Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 178
Posts: 178   Pages: 18   [ Previous Page | 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 63259 times and has 177 replies Next Thread
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Data exports & status of Data Processing Agreement

We continue to be in daily contact with the lawyers. We're equally frustrated with how long this has taken but we don't want to settle without pushing as aggressively as possible for a process that's as volunteer-friendly as possible. i.e. We're focusing on the long term outcome, even if it means extending the short-term inconvenience longer than we hoped. Please bear with us, we're getting there!

Sincere thanks,
Juan

Take the time you need to get it right the first time. I am not going to dump on the WCG staff and techs for something beyond their control. I am "bearing" and continuing to crunch. ( I do like the thought about it taking 9 months to ship an empty box.)
Cheers
----------------------------------------
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Jul 12, 2018 9:16:55 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

( I do like the thought about it taking 9 months to ship an empty box.)
shock What if there had been something in that box?
Sorry blushing

[Jul 12, 2018 10:21:57 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Dataman
Ace Cruncher
Project Badges:

( I do like the thought about it taking 9 months to ship an empty box.)
shock What if there had been something in that box?
Sorry blushing

IBM's 4 years total development cycle.

The empty box is actually a true story.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Personal_Computer

I remember it well. I will leave it up to the reader to image the jokes that spread through the industry about "IBM's empty box". blushing

To IBM's credit however it was this study that lead them to dramatically reduce their end-to-end development cycle (which at the time was 4 years).

Cheers. coffee

[Jul 12, 2018 11:21:56 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sunk818
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

Take the time you need to get it right the first time.

We're all negatively affected... you can make incremental improvements which will be a lot better than what we have now.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by sunk818 at Jul 16, 2018 2:36:05 PM]
[Jul 13, 2018 12:00:00 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

My Androids contributed 2.3 million points in three months. Sure would be nice to be rewarded in bragging roghts, ranking, and even a little byteball.
[Jul 13, 2018 4:26:02 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ChristianVirtual
Advanced Cruncher
Japan
Project Badges:

that method as described sounds quite reasonable ...

https://boinc.berkeley.edu/trac/wiki/RightToErasure#DataExports
Active with WCG, GPUGrid, F@H
[Jul 13, 2018 12:50:07 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

My Androids contributed 2.3 million points in three months. Sure would be nice to be rewarded in bragging roghts, ranking, and even a little byteball.
I cannot help you with the virtual money,
but I see no reason for not bragging your lungs out here about your points cool

[Jul 13, 2018 1:10:37 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
jhindo
Former World Community Grid Admin
Project Badges:

I am pleased to report that access to the data export files has been re-activated and is available again. Volunteers who wish to access the data will not need to sign a Data Processing Agreement or obtain tokens.

The review concluded that if volunteers are given explicit notice of and sufficient control over how their data is used, there was no legal justification for imposing any further restrictions on the data export files. The review also concluded that we will likely need to reinforce and strengthen the consent language in a few places on our website, but that doesn't stop us from opening up access to the data exports in the meantime.

This process took significantly longer than any of us hoped or anticipated, and we understand people's frustrations while we had to disable access pending the legal review. But we felt it was important to push back aggressively on what was initially a process more appropriate to a commercial engagement than a philanthropic initiative and to persevere until we had an outcome that was both GDPR-compliant as well as volunteer-friendly.

Finally, a reminder that while access to the data exports is now unrestricted, the export files only include data of volunteers who have opted to make their information public.

Thanks as always for all your support,
Juan
[Jul 13, 2018 7:06:23 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KerSamson
Master Cruncher
Switzerland
Project Badges:

Hi Juan,
I've just received the WCG e-mail (I sent a positive answer) and I check it: it's running again!
Thank you !
Yves
[Jul 13, 2018 7:23:44 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Bok7575
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

looks like the exports were switched off also. Not updated since May 23rd? So i assume we will get new data tonight?
[Jul 13, 2018 8:20:36 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 178   Pages: 18   [ Previous Page | 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread