Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 181
Posts: 181   Pages: 19   [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 149026 times and has 180 replies Next Thread
Viktors
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:
Viktors Updates

As you may have noticed, we received a couple more targets to run for the Smash Childhood Cancer project.

One is beta-catenin which is implicated in several cancers including craniopharyngioma (pituitary gland tumor), a subset of medulloblastoma (tumor at thebase of the brain), hepatoblastoma (liver cancer), and subsets of some adult cancers including liver and colon cancers.

Another target Lib28B is implicated in many pediatric cancers such as neuroblastoma, Wilm's tumor (kidney), hepatoblastoma (liver), and others.

With the power of the grid we will go through these target relatively quickly. However, the researchers are working on identifying more targets. Part of the delay is in determining the atomic structure of a target molecule. This can be a difficult process that can sometimes take years. Computational structure prediction methods are used for smaller molecules. For larger molecules, x-ray crystallography must be used. But for that to work, they first need to make crystals of the target molecule. It is easy to grow salt crystals in a brine solution as you may have done in science class. But crystallizing proteins and other large molecules can be quite challenging. They try mixing in other chemicals which may coax the molecules into crystals. This is a difficult, mostly trial-and-error task. Complicating things further is the problem that some molecules can flex which makes this all the more difficult. Once they have a crystal of the target molecule, they shine monochromatic x-ray light through it and the atoms diffract the x-rays leaving a unique pattern on the film. If you squint at a yellow sodium street light at a distance at night, you might see diffraction patterns around the light because the edge of your eyelid and eyelashes diffract the light. The same happens with x-rays. X-rays have much shorter wave lengths than visible light, so they are useful in finding the positions of things as small as atoms. Computational techniques are used to figure out where the atoms must have been located to create the given diffraction pattern. This method was used over 60 years ago to finally determine that DNA was a double helix. But back then they didn't have powerful computers to help decipher the x-ray pattern.
[May 20, 2017 12:47:58 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KLiK
Master Cruncher
Croatia
Project Badges:
Re: Viktors Updates

ECD from WCG is still on 19th of Jun...when we can expect more accurate result? ;)
----------------------------------------
oldies:UDgrid.org & PS3 Life@home

non-profit org. Play4Life in Zagreb, Croatia
[May 20, 2017 9:14:11 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
duanebong
Advanced Cruncher
Singapore
Project Badges:

Thanks a lot for the update, it is much appreciated. Since there is more work planned in the pipeline, I might try for the 10Y badge afterall...!

[May 21, 2017 2:15:13 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Seoulpowergrid
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

Thank you much for the update.

[May 21, 2017 2:46:46 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gb009761
Master Cruncher
Scotland
Project Badges:

Yes, thank you Viktors for that update. Now that I'm closing in on my Sapphire HSTB badge, I'm beginning to turn my attention to seriously boosting my personal contribution to this project - initially to Emerald, and then. if possible, to Sapphire.

[May 21, 2017 5:03:09 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Thank you for the update, it is good that you keep volunteers showing what you have achieved and what is to come. It was good that you used simple language and basic science ideas that could or should be understood by most of us. smile If you had used an in depth language, it would perhaps cause "brain melting biggrin " and not at all helpful. Keep up the good work and please tell us what is to come.
[May 22, 2017 8:03:11 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ErikaT
Former World Community Grid Admin
USA
Project Badges:

ECD from WCG is still on 19th of Jun...when we can expect more accurate result? ;)

The estimated completion date is an accurate estimate at this time. When more work units have been added, the date will be updated. Again, these progress bars are going to be re evaluated during the 3rd quarter (hopefully).

Thanks,
ErikaT
[May 22, 2017 6:33:29 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ThreadRipper
Veteran Cruncher
Sweden
Project Badges:

Thanks for the well-formulated update, much appreciated!

Join The International Team: https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=CK9RP1BKX1

AMD TR2990WX @ PBO, 64GB Quad 3200MHz 14-17-17-17-1T, RX6900XT @ Stock
AMD 3800X @ PBO
AMD 2700X @ 4GHz
[May 22, 2017 10:14:58 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Carlos R. Moreira
Cruncher
Brazil
Project Badges:

I did rounded up on Sapphire badge on SCC, but with those additional work units i'll be able to get my first Diamond badge after i came back crunching for WCG after couple years i had to stay away because of work related. ./Cheers

[May 23, 2017 11:15:19 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Seoulpowergrid
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

The estimated completion date is now 5 days away. Are we going to get a sudden burst of new WUs the day before like MCM likes to do?

[Jun 9, 2017 2:05:26 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 181   Pages: 19   [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread