Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 178
Posts: 178   Pages: 18   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 95208 times and has 177 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Data exports & status of Data Processing Agreement

Capt. Joe, this is where I fought back at breast cancer and still think I do
- along with all you wonderful people of whom many have become dear friends

Along with you, Capt. Joe, I'll be the last remaining ....
[Jun 18, 2018 7:04:52 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
deltavee
Ace Cruncher
Texas Hill Country
Project Badges:

I do not think WCG is dead. I love the statistics, but they are not the reason I crunch. I crunch to promote the research which will make the world a better place and to help in the search for disease cures.

Sgt.Joe, I agree with you completely.
----------------------------------------

[Jun 18, 2018 7:21:51 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KLiK
Master Cruncher
Croatia
Project Badges:

oldies:UDgrid.org & PS3 Life@home

non-profit org. Play4Life in Zagreb, Croatia
[Jun 19, 2018 1:23:32 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
markfw
Cruncher
Project Badges:

When will you implement all users to be in statistics?
As from GDPR, some users have opted to be out of stats & they have "vanished"...& that does not show a "real picture"...
So when will you show hidden users in data, without revealing their identity (marking them as "hidden user")?

All volunteer statistics are included at the aggregate level. Where stats are shown at the member level, then only members who have chosen to share their data publicly will be listed. We recognize that the website needs to make it clear that any such lists do not include 'hidden' members and we're working to address that.

OK, I am on a team. We crunch against other teams in races. We need stats on all the members in the teams, and the teams, and they need to be able to be viewed on places like stats.free-dc.org. If this is not fixed, our team, and possibly all the other teams will crunch for projects that ALSO do medical research, but have STATS.
Formula BOINC has sprints, marathons, etc. EVERY one on all of those team will NOT participate anymore with no stats !

I am now taking my 300 CPU's and going to Rosetta, which has stats. I also am number 35 in the WORLD for Folding@home.
(see here) https://stats.foldingathome.org/donor/349794
I am a dedicated cruncher, especially since I have cancer, but this situation is intolerable.

I leave with the following stats for 2 years of work:
Points 283,062,242 (#557)

Goodbye
[Edit 6 times, last edit by markfw900 at Jun 20, 2018 11:12:48 PM]
[Jun 20, 2018 10:31:51 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

We need stats on all the members in the teams

So agreeing to share data is a requirement to join your teams? Good luck enforcing that! And good luck at telling those who do not want to share their data to leave. WCG isn't going to kick them off for you!

[Edited to add:]
And I just thought that you were someone who simply doesn't care about their own privacy, but now I realise that you clearly do -- you've chosen not to share your country with us!

I'm sorry, but I just don't follow this logic. Why are you so keen to go to these other organisations? Have they already completed their updates to implement GDPR? If so, why not share their decisions with us so we can suggest better approaches to WCG? Or have they just buried their heads in the sand and ignored it? If it's the latter, why are you so keen to trust them with your personal data? I wouldn't!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Jun 21, 2018 12:08:21 AM]
[Jun 20, 2018 11:54:08 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
crashtech
Cruncher
Project Badges:

We need stats on all the members in the teams

So agreeing to share data is a requirement to join your teams? Good luck enforcing that! And good luck at telling those who do not want to share their data to leave. WCG isn't going to kick them off for you!

[Edited to add:]
And I just thought that you were someone who simply doesn't care about their own privacy, but now I realise that you clearly do -- you've chosen not to share your country with us!

I'm sorry, but I just don't follow this logic. Why are you so keen to go to these other organisations? Have they already completed their updates to implement GDPR? If so, why not share their decisions with us so we can suggest better approaches to WCG? Or have they just buried their heads in the sand and ignored it? If it's the latter, why are you so keen to trust them with your personal data? I wouldn't!

I'm not sure you understand Mark's position. Anyone can join our team, there is no requirement that anyone "share their data." The point is that nearly all of us are highly competitive, with ourselves, our teammates, and other teams. For us, it's not just science, it's a fun hobby that some take pretty seriously. Most of the time, our loyalty is to the science first, team second, and individual project last. WCG is under no obligation to fix the problem, but in the meantime, I am guessing there will be a measurable reduction in computing power for its otherwise worthy projects.
[Jun 21, 2018 1:05:47 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I am here to use my computers and processing time to assist the basic research projects. I am not interested in games and competitions. That is why I chose WCG over all the other BOINC projects.
[Jun 21, 2018 1:20:49 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
markfw
Cruncher
Project Badges:

I have no idea what you are going on about. Its simple. Formula BOINC has a race. They use stats.Free-dc.org to compile stats for the day/week etc for a team. Until 30 days ago, everything worked fine. Now there is nothing but 0'c for all team members AND the team.

So no stats, no race, no contribution to science. I think everyone has shared their country, I don't know about the personal part. I have shared. Thats not the point. ZEROS ACROSS THE BOARD, EVERY USER, EVERY TEAM. So it not one person, its the system.

Edit: As far as races are concerned. Using 1 or 2 computers for science is great. When its a hobby with 12-18 computers, and $500 a month in electric bills, thats a little different. When the institution running the program cares about its contributors, thats one thing, when they could care less, thats another.

And as I said I do this for cancer research, SINCE I HAVE CANCER. The least they could do is recognize my contribution, is that so bad ?

So below is what I was using to contribute:
4 1950x threadrippers, 32 threads x 4 = 128
4 E5-2683v3 Xeons, 28 threads x 4 = 112 threads.
3 Ryzen, a 1800x and 2 2700x = 16*3 or 48 threads.
1 6700k, a 860 amd, a X5570 Xeon, a 4790k for 28 threads
For a total of 316 threads, and not weany ones either.

Edit: and these are all in my house. I bought them, and I pay the electric for them. I am retired, I pay for everything, including the hardware upgrades.
[Edit 4 times, last edit by markfw900 at Jun 21, 2018 2:10:07 AM]
[Jun 21, 2018 1:24:00 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jim1348
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I am merely an observer to this discussion, as I don't even know what my own stats are, much less anyone else's, and couldn't care less. But it is interesting why WCG is taking such a hard line on how they export the data (though I am not clear what the line really is). But it is undoubtedly related to the fact that IBM is a large international corporation, with a lot of potential legal exposure. They have to be very cautious. I doubt that Rosetta, etc. are in that position, or at least they don't have all the talented lawyers to tell them that they are in it. Some of them may find out the hard way later that they had more exposure than they thought.

A lot will depend on how the EU interprets the rules in the coming years. But the antitrust cases they bring us a different standard than is used in the U.S., for example, and since there is no equivalent to the GDPR in the U.S., who knows how it will be interpreted? IBM does not want to pick up a large liability for providing a free service, I am sure of that. If some people leave, that will be at the bottom of their corporate worry list.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Jim1348 at Jun 21, 2018 1:49:01 AM]
[Jun 21, 2018 1:43:02 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

WCG is dead

Not to me
nuclearpowerplantmochovce!
Restrictions on Freedom of Speech
due to what?
Political Correcteness?
For what?

may change my attitude ...
And if everybody had let the EU choke in their own bureaucracy instead of dancing to a mad piper ....
And I think I want out of NATO, too ....

[Jun 21, 2018 1:43:13 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 178   Pages: 18   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread