Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 246
Posts: 246   Pages: 25   [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 85259 times and has 245 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
FC Language United

FC Language United
My intention with this new thread is to create a place where language afficionados/afficionadas can play.
The occasion was adriverhoef’s posts in KLiK’s otherwise interesting thread. They really tickled my funny bone. So much so that I couldn’t resist … exactly like a cat who must catch your knitting yarn.

I have quoted my ”credo” from the
rose Poetry – just poetry
thread which was started together with bjdbest (Beverly) on May 23, 2011:

Being Danish, I should like to share a Danish poem by Piet Hein (December 16, 1905-April 17, 1996)
a scientist, mathematician, inventor, designer, author, and poet.
Among many, many other things, he wrote these little poems called 'Grooks' full of subtle humour and insight.
This one is to the point and very elegant in my opinion and worthy of a flip in your mind.

Taking fun
as simply fun
and earnestness
in earnest
shows how thoroughly
thou none
of the two
discernest

Everyone with a love of English or any language is welcome
coffee coffee coffee coffee
EDIT: Removed the darkblue etc. tagging ... doesn't look good in a header clown

----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Nov 12, 2017 9:00:38 AM]
[Oct 14, 2017 6:23:13 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
SekeRob
Master Cruncher
Re: FC Language United

There's the Crazy English thread, and crazy it is. (Piet Hein happens to be a real 'Dutsch' hero, from Paesi Bassi that is tongue ).
[Oct 14, 2017 6:50:32 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

adriverhoef, I hope you walked this far from KLiK's thread.
We will meet some sort of sculpture

- which I initially took for a remnant of the Atlantic Wall
with a message that just got crazier and crazier. It said:
opgeheven hand tegen land en zee bestand knipoog naar het licht
which I deciphered into something like:
lifted hand against land and sea blinks (in this fashion wink) poorly to the light
which makes no sense to me whatsoever.
Please help me.
What Du you make of that, adrieverhof?
It has been a scrupolo
- SekeRob**** will tell us it's Latin/Italian for a little stone in your shoe which has drilled itself into English (and Danish) as "scruples/skrupler" which in addition to hurting your feet also affects your conscience in these locations. I don't know about Italy. Is it just the feet and no conscience?
in my shoe ever since ....

[Oct 14, 2017 7:24:04 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

There's the Crazy English thread
Where, prego?
(Piet Hein happens to be a real 'Dutsch' hero, from Paesi Bassi that is tongue ).
It all comes together, SekeRob****
Piet Pietersen Hein was a Robber and people loved him, and he was the forefather of Danish Piet Hein - and a Dutchman inspired me to this new thread .....
The old Piet dressed quite interestingly

[Oct 14, 2017 7:56:52 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
adriverhoef
Master Cruncher
The Netherlands
Project Badges:

adriverhoef, I hope you walked this far from KLiK's thread.
We will meet some sort of sculpture

- which I initially took for a remnant of the Atlantic Wall
with a message that just got crazier and crazier. It said:
opgeheven hand tegen land en zee bestand knipoog naar het licht
which I deciphered into something like:
lifted hand against land and sea blinks (in this fashion wink) poorly to the light
which makes no sense to me whatsoever.
Please help me.
What Du you make of that, adrieverhof?
Just stumbling in ...

You were almost there, little mermaid; without commas it's somewhat complicated; nevertheless, as I see it,
"opgeheven hand tegen land en zee bestand knipoog naar het licht" would mean:
lifted hand, resistingwithstanding land and sea, blink to the light

The picture you chose made me think of Bourtange (also in the province of Groningen):
https://westerwolde.groningen.nl/zien-doen-be...-in-westerwolde/bourtange
[Edit 1 times, last edit by adriverhoef at Oct 15, 2017 12:41:56 AM]
[Oct 15, 2017 12:13:46 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
keithhenry
Ace Cruncher
Senile old farts of the world ....uh.....uh..... nevermind
Project Badges:

LM, I assume you must be well acquainted with e e cummings?
Join/Website/IMODB

[Oct 15, 2017 2:43:17 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

What a difference a comma makes!
Thank you for clearing that up for me, adriverhoef
(please forgive me I misspelled your name in my post upstairs^).

Now my regret is:
Why was I not aware of Westerwolde?
The answer is: At least half of the Netherlands is one big attaction and you must make hard, hard choices, right?
sleep - and how could I miss that canopy bed (which is himmelseng (heaven bed) where I come from - probably in the Netherlands, too - which aptly describes how one must feel when inhabiting such one)?

coffee coffee
No, keithhenry, not unless you mean the inventor of the Diesel engine with the charactaristic penetrating sound living in zillions of American pick-up trucks that are turned on at 4 am at every third motel door all over the land ready to take their owners on the road at 5 am raised eyebrow
Is he the e e cummings?
- in which case ....

[Oct 15, 2017 6:43:35 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
adriverhoef
Master Cruncher
The Netherlands
Project Badges:

What a difference a comma makes!
Thank you for clearing that up for me, adriverhoef
(please forgive me I misspelled your name in my post upstairs^).

It's funny that I was having an account at adrive.com not too long ago, 'cause "adrive" are the first six letters of my account name here.
Mnemonic: if you remember Adrive, you're already halfway, regarding the spelling of my name. laughing
In Dutch we call a mnemonic: a donkey bridge.

Say, little mermaid, in Dutch your last name 'mermaid' would translate as "meermin" or "zeemeermin". Which is funny, too, 'cause Dutch and German have the words 'sea' and 'lake' more or less switched:
Dutch | German | English
-zee- | -Meer- | -sea-
-meer- | -See- | -lake-

What's more, the words 'meer' and 'min' (remember '(zee)meermin') are part of the Dutch expression "min of meer" which means "less or more" ("more or less"), which is funny, 'cause 'less' and 'more' are antonyms.

Now my regret is:
Why was I not aware of Westerwolde?
The answer is: At least half of the Netherlands is one big attaction and you must make hard, hard choices, right?

Agreed. From the highest mountain (Vaalserberg, 322 m) in the south to the Frisian Islands (Waddeneilanden) in the North Sea (Noordzee), the Delta Works (Deltawerken), the Sand engine and Hondsbossche seawall (Hondsbossche Zeewering), to the polders (mostly land lying under the level of the sea), the IJsselmeer and the Afsluitdijk, the river Rhine, there is so much land and water here ... water and land, Waterland. smile
[Oct 15, 2017 10:11:52 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

What a loverly
- sorry for the groaning and moaning in the beginning; this is after all London in the smog era -
post, adriverhoef.
It must have taken you hours to create, and will keep me occupied for the rest of the day. And most of Monday as well.

Frankly, it's overwhelming and stimulating of the third degree in a positive way, so Du you mind if I cut it up for my mind to digest with the delight and appreciation I think it deserves?

Ezelsbruggetje
I would have linked to the Danish version (Æselsangen), but as a tribute to SekeRob**** O ciucciariello is in the original language.

Loverly! Is the "tje" the equivalent of the diminutive "-chen" in German?
And ezel! Did you use ezel in The Netherlands (and should I write The Netherlands with a capitol "T"?) to do farm work?
Well, our ezel are close to yours (except for them having never been anything but hobby animals, I believe): æsel - and you'll see we have a letter of our own.
In fact we have three: æ-ø-å/Æ-Ø-Å.
I wish I could come up with a word equally loverly in Danish, but we seem to be all to factual in this regard. Mnemoteknik, hukommelsesstøtte. Nothing poetic as having the donkeys crossing that bridge over the treacherous Strait of Memory Loss.

We du have "huskevers" - Google Translate suggests "vergeet niet vers" which sort of leads to "Forget-me-not"
.... please stop me someone!

Gamle onkel Augustin
han lever ikke mere
Han tog fejl af H2O
og H2SO4

Old uncle Augustin
lives no more
He went wrong of H2O
and H2SO4

... to be continued, or it will develop into a serious case of mania ....

[Oct 15, 2017 11:05:12 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

2nd installment
and I did squeeze in some vacuuming
It's funny that I was having an account at adrive.com not too long ago, 'cause "adrive" are the first six letters of my account name here.
and its funny that I cannot learn your name. I had the same problem with bjdbest – I simply had to ask her name, please. It is Beverly. I have since das praktiziert, but now it’s 'adriverhoef' giving me trouble.
adrive – all right, I can handle that.
adriver – I can handle that, too, because it’s just adrive behind the wheel of his car, right?
BUT how does the ’hoef’ part fit in? If only it was 'hof' - I remember Willy van den Kerkhof, the football player who had a brother playing, too, and I always heard his name as 'Willy from the churchyard' in my head.

I mauled the ’hoef’ part in the Google Wordgrinder and got this:
hoev -> Danish = 'hov' which means hoof in English and is a part of an Ezel - it may also mean 'oops!'
hoev -> English should be 'need' which fits with the suggestion in
hoev -> German 'Bedürfnis'
It doesn't really correlate ....
So, what would it mean if you can reveal that?
If anything.
Because it doesn't have to if only you have a robust and well functioning Ezelsbruggetje …. sad

Don’t you think KliK will appriciate that we moved this developing story so he shall not have it between his spreadsheets?

[Oct 15, 2017 12:14:08 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 246   Pages: 25   [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread