Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 10
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1819 times and has 9 replies Next Thread
hchc
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Migrate the forum software to something more robust?

Hi, just curious what kind of forum software the WCG forums are running. Some of the most basic features of forums like quoting someone (and having the username be in the quote) aren't present, so I was wondering if the software could be migrated to something more modern and robust that supports basic BBcode, quoting, avatars, etc.
----------------------------------------
  • i3-8100 (Coffee Lake, 4C/4T) @ 3.6 GHz
  • i5-4590 (Haswell, 4C/4T) @ 3.3 GHz
  • E5800 (Wolfdale, 2C/2T) @ 3.2 GHz

[Jan 16, 2018 7:20:59 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KerSamson
Master Cruncher
Switzerland
Project Badges:
Re: Migrate the forum software to something more robust?

If I remember correctly the used forum software is MVN. Unfortunately, this tool seems not to be developed/supported any more.
The migration of the forum platform is mentioned from time to time, however it does represent a significant work load for the limited resources of the WCG tech team.
Even if MVN is getting old, it does the job relatively well.
Cheers,
Yves
[Jan 16, 2018 8:18:02 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hchc
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Seems like this forum is lacking in staff, admins, and moderators. I'd really just like the feature that when you quote somebody, it tells you who you're quoting.

Migrating forum isn't that difficult: most of it is automated.

[Jan 25, 2018 5:34:30 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KerSamson
Master Cruncher
Switzerland
Project Badges:

Migrating forum isn't that difficult: most of it is automated.

In theory, on paper, you're right.
In practice, it required planning effort, time, and verification work ... i.e. resources.
Yves
[Jan 25, 2018 11:25:55 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mmonnin
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

My home forum, Overclock.net, just switched from Huddler (supposedly it's EoL) to vB since the owners sold out to a media company that only uses vB. Supposedly they did they conversion on a backup but the conversion on the live db didn't do everything. So many things missing and broken.

I agree, its probably mostly automated but anything custom is going to need the verification part. I'll say this looks better than what piece of junk OCN turned into.

[Jan 25, 2018 2:30:56 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
branjo
Master Cruncher
Slovakia
Project Badges:

IIRC, it is more about security than about resources.

Cheers

Crunching@Home since January 13 2000. Shrubbing@Home since January 5 2006

[Jan 25, 2018 8:09:11 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hchc
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

IIRC, it is more about security than about resources.

Cheers

Precisely. By staying on obsolete forum software, there are undoubtedly numerous security vulnerabilities asking to be exploited and attacked.

Man, what I'd give to be able to just send a PM. There's some outdated FAQ entries, and I have no way of contacting people.

[Feb 4, 2018 11:34:11 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Precisely. By staying on obsolete forum software, there are undoubtedly numerous security vulnerabilities asking to be exploited and attacked.

I have more than once had lots of warning triangles upon making moves on the WCG Forum using Chrome about ill-minded persons lurking in the bushes, and that I was in danger, and I have forwarded the report Google collects now I'm aware of it. The first times I just got too scared and closed everything down.
Man, what I'd give to be able to just send a PM. There's some outdated FAQ entries, and I have no way of contacting people.
Metoo, metoo, metoo, hchc!
I desperately use every impossible channel to contact my co-crunchers when I want to exchange something with them; I even invented this sorry substitute for a PM system which I call 'Attention - Achtung - Attenzione' and which has proved its value by working in at least one instance .... biggrin

At the old UD we had a perfectly working PM system rose
[Feb 4, 2018 12:19:15 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Arquebus
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

Such a great idea. Divert the overloaded techs from bringing on new projects so that the few verbose, prattling posters can consume even more data space with more games, rumors and speculation which do not benefit the other 75,000 users.
[Feb 4, 2018 7:07:55 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

A PM system would cut a bit down on my verbosity, Arquebus.
I agree that the word gaming takes up a lot of room in the 'Recent threads' section, and it sometimes embarrasses me to see 'little mermaid' all over the place, but it's educating for burros like me ... and entertaining.
Why don't you try, Arquebus?
I don't see that the games put any limits on whatever the 75,000 other users would want to post, though.

If we carry on this way, Arquebus, we may end up friends - incompatible, but friends nevertheless - and you will want to make me a very happy mermaid by joining Base Camp's Grand Galla SNURK trek in September tongue
Your ticket is on me.

[Feb 4, 2018 7:34:37 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread