick up your slack if you want to give up.

Whatever we do, in whatever project, our results (freely available to all) will ultimately end up being used to create a product which will be sold by a company for a profit. I'm here to contribute to the sum of human knowledge that anyone can then use to create solutions to the world's problems.
[Sep 18, 2015 7:58:20 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

The CEP2 data is made available to anyone in their online database here... https://cepdb.molecularspace.org/

The database is not updated in real time. This gives some OLED companies ample time to patent molecules ahead of corporations that don't have employees working inside the project or cooperating with the project, and that's OK, as long as the donors are aware of it. This is not the case today.

I'm here to contribute to the sum of human knowledge that anyone can then use to create solutions to the world's problems.

I too, but I still want transparency. I don't know why this is even debated -- or not. WCG, who is the only one able to disinfect the wound, is silent. Transparency is morally self-evident, especially when you're soliciting people for money, which is what WCG is doing when they're asking us to donate computer time and in the process ending up having to pay higher energy bills. I want to donate, but not to anybody.

Let me explain. If my only concern was how to "contribute to the sum of human knowledge", I could just as well have given the money directly to an OLED company, and let them use it to pay their electric bills when their high performance computers crunch these algorithms. For obvious reasons this approach doesn't appeal to me. Why, because this approach doesn't let anyone "create solutions to the world's problems".

This is what happens when some pro-profit corporations -- and all healthy corporations are entirely motivated by greed, or they wouldn't be financially healthy -- get access to pre-released data. They lock the knowledge into a proprietary solution with the sole purpose of extracting maximum financial return, as opposed to the nonprofit goal, which is to extract maximum social return. I know that having the researchers signing a "code of ethics and best conduct"-letter wont prevent leaks, but it will mitigate the problem and we will be donating our money in a more transparent manner. How can that be wrong? WCG?

IBM?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Sep 20, 2015 5:44:53 PM]
[Sep 18, 2015 9:58:14 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Patent something based on publicly available information? How long does the DB update take compared to a patent application? Doesn't patent evaluation include establishing novelty and invention?

I can only assume that you either own shares in a paper company or you're one of those people so obsessed by admin that you're determined to strangle the efforts of anyone trying to actually do anything in order to satisfy your obsession.

I'm with Sgt Joe - I'm worried about the end of the universe, space bats and break-dancing unicorns, but I'll waste no more time on this nonsense (too busy crunching).
[Sep 18, 2015 10:29:26 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Patent something based on publicly available information? How long does the DB update take compared to a patent application? Doesn't patent evaluation include establishing novelty and invention?

You can patent most things that improves function or form, and a new organic molecule would certainly establish novelty and invention, even if it, by that time, has become publicly available information. And let's not forget that the database only represents mathematical approximations, guesswork, not the actual molecule's physical properties, which is what the patent application is based on. The database is not updated in real-time and when it comes to patents, it's first come first granted on a country basis. China, for instance, no longer recognizes patents which are not first submitted in China.

I can only assume that you either own shares in a paper company or you're one of those people so obsessed by admin that you're determined to strangle the efforts of anyone trying to actually do anything in order to satisfy your obsession.

Well, you certainly told me ... Why do you assume transparency would "strangle the efforts of anyone trying to actually do anything"? Is it because you think the projects wouldn't be able to withstand the act of illumination, the moral scrutiny? Are you saying I should be quite for the greater good? I disagree. I think people would crunch anyway, just as I'm doing right now with the CEP2 project.

I'm not asking for an arm and a leg. I'm asking the researchers to sign a "code of ethics and best conduct"-letter, where they list all their employers, current and former, during the past 24 months. Why should that be treated as a secret, especially when they are asking people for money?

I'm with Sgt Joe - I'm worried about the end of the universe, space bats and break-dancing unicorns, but I'll waste no more time on this nonsense (too busy crunching).

I'll miss chatting with you ...
[Sep 18, 2015 11:44:00 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
twilyth
Master Cruncher
US
Project Badges:

You can patent most things that improves function or form, and a new organic molecule would certainly establish novelty and invention, even if it, by that time, has become publicly available information. And let's not forget that the database only represents mathematical approximations, guesswork, not the actual molecule's physical properties, which is what the patent application is based on. The database is not updated in real-time and when it comes to patents, it's first come first granted on a country basis. China, for instance, no longer recognizes patents which are not first submitted in China.

Unless you're a patent lawyer, you have no idea what can or can't be patented.

My personal guess, having been a member of the bar in one of my previous careers is that any process or invention based upon data that, by written agreement known to all parties involved stating that said data could not be patented, would be unable to enforce any patent they received.

That doesn't mean that a company like LG for example couldn't rush to the patent office with their newly acquired data and get a patent. What it means is that the patent most likely wouldn't be enforceable since LG either knew or should have know that the data was being generated pursuant to an agreement which required the data to be available in the public domain.

IOW, my best guess is that LG would be subject to either equitable estoppel or some other type of equitable punishment for trying to end-run the agreement that the researchers had with WCG.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by twilyth at Sep 19, 2015 12:41:49 AM]
[Sep 19, 2015 12:40:10 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Sir, this is the real world. Not some theoretical construct where lawyers outwit each other after throwing a glove on the ground.

OLED companies do not have any agreement with WCG. They are free to conduct their experimental research anyway they want and it's the experimental research that form the basis for a patent application. So if an OLED company submits a patent application, it becomes virtually impossible for outsiders to know how they got their idea to build and test that specific carbon molecule. They could have stumbled upon it by accident or they could have been running their own computer simulations. Who knows? The only way to prove they got the idea from CEP2 is if some insider decides to sing.

Again, the database is a bunch of guesswork, not the physical properties of the carbon based molecules. The patents are based on measured physical properties. Until the values in the database are confirmed in a laboratory, they are not worth anymore than the values derived from a beer drinking and dart throwing monkey. 99% of crunchers are not aware of this. They think the values are absolute physical values. Good enough to be written in stone. Just as they are not aware of the fluid boundaries between the researchers and different commercial interest groups. Why? Because they trust WCG, who is telling them only the rosy parts of the story.

All this is so superfluous. Why discuss these farfetched what-ifs, when all I'm doing is asking -- I'm now getting tired of repeating myself, so I'm just going to copy and paste my previous comment -- "the researchers to sign a "code of ethics and best conduct"-letter, where they list all their employers, current and former, during the past 24 months. Why should that be treated as a secret, especially when they are asking people for their money?"

IBM?

Yes, IBM. I want to smear this *** on them.

*edited to appropriate forum language - ErikaT
[Edit 2 times, last edit by ErikaT at Sep 21, 2015 11:31:20 AM]
[Sep 19, 2015 2:52:48 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 139   Pages: 14   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread