Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 3
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 693 times and has 2 replies Next Thread
Magiceye04
Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
run time calculated completely wrong

Hi!

At the moment i am crunching on HELP STOP TB on an old Notebook using Ubuntu.

The problem is: the run time of the work units is calculated completely wrong.
instead of the realistic 60-70 hours the boinc manager says 10 hours and gets a lot of work units that sometimes don't get finished in time.

Normal/other projects are recalulating the run time after some work units done and then the run time is more or less correct.
But WCG always uses the same wrong run time all the time.

Question1: sometimes i crunch some Zika-WUs, which are very short.
Is WCG using an average run time value over all sub-projects or does every project have its own run time calculation?

Question2: is there any parameter in an INI-File which i can adjust to get a correct run time?

The only solution i have, is aborting about 50-60% of the WUs from time to time to avoid that they hit the deadline. But i dont think, that this is a good solution. It would be better, if WCG gives me the correct run time.

Best Regards
MagicEye
[Jul 14, 2016 10:15:48 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ca05065
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:
Re: run time calculated completely wrong

Each sub-project has its own run time calculation.

The easiest method to avoid having too many work units queued on your machine is to set the 'minimum work buffer' to 1 day and 'additional work buffer' to zero. Even if the estimated time is wrong by a factor of 10, there still should be enough time to complete all work units in the queue.
[Jul 14, 2016 9:01:54 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Magiceye04
Cruncher
Project Badges:
Re: run time calculated completely wrong

OK, then there is a bug in the calculation of Help STop TB.

If i set it to 1 day, then it happens very often, that the machine runs out of work.
So for me its better to abort the WUs sometimes if i cannot adjust the run time from my side.
[Jul 23, 2016 12:36:06 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread