Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 246
Posts: 246   Pages: 25   [ Previous Page | 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 120675 times and has 245 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: FC Language United

Confused installment
raised eyebrow far too many 'jern i ilden'
Trying to teach myself creating playlists on YouTube which will make it easier to listen to/watch all the good stuff you ship to me
(my inner 'skabstysker' at work).
Thank you for the music; I have sampled them all, but will view/listen to them mañana. I can tell you off the cuff that "Anyone who has a heart" is a favorite of mine, and I happened to have it up just a couple of days ago.

Also trying to brush up my nederlands for that job opportunity even as WikiWoordenboek teases me.
Every time I try to listen to 'hoef' (you have to start somewhere, and I'm sure my future students will look at it the same way) I get:
"Do you want to open or save Nl-hoef.ogg (14,3 KB) from upload.wikimedia.org?"
"No thank you, I don't! I just want to listen and learn how to say 'hoef', please. Is that really too much to ask for?"
The English and German Wiktionaries work beautifully, now, but how shall I get started on my nederlandse pronunciation.
Help is on the way:
When KLiKing the 'hulp' it informs me of various ways to get forward
- an IrfanView plug-in is one possibility.
If I KLiK 'bestand' (which undoubtedly means 'bistand' which I thought was the same as 'hulp'/'Hilfe'/'help'/'hjælp'
- what's the difference between 'hulp' and 'bestand'? Oh, it may be 'support'?
I get the engine compartment of an oceanliner. But it will play 'hoef' for me. Only thing: It's a very short sound and not very articulate, to say the least. Maybe my computer's power is spent crunching. I guess you cannot make short words longsounding ... well, I'll look closer into this mañana.

To make this utter confusion perfect, adriverhoef gave me a new recipe for managing my posts just as I was about getting used to the first he gave me, and which tastes real GOOD.
rose Thank you. I know I'll like it mañana.

And here is pretty Smilende Sussi whom the boys milled around like the remaining honey bees around buddleias, but who chose to go to university ...
And Otto Brandenburg - we called him the 'back yard puma' because of his very relaxed relationship to booze - and we all had this way of pronouncing English, which I shall do my best to communicate to my future students biggrin
Good night and thank you for one more fun day.

Dustbunnies? blushing mañana cool
EDIT: Fixed another dead song link for "What Do You Wanna Make Those Eyes at Me for? batting eyelashes
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Oct 20, 2017 11:31:52 PM]
[Oct 20, 2017 9:26:20 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
adriverhoef
Master Cruncher
The Netherlands
Project Badges:

To learn somewhat more about pronunciation of some Dutch words and get some idea of Dutch grammar, I decided to pick two popular songs from 1966 and 1967: Dans je de hele nacht met mij? ("Tanzt du die ganze Nacht mit mir", "Do you dance all night with me") and Wat moet ik doen? ("Was soll ich tun", "What should I do"). Also, I thought it would be a good idea to add a German translation.

Video: Dans je de hele nacht met mij?
Lyrics: Dans je de hele nacht met mij?
Übersetzung:
Tanzt du die ganze Nacht mit mir
Ich tanze am liebsten mit dir, aber was machst du?
Das muß die Party sein, die ich feiern möchte
Allein, mit dir allein

Und deshalb: tanze die ganze Nacht mit mir
Wenn das ein Traum ist, dann träume ich dich dabei
Und bevor der Sonne kommt, hast du schon lange gesagt:
Dieser Traum von dir ist nicht so schlimm
Ja, dieser Traum von dir und mir ist echt

Video: Wat moet ik doen?
Lyrics: Wat moet ik doen?
Übersetzung:
Was soll ich tun?
Was soll ich tun?
Ich denke an ihn den ganzen Tag
Ich träume von ihm die ganze Nacht
Was soll ich tun?
Was soll ich tun?
Er ist für mich der Mann, auf den ich gewartet habe

Ich hatte einen Jungen, ein lieber Junge
Den ich nicht vergessen kann
Wenngleich sagt mein Vater, wenngleich sagt meine Mutter:
Mein bestes Kind, das ist für dich kein Mann

Er schickt mir Briefe, und in diesen Briefen
Da steht: ich kann nicht ohne dich
Dann sagt mein Vater, dann sagt meine Mutter:
Von so etwas hast du später viel Buße
[Oct 21, 2017 11:07:15 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
adriverhoef
Master Cruncher
The Netherlands
Project Badges:

Bonus song: "Mama" by Heintje (in Dutch) also from 1967 (exactly 50 years ago!).
Songtekst (lyrics):
Mamma, je bent de liefste van de hele wereld
Mamma, de allerliefste van de hele wereld
Later, wanneer ik ga trouwen
Zal ik een huisje gaan bouwen
Als je dan soms alleen zult zijn
Kom dan bij mij in mijn huis
Mamma, de liefste van de hele wereld ben jij
O lieve mamma, je bent en blijft altijd een voorbeeld voor mij

Mamma, je leerde me lopen
Op eigen benen te staan
Straks gaat de deur voor mij open
Om door het leven te gaan
Maak je geen zorgen voor morgen
Mamma, toe, droog toch die traan

Übersetzung:
Mama, du bist der süßeste der ganzen Welt
Mama, die allerliebste der ganzen Welt
Später, wenn ich heirate
Werde ich ein Häuschen bauen gehen (*1)
Wenn du dann manchmal allein werde sein
Komm dann bei mir in meinem Haus
Mama, die Liebe der ganzen Welt bist du
Oh, liebe Mama, du bist und bleibst immer ein Beispiel für mich

Mama, du hast mich gelehrt zu laufen
Eigenständig zu stehen
Bald öffnet sich mir die Tür
Um durch das Leben zu gehen
Mach dir keine Sorgen für morgen
Mama, bitte, trockne jene Träne

(*1) Later on, actually one year later (1968), Heintje decided to build a castle for you: Ich bau' dir ein Schloß. biggrin
[Edit 2 times, last edit by adriverhoef at Oct 23, 2017 11:27:38 AM]
[Oct 21, 2017 12:39:24 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Music installment whistling
- my head is throbbing and I have an Elvis link to fix far ^^^^ there

adriverhoef, you will not believe this: I sent my inner German through all our posts and I have four sheets of music now. Word97 tables. One for the ones you linked to for me, one in the opposite direction, one with those I will link to to you, and finally one with my own favorites while I was at it.

And I totally agree. Associations pop up all the time, even with my limited knowledge of music.

One more thing: I passed the marshmallow test with flying colors. flag
I resisted reading your post which I know is up there ^^^ in an unusual display of strength with regards to instant gratification ...
It should be 'rosinen i pølseenden'. Net verstehen, eh? Simple, my dear Adri Watson Verhoef: 'the raisin in the sausage end' - it could also be 'rosinen på bunden af sagosuppen'/'the raisin at the bottom of the sago soup' (which by the way is a quote from an old Danish classic childrens' book describing how two children fleeing to America 'fik en lang næse' (remember?) and had to find comfort in those raisins)

adriverhoef, I instantly associated (which didn't take much imagination) Tony Marshall's Schöne Maid with/to? Johnny Reimar's version
Johnny Reimar has been part of the music scene since 1960 or so. He started out with his own band ”The Clifters”. I have asked a matured Johnny Reimar & The (present) Cliffters to play How Wonderful to Know for you and in the process giving myself a trip down memory lane.

blushing That’s where we put out the light at our teenage parties - too shy to dance cheek-to-cheek publicly.

- OK dustbunnies, you get to live a wee bit longer, because mamma will not take any more marshmallow tests today. Please get out of mamma's way, mamma's gotta KLiK
[Oct 21, 2017 12:43:21 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
adriverhoef
Master Cruncher
The Netherlands
Project Badges:

Little mermaid, it used to be so easy to listen to pronunciations on Wiktionary, you said.
many hours have passed and something has been fixed at NL-Wiktionary, so now I can listen to 'hoef', 'huis', and 'huisvrouw' ...
Would it be a good idea to see how Dutch people talk, just like a young child that tries to shape sounds after its mother? I tried "learn speaking dutch" on YouTube. You will be drowned there in videos! crying Do you have 5 minutes? Here's a short course: How to speak Dutch in 7 words. Just seven words: 'lekker' 'zo', 'zeker', 'leuk', 'mooi', 'echt', 'hoor'.
[Oct 21, 2017 1:31:09 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Dustbunnies installment
- quoting Polish General Sosabowski "A Bridge too Far": "Just making sure whose side you're on" - the dustbunnies' or mine?
What a wonderful idea and very considerate to include German, adriverhoef.
I promise, I shall do my best.
The songtekst (what is the plural? songtekste?) are attractive, easy to understand and relate to and seem like a sensible entry/trainee choice.
When do we do exams?
Trying to sound peppy and optimistic - otherwise I shall never land that job ...
d oh
adriverhoef, this one was a winner:
Olsen Bros: Smuk som et stjerneskud
Songtekst in a Danish you have an entire week devilish till the exams
which, realizing that Danish is a hard sell, was turned into
Fly on the Wings of Love
Closing one of some 51+ outstanding mysteries:
I had to laugh when you said you wanted to change into an ezel. I think a Dutchman would never say that
I can explain: It's because a Dutchman has a much bigger vocabulary than my 'hoef' and 'ezel' sad
I had to choose one rolling eyes
- and I think it rhymed with 'weasel', didn't it? smile

- getting the vacuum out now
shame on you I think the marshmallows must wait en beetje

[Oct 21, 2017 2:12:26 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Little mermaid, it used to be so easy to listen to pronunciations on Wiktionary, you said.
many hours have passed and something has been fixed at NL-Wiktionary, so now I can listen to 'hoef', 'huis', and 'huisvrouw' ...
Would it be a good idea to see how Dutch people talk, just like a young child that tries to shape sounds after its mother? I tried "learn speaking dutch" on YouTube. You will be drowned there in videos! crying Do you have 5 minutes? Here's a short course: How to speak Dutch in 7 words. Just seven words: 'lekker' 'zo', 'zeker', 'leuk', 'mooi', 'echt', 'hoor'.

Sure! This is work, not pleasure, right?
Is she the same instructor of yours who tried to teach me just one Finnish word some years ago?
I still remember that 'perkele' and can roll my tongue as she demands, and I'm sure eventually I'll get a handle on at least two of the Dutch words which in addition to 'hoef' and 'ezel' suddenly doubles my vocabulary. Actually, I think 'lekker' sticks now tongue
Should we ever meet, we could also speak Danish
Here is the very factual 101 smile

EDIT: Forgot a song. This one was also a Euro contest one:
Snakker med mig selv (Talking to Myself)
I have only been able to find the Danish songtekst , but you are already an advanced learner of Danish rose
This is beginning to look like pleasure, so .... bzzzz vacuuming angel

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Oct 21, 2017 2:54:36 PM]
[Oct 21, 2017 2:44:07 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
adriverhoef
Master Cruncher
The Netherlands
Project Badges:

Anyone who wants to speak Dutch, should feel a strong need to pronounce the Dutch vowels correctly. Here's a 12½ minute course on pronouncing Dutch vowels (a, e, i, o, u). Without proper pronunciation Dutch people will have a hard time understanding you!

Now try: Lijkt jou dat een leuk huis? wink

When properly pronouncing Dutch vowels you will finally be able to pronounce "déjà vu" properly. No, "vu" should NOT be pronounced as the French "vous" (English: vooh), French people don't say "day-z-yah-vous", no, the difficulty is that the French U sound doesn't exist in English. Maybe this video will help you. So, the French word "vu" is pronounced like the Dutch word 'vuur' (= fire) without the r, or the Dutch word 'u' (= you) with a v in front. wink The Dutch word 'u' consists of one vowel that's pronounced as an ü in German (über) or the 'ue' in a French word like "rue". Don't make the mistake to pronounce the French word "sur" as the French word "sourd", bien sur!

If you can't pronounce the Dutch vowels properly, there could be a day where you would want to ask "How do I pay the rent?" ('Hoe betaal ik de huur?') and you would likely end up asking "Hoe betaal ik de hoer?" (= How do I pay the hooker?). Or you would want to ask "Howdy neighbour, may I sit on your wall?" ('Hallo buur, mag ik op je muur zitten?') and end up asking "Hallo boer, mag ik op je moer zitten?" (= Hi farmer, may I sit on your unpleasant mother?). Not nice and not advisable.

On the subject of the many online courses that you will find on YouTube, don't use this one: ng-H6Ei9Yb0 - you will need someone who properly speaks Dutch. If in doubt confused , please ask. cool
[Oct 21, 2017 3:06:35 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

You're drowning me installment crying
Let's Call the Whole Thing Off
Louis Armstrong
Things have come to a pretty pass
Our romance is growing flat,
For you like this and the other
While I go for this and that,
Goodness knows what the end will be
Oh I don't know where I'm at
It looks as if we two will never be one
Something must be done:
You say either and I say either,
You say neither and I say neither
Either, either neither, neither
Let's call the whole thing off.
You like potato and I like potahto
You like tomato and I like tomahto
Potato, potahto, tomato, tomahto.
Let's call the whole thing off
But oh, if we call the whole thing off
Then we must part
And oh, if we ever part, then that might break my heart
So if you like pyjamas and I like pyjahmas,
I'll wear pyjamas and give up pyajahmas
For we know we need each other so we
Better call the whole thing off
You say laughter and I say larfter
You say after and I say arfter
Laughter, larfter after arfter
Let's call the whole thing off,
You like vanilla and I like vanella
You saspiralla, and I saspirella
Vanilla vanella chocolate strawberry
Let's call the whole thing off
But oh if we call the whole thing of then we must part
And oh, if we ever part, then that might break my heart
So if you go for oysters and I go for ersters
I'll order oysters and cancel the ersters
Better call the calling off off,
I say father, and you say pater,
I saw mother and you say mater
Pater, mater uncle, auntie let's call the whole thing off.
I like bananas and you like banahnahs
I say havana and I get havahnah
Bananas, banahnahs havana, havahnah
Go your way, I'll go mine
So if I go for scallops and you go for lobsters,
So all right no contest we'll order lobseter
Better call the calling off off,

devilish would hate to do that .... better carry on with that crying difficult, difficult crying
I need to negotiate idea
Could we compromise? batting eyelashes How about Swahili?

[Oct 21, 2017 3:39:51 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

[Oct 21, 2017 3:49:32 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 246   Pages: 25   [ Previous Page | 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread