Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 99
Posts: 99   Pages: 10   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 61568 times and has 98 replies Next Thread
Falconet
Master Cruncher
Portugal
Project Badges:
Re: Viktors updates

Thanks for the updates (all of them).
----------------------------------------

AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF 4C/8T 3.2 GHz - 85W
AMD Ryzen 5 2500U 4C/8T 2.0 GHz - 28W
Intel Z3740 4C/4T 1.8 GHz - 6W
[Nov 13, 2019 9:54:54 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hchc
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Woohoo, thanks for the update!
  • i3-8100 (Coffee Lake, 4C/4T) @ 3.6 GHz
  • i5-4590 (Haswell, 4C/4T) @ 3.3 GHz
  • E5800 (Wolfdale, 2C/2T) @ 3.2 GHz

[Nov 14, 2019 1:06:44 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Yeah, thx to you!
[Nov 14, 2019 11:36:59 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ThreadRipper
Veteran Cruncher
Sweden
Project Badges:

Great news, thanks!

Join The International Team: https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=CK9RP1BKX1

AMD TR2990WX @ PBO, 64GB Quad 3200MHz 14-17-17-17-1T, RX6900XT @ Stock
AMD 3800X @ PBO
AMD 2700X @ 4GHz
[Nov 14, 2019 1:16:35 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
supdood
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Thanks for the detailed update. Glad to hear that getting more Android work is on the team's agenda for after the launch of the other two climate projects.
Crunch with BOINC team USA
www.boincusa.com

[Nov 14, 2019 1:41:46 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[CSF] Thomas H.V. DUPONT
Master Cruncher
RĂ©union-France
Project Badges:

Thanks for the heads-up Caitlin!
[Nov 15, 2019 6:40:48 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
julien2412
Cruncher
Project Badges:

What would be the benefit about porting to Android since this OS is on some phones and tablets but not on pcs (or didn't know that)? Ok there are a lot of these (more than computers) but the CPUs of these are less powerful and for phone case above all, users want to save battery.

Also, what's the benefit (except aesthetic) to change screensaver? Unless a better aesthetic would attract more people to crunch? If we want full ressource to crunch, plain black screen is the best option.

What would be interesting would be to optimize code, to port in for more GPUs.
I had proposed on another thread to make code available on github/gitlab or any repo so people may contribute, I had no feedback.
[Nov 15, 2019 10:45:01 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hchc
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

juline2412 said:
What would be the benefit about porting to Android since this OS is on some phones and tablets but not on pcs (or didn't know that)? Ok there are a lot of these (more than computers) but the CPUs of these are less powerful and for phone case above all, users want to save battery.

A lot of people ask apparently. Personally I'd love to see more WCG science applications ported to Linux for ARM so I can run a whole fleet of really cheap Raspberry Pis. I have some Android phones, but I'm concerned about the heat dissipation as well as heat causing the battery to bulge or leak or explode. That and many/most Android devices stopped getting updates years ago so wouldn't be secure keeping in production and connected to the Internet.
Also, what's the benefit (except aesthetic) to change screensaver? Unless a better aesthetic would attract more people to crunch? If we want full ressource to crunch, plain black screen is the best option.

I wasn't thinking the looks so much as maybe a different way to represent what the science application is really doing at the moment instead of the current look of a bunch of chromosomes.
What would be interesting would be to optimize code, to port in for more GPUs.
I had proposed on another thread to make code available on github/gitlab or any repo so people may contribute, I had no feedback.

I wish a lot of the science apps like Autodock family, Gromacs, Rosetta, etc. would be open sourced and supported by grant money. GPU support, code optimization, support for newer instruction sets like AVX/AVX2/AVX512 as appropriate, etc.
  • i3-8100 (Coffee Lake, 4C/4T) @ 3.6 GHz
  • i5-4590 (Haswell, 4C/4T) @ 3.3 GHz
  • E5800 (Wolfdale, 2C/2T) @ 3.2 GHz

[Edit 1 times, last edit by hchc at Nov 15, 2019 11:18:14 AM]
[Nov 15, 2019 11:16:11 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

And still the compiling will be done for science apps at the lowest common denominator to ensure that an XP type CPU produces the exact bit for bit same result as a W10 on Cannon Lake.
[Nov 15, 2019 12:05:52 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
julien2412
Cruncher
Project Badges:

@hchc:
about Raspberry PI, I think we should calculate CPU power per Watt/h per $, perhaps it could be interesting.

I understand the "show me what's you're calculating", I recognize it's quite beautiful and interesting to see this kind of animation but on computers which don't have a dedicated graphic card, the animation is processed by CPUs (so less ressource for the crunch).

About Autodock, there was a derivate from it called "Vina" (see http://vina.scripps.edu/), I had sent some very simple patches but it seems not maintained anymore. I see some others "children" in github like "qvina" but don't know more.

@lavaflow : indeed considering https://boinc.berkeley.edu/trac/wiki/CompileApp
[Nov 15, 2019 2:51:57 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 99   Pages: 10   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread