Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 9
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1125 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
Aperture_Science_Innovators
Advanced Cruncher
United States
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Multiple project priority levels?

Is there any way that we can select multiple tiers of project priority? For instance, I'd like to be able to set one project to be the "main" one my systems crunch--FAAH2 for instance. Then, if there's no available WUs from it, my computers would get work from a set of other projects (OET, MCM1, FAAH1). My goal here is to exclude CEP2 from my computers (most of them don't have nearly enough RAM or disk capability to run it well) while prioritizing one project and making the others a fallback option.
----------------------------------------

[Oct 1, 2015 2:21:06 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
SekeRob
Master Cruncher
Re: Multiple project priority levels?

No, the only way to individually balance is using app_config.xml and if you are the proud owner of multiple crunchers, to assign different profiles to the various devices. Other than an overall task volume control that pushes an N number of tasks per project into the shared memory [periodically manually adjusted based on current average runtime per task], there's no mechanism in the distributor system.

Effectively, if you choose sub1+sub2 out of sub1-sub5, you'll get whatever is in the feeder at the time of the work request of those 2 subs. BOINC requests N seconds of work and that is what you get if the feeder has it, in whatever available mix, at the overall set pool weights [if both are available at the weight set]. Effectively, exclusive hunters draw all at this time lof the low share/low priority FAHB, so my OET1+FAHB profile is only receiving OET1. The device set to only receive FAHB has no trouble to keep the buffer backfilled, set low as the short deadline makes them go into high priority very quickly when not started... EDF panic.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by SekeRob* at Oct 1, 2015 3:07:00 PM]
[Oct 1, 2015 2:56:57 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Advanced Cruncher
United States
Project Badges:

No, the only way to individually balance is using app_config.xml and if you are the proud owner of multiple crunchers, to assign different profiles to the various devices. Other than an overall task volume control that pushes an N number of tasks per project into the shared memory [periodically manually adjusted based on current average runtime per task], there's no mechanism in the distributor system.

Effectively, if you choose sub1+sub2 out of sub1-sub5, you'll get whatever is in the feeder at the time of the work request of those 2 subs. BOINC requests N seconds of work and that is what you get if the feeder has it, in whatever available mix.

Well, I know that there's not really any convenient way to do it now (and with well over two dozen systems, app_config is too painful). It was mostly a question of whether o not the scheduler/website could be setup to do this. I would like to guarantee work from multiple projects but CEP2 just cannot happen. With 8GB of RAM and a 64thread system, all other projects work (not with a lot of free RAM but works nonetheless) but CEP2 is far too heavy.

[Oct 1, 2015 3:04:02 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KLiK
Master Cruncher
Croatia
Project Badges:

Is there any way that we can select multiple tiers of project priority? For instance, I'd like to be able to set one project to be the "main" one my systems crunch--FAAH2 for instance. Then, if there's no available WUs from it, my computers would get work from a set of other projects (OET, MCM1, FAAH1). My goal here is to exclude CEP2 from my computers (most of them don't have nearly enough RAM or disk capability to run it well) while prioritizing one project and making the others a fallback option.

yes there is!

U go to WCG site & select:
- FAHB project to execute
- also to get any other projects that might be available

so u will get all jobs, exept CEP2...'cause u haven't got a good enough exipment for CEP2!

p.s. see if u can put on WCG site to give u 0 jobs of CEP2...that would also help!
oldies:UDgrid.org & PS3 Life@home

non-profit org. Play4Life in Zagreb, Croatia
[Oct 1, 2015 4:42:15 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Advanced Cruncher
United States
Project Badges:

yes there is!

U go to WCG site & select:
- FAHB project to execute
- also to get any other projects that might be available

so u will get all jobs, exept CEP2...'cause u haven't got a good enough exipment for CEP2!

p.s. see if u can put on WCG site to give u 0 jobs of CEP2...that would also help!

??? What ???
What do you mean?

[Oct 1, 2015 7:02:45 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Have a think about the published minimum system requirements for CEP2 and whether you could make use of that info wink
[Oct 1, 2015 8:58:00 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KLiK
Master Cruncher
Croatia
Project Badges:

Have a think about the published minimum system requirements for CEP2 and whether you could make use of that info wink

thanks for answering! wink

[Oct 1, 2015 9:37:42 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
noderaser
Senior Cruncher
United States
Project Badges:

With 8GB of RAM and a 64thread system, all other projects work (not with a lot of free RAM but works nonetheless) but CEP2 is far too heavy.

Sounds like a multi-threaded app would be up your alley... Too bad WCG doesn't use any, but there are other BOINC projects that do. I have become a fan of them because of the reduced memory overhead, but there are others who prefer having their cores split up with a number of projects.
[Oct 5, 2015 1:09:31 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KLiK
Master Cruncher
Croatia
Project Badges:

also, on that note:
- put fast Win machines to crunch on FAHB
- put LINUXes to crunch on OET, MCM & FAHV/FAHA jobs
that is what I've done...with different settings in Device Manager & Device Profiles...
cool

[Oct 5, 2015 6:27:20 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread