Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 17
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1730 times and has 16 replies Next Thread
Byteball_730a2960
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Windows 7 or 10?

Hiya,
I did a search on here and couldn't find what I wanted unfortunately.

Long story short. I'm going to be recycling some parts I have to make a new rig soon and wanted to know if I should install windows 7 or 10 onto it.

I currently use Win 7 ultimate on my main work desktop. This will be switching to linux which should give me a nice bump in points. I also use Win 10 on my laptop, so have gotten used to that to be honest.

My question is, which one is better for a desktop that also crunches 24/7? i.e. which one is the more efficient?
If I were to go with windows 10, I would get the professional OS. But I am concerned about the autoupdating feature on 10.
I often leave my computer running with downloads and the suchlike. Will 10 just force restart even though those downloads are still in progress?
[Mar 13, 2018 3:11:03 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gb009761
Master Cruncher
Scotland
Project Badges:
Re: Windows 7 or 10?

I can't comment on efficiency, although, having run numerous versions of Windows and been in/around the IT industry for well over 25 years, I'd be very reluctant to move to Win 10 unless forced - due to the auto-updating process they've introduced. Besides all the horror stories of updates 'not quite going to plan', my philosophy is that it's 'my machine', and I'll update it as and when I feel comfortable with the upgrades and at a date/time that's convenient for me.
----------------------------------------

[Mar 13, 2018 4:40:34 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

My question is, which one is better for a desktop that also crunches 24/7? i.e. which one is the more efficient?

Generally speaking Linux will crunch more efficiently, although it depends on the project. You also get better stability/better uptime.

For me, I would go with linux on ALL my computers if there was a Photoshop/Lightroom version that would run on it. Those two programs are the only reason I have Win10 installed.

If you don't have a Windows-only app (or apps) that you simply can't do without, go with linux. I suggest Linux Mint if you need a desktop.

Cheers!

biggrin
[Mar 13, 2018 2:46:41 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KLiK
Master Cruncher
Croatia
Project Badges:

Generally speaking Linux will crunch more efficiently, although it depends on the project. You also get better stability/better uptime.

For me, I would go with linux on ALL my computers if there was a Photoshop/Lightroom version that would run on it. Those two programs are the only reason I have Win10 installed.

If you don't have a Windows-only app (or apps) that you simply can't do without, go with linux. I suggest Linux Mint if you need a desktop.

Cheers!

biggrin

There's always one... cool
oldies:UDgrid.org & PS3 Life@home

non-profit org. Play4Life in Zagreb, Croatia
[Mar 13, 2018 3:21:45 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

At least Two!!! I don't run Windows on any of my systems...
[Mar 13, 2018 7:47:32 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

... and I thought he meant "always one who still runs Windows just for legacy apps". devilish

Have you tried the GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP) ?

Or there's always Wine (originally an acronym for "Wine Is Not an Emulator").
[Mar 13, 2018 8:58:00 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I take that back... I do have one old Windows 7 system setting over in the corner running BoincTasks. Tried BoincTasks under Wine and it was ugly. When you get up around 15,000 tasks it is just too slow and it uses almost 10% of the Linux machine. I would rather those Linux cycles go to crunching instead of BoincTasks. If that machine ever dies I may try BoincTUI or something like that.
[Mar 13, 2018 10:39:48 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Synapp.IO
Cruncher
United States
Project Badges:

Why wold you use WINE to run BOINC on Linux? BOINC has very good support for Linux, in fact running tasks natively under Linux is 5-20% faster than running them under Windows...
[Mar 14, 2018 9:36:33 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KLiK
Master Cruncher
Croatia
Project Badges:

At least Two!!! I don't run Windows on any of my systems...

That's not the issue.

Issue is:
Guy comes here, asking which one of Apples is better? Green or Red?
You offer him Pear.

That's the issue! cool

Hiya,
I did a search on here and couldn't find what I wanted unfortunately.

Long story short. I'm going to be recycling some parts I have to make a new rig soon and wanted to know if I should install windows 7 or 10 onto it.

I currently use Win 7 ultimate on my main work desktop. This will be switching to linux which should give me a nice bump in points. I also use Win 10 on my laptop, so have gotten used to that to be honest.

If I were to go with windows 10, I would get the professional OS. But I am concerned about the autoupdating feature on 10.
I often leave my computer running with downloads and the suchlike. Will 10 just force restart even though those downloads are still in progress?

I'm running mostly Win10, even on some systems which are not supported by Intel & Microsoft...somehow, some processors do work, some don't!

Win7 is quicker..better for stand-alone crunching machine!
Win10 is slower, but offers more connectivity...easier to use, in most cases.
wink
oldies:UDgrid.org & PS3 Life@home

non-profit org. Play4Life in Zagreb, Croatia
[Edit 1 times, last edit by KLiK at Mar 14, 2018 11:44:13 AM]
[Mar 14, 2018 11:42:18 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Great program, I've had it installed for years. But it's no match for Photoshop for a variety of reasons. There's talk of Adjustment Layers being implemented for GIMP 3.2 - that would go a long way towards making GIMP truly competitive with Photoshop.
Guy comes here, asking which one of Apples is better? Green or Red?
You offer him Pear.

Heh, so he did. (had to re-read lol) blushing

OP: I'd go with Win7 if it's a dedicated cruncher.

Cheers!
[Mar 14, 2018 12:46:14 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread