Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 115
Posts: 115   Pages: 12   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 67106 times and has 114 replies Next Thread
ChristianVirtual
Advanced Cruncher
Japan
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Unable to Use API

Blockchains overall might have a problem ... how to “forget” out of an unchangable and distributed ledger ...
----------------------------------------
Active with WCG, GPUGrid, F@H
[May 28, 2018 9:02:48 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
jhindo
Former World Community Grid Admin
Project Badges:

Hi,

We understand the frustrations about some of the GDPR compliance changes recently implemented. I'd like to elaborate on a few (of the many) GDPR principles that may help explain the changes to the data export functionality, in particular.

First, personal information is defined fairly broadly and extends to any data which could be identifiable (e.g. a volunteer's team participation or contribution statistics). Another key principle is giving people control over their data, i.e. a user's right to update, share/hide, permanently delete their own data, etc. Also, any downstream processors of the data (i.e. not just whoever collects the data but anyone processesing it) must also comply with the GDPR requirements.

Applying these (and all the other) GDPR principles to World Community Grid, this meant giving volunteers the right to choose whether or not their data is shared publicly (including made available in data exports), or even be deleted permanently. And should they choose to opt out or delete their data, ensuring that such data is completely removed from data exports. This also meant that we could no longer allow open access to the data export features but must restrict access to those who agree to process that data in compliance with GDPR.

We appreciate that the new restrictions on data exports are an inconvenience but this must be considered in the context of the legal requirements GDPR imposes and be balanced against volunteers' right to data privacy. And while our changes were deployed over a few days, the work of our technical and legal teams to interpret the new regulation, understand its implications on World Community Grid and design new processes and features to ensure compliance and data privacy protections has been ongoing for months. Now that the regulation is in effect, we anticipate that its interpretation and therefore our understanding of and compliance with it, will be tweaked over time. We therefore don't consider this to be a one-off exercise but an ongoing process of balancing volunteers' right to privacy and GDPR compliance, with the various data processing demands and scenarios. While we always welcome feedback, I hope you appreciate that we can only address feedback to the extent that it doesn't compromise the program's compliance with laws and regulations.

Finally, I do acknowledge that we should've done more to notify impacted members ahead of these changes - that's certainly been a lesson learned for us and one we'll keep in mind going forward.

Many thanks for your continued support,
Juan
[Edit 1 times, last edit by jhindo at May 29, 2018 6:38:27 PM]
[May 29, 2018 6:36:28 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
DPC_Oi!
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Hi jhindo,

I can understand that the information in the userstats is identifiable by WCG, because you have unique information about the user, like email, ip address with timestamps, etc. But if you (i.e. we) only have a nickname and some stats from a user, then I don't see how that could be considered to be identifiable. Only if people where to use their email address as nickname would it be identifiable, and this could be easily fixed by removing the @ and everything behind it from the public stats (or all together).

Even if users where to use their real name as nickname, there would still be thousands of people with that same name, and it also wouldn't be certain if that this actually is a real name or not. In the end, it is still a nickname.

Another problem may be that a nickname is also used on these forums, but they could be decoupled. That is, an optional different nickname for the forum and the stats. This way users can change or remove their name on the forum and thus effectively uncoupling the forum info from the stats info.

Hopefully something can be arranged, because it is rather difficult to get people to be enthusiastic about the WCG project for the long run without the competition between the teammembers, especially when other DC projects don't seem to have these issues (at least for the time being).
[May 30, 2018 12:01:53 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

It is too bad this issue has turned into a proverbial Gordian Knot. I can understand why I should not be able to download other members stats without their permission, but I can not even download my own anymore. I have had two separate scripts (now broken) with previous changes and now this change. I know Adriverhoef has written a script to get your own stats, but I am not sophisticated enough to implement his solution.
I can use Excel to import one page of 15 results at a time, which worked OK when all I had was 2 to 3 pages of valid results per day, but I now have about 30+ pages a day of valid results. This is no longer practical.
If it never gets fixed, it is not the end of the world, but it would still be nice to have something akin to previous way that still complies with the GDPR principles. I am pretty sure it will eventually get sorted out. Thanks for listening.
Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sgt.Joe at May 30, 2018 1:14:21 AM]
[May 30, 2018 1:13:28 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
adriverhoef
Master Cruncher
The Netherlands
Project Badges:

I can understand why I should not be able to download other members stats without their permission, but I can not even download my own anymore. I have had two separate scripts (now broken) with previous changes and now this change. I know Adriverhoef has written a script to get your own stats, but I am not sophisticated enough to implement his solution.
Well, Sgt.Joe, while I don't know what you did to try to get my script working, this part should be really easy: start editing the downloaded script with your favourite text-editor (gvim, gedit, nano, …), then — between CONFIGURE and END OF CONFIGURATION — find the words USERNAME=, PASSWORD= and supply the correct values for yourself, next find the words MEMBER= and VERIFY= and again supply the needed values for your situation. Then save the file with your changes and make it executable (chmod +x wcgresults). Next move the executable to your $HOME/bin directory. Now you're ready to use the script. Try this:
	wcgresults -mmm
wcgresults -dw
wcgresults -Q
wcgresults -ds0
wcgresults -r
wcgresults -daf /tmp/WCG.log
(Note that you only need to edit the script if you want to download (with the -d option) any statistics from the WCG website. If you only want to investigate your local queue (on this device), then editing the script is unnecessary. cool)
[May 30, 2018 12:13:35 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Adriverhoef:
Thank you for the instructions. I will give them a try when I get some time.
Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[May 30, 2018 2:16:44 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Dataman
Ace Cruncher
Project Badges:

I find it interesting to note that out of ~53 active DC projects only IBM is requiring a contractual agreement between themselves and the stat's services to extract information. sad
Seems IBM's problem is too many lawyers! wink

coffee

[May 30, 2018 2:37:17 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Simplex0
Advanced Cruncher
Sweden
Project Badges:

I truly hope that this eventually will be sorted out in the future but after 6 days and still the same problem I will chose other projects to run under BOINC that does not have this problem.

Good luck.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Simplex0 at May 31, 2018 4:26:57 AM]
[May 30, 2018 3:02:41 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KLiK
Master Cruncher
Croatia
Project Badges:

Hi,

We understand the frustrations about some of the GDPR compliance changes recently implemented. I'd like to elaborate on a few (of the many) GDPR principles that may help explain the changes to the data export functionality, in particular.

First, personal information is defined fairly broadly and extends to any data which could be identifiable (e.g. a volunteer's team participation or contribution statistics). Another key principle is giving people control over their data, i.e. a user's right to update, share/hide, permanently delete their own data, etc. Also, any downstream processors of the data (i.e. not just whoever collects the data but anyone processesing it) must also comply with the GDPR requirements.

Applying these (and all the other) GDPR principles to World Community Grid, this meant giving volunteers the right to choose whether or not their data is shared publicly (including made available in data exports), or even be deleted permanently. And should they choose to opt out or delete their data, ensuring that such data is completely removed from data exports. This also meant that we could no longer allow open access to the data export features but must restrict access to those who agree to process that data in compliance with GDPR.

We appreciate that the new restrictions on data exports are an inconvenience but this must be considered in the context of the legal requirements GDPR imposes and be balanced against volunteers' right to data privacy. And while our changes were deployed over a few days, the work of our technical and legal teams to interpret the new regulation, understand its implications on World Community Grid and design new processes and features to ensure compliance and data privacy protections has been ongoing for months. Now that the regulation is in effect, we anticipate that its interpretation and therefore our understanding of and compliance with it, will be tweaked over time. We therefore don't consider this to be a one-off exercise but an ongoing process of balancing volunteers' right to privacy and GDPR compliance, with the various data processing demands and scenarios. While we always welcome feedback, I hope you appreciate that we can only address feedback to the extent that it doesn't compromise the program's compliance with laws and regulations.

Finally, I do acknowledge that we should've done more to notify impacted members ahead of these changes - that's certainly been a lesson learned for us and one we'll keep in mind going forward.

Many thanks for your continued support,
Juan

Hi Juan,
thanks for implementing GDPR, it means a safety to all of us.

But please, you could have done "Anonymous user profile" for all data on which user doesn't want it to be shared. & everything would work!

Now, we have that:
1. SNURK signature doesn't work
2. Gridcoin does not work - which is one of top15 teams in WCG
3. Byteball.org does not work - which is soon to be one of top50 teams on WCG
4. "% in research" does not work in my graphs - as I've pulled data from SNURK's wcgsig data about projects...as no data can't be pulled from Research web page on WCG, unfortunately.

So in general, you just blocked everything. OK, I'm going to stay at WCG, but many people are suggesting for leaving WCG as they don't get credit for it on Gridcoin or Byteball.org (example: https://www.reddit.com/r/gridcoin/comments/8m...warding_grc_at_this_time/ ). Are you going to just abandon top15 & top50 teams so easily?

What are you going to do, to make access to data available?
Gridcoin team returned yesterday 25 TFLOPs of data (Gridcoin is number 2 team , right after IBM), while Byteball.org returned almost 1 TFLOPs.
(to calc the is given here: http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Computation_credit , but also keep in mind that WCG point = RAC * 7 )

What are you going to do - to protect the 26+ TFLOPs?

Thank you, for the answer.
oldies:UDgrid.org & PS3 Life@home

non-profit org. Play4Life in Zagreb, Croatia
[Edit 2 times, last edit by KLiK at May 30, 2018 3:30:14 PM]
[May 30, 2018 3:28:13 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
jhindo
Former World Community Grid Admin
Project Badges:

I can understand that the information in the userstats is identifiable by WCG, because you have unique information about the user, like email, ip address with timestamps, etc. But if you (i.e. we) only have a nickname and some stats from a user, then I don't see how that could be considered to be identifiable.

and

you could have done "Anonymous user profile" for all data on which user doesn't want it to be shared. & everything would work!

As mentioned previously, what is considered identifiable data is broad and would include member name, contribution statistics, etc. e.g. it would not have been considered GDPR compliant to attribute individual contribution statistics to an anonymous member and share that data publicly. Please remember that none of these decisions were taken lightly, but followed months of working with our legal team to interpret the regulation and understand how it applies to World Community Grid.
[May 30, 2018 5:10:08 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 115   Pages: 12   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread