Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3413 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Science United

Does WCG plan to become a part of the Science United group? I don't see it listed in the projects list.
[May 23, 2018 4:02:33 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
knreed
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:
Re: Science United

Because we use username instead of email address for the primary login credential, we are currently not compatible with Science United. We eventually want to change that but it is one of many things on our development backlog.

Additionally, we have to analyze how that will work given requirements for GDPR compliance (this actually applies to all account manager integration).
[May 23, 2018 7:40:02 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Kevin,

It seems SU has changed their approach to the username issue and are now creating anonymous randomized usernames and passwords at each site. Does this fix the problem?

From SU:
We changed things so that when Science United creates an account on a BOINC project, it uses a random (anonymous) name, password, and email address, rather than using the info from your Science United account.

We did this in part to prepare for EU-GDPR (new rules involving data privacy) but it turns out to simplify SU (no need to deal with password mismatches). It also increases security because your email address and hashed SU password are no longer sent to projects.

----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Doneske at May 23, 2018 8:03:22 PM]
[May 23, 2018 8:00:31 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
knreed
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:

There are two parts of it:

1) The technical issue of us using email address as primary login credential. That doesn't change with the change Science United made.

2) I don't think that the changes David made to Science United are sufficient to satisfy GDPR. Since the BOINC client reports information to WCG when it contacts us (including IP address which is deemed personal information under GDPR), then that means that users who contribute to WCG via an account created on Science United would be having us collect personal information without having obtained consent from the end user.

The whole interactions between account managers and projects under GDPR needs to be significantly rethought. WCG's interaction with account managers has always been "broken" (as you users already know) but in the case of GDPR this has avoided some issues for us that might exist for other BOINC projects.
[May 24, 2018 1:52:43 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Dataman
Ace Cruncher
Project Badges:

There are two parts of it:

1) The technical issue of us using email address as primary login credential. That doesn't change with the change Science United made.

2) I don't think that the changes David made to Science United are sufficient to satisfy GDPR. Since the BOINC client reports information to WCG when it contacts us (including IP address which is deemed personal information under GDPR), then that means that users who contribute to WCG via an account created on Science United would be having us collect personal information without having obtained consent from the end user.

The whole interactions between account managers and projects under GDPR needs to be significantly rethought. WCG's interaction with account managers has always been "broken" (as you users already know) but in the case of GDPR this has avoided some issues for us that might exist for other BOINC projects.

Thanks Kevin. Your responses cleared up some confusion on my part.
It appears (at least for now) that many DC projects, especially those outside of Europe, have chosen to ignore GDPR. As the number of active BOINC projects continues to decrease world wide and some projects move in-house without relying on distributed computing, the future of BOINC in general seems questionable.
I have attempted to keep up with the development of Science United but so far I am lacking that "warm fuzzy feeling" that it will be successful much less a solution. But I have been wrong before. biggrin
Thanks for the clarification, mate. coffee
----------------------------------------

[May 24, 2018 5:17:10 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

My understanding is, that SU creates anonymized accounts at the projects a volunteer sends processing time to, 'on the fly ' so to speak. Well, those in the know are well aware that the whole sign-up / profile managing method at WCG is so non-BOINC compliant, try managing your WCG account in BAM as it has been, WCG wont any time soon be enabling this. The 12 year plus excuse will just continue to extend endlessly.
[Jun 2, 2018 9:53:50 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread