Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 18
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 22570 times and has 17 replies Next Thread
knreed
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
New Feature - Limited MIP1 Work

We have released a new setting on the website that allows you to limit the number of MIP1 tasks assigned to your computer at a time. This was enabled to support users who had noticed MIP1 tasks slowing down when multiple tasks are running on the same time on their computer.

The setting can be configured by going to https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/device/viewProfiles.do and then selecting the profile that you want to configure.

You need to select "Custom Profile" and then scroll to the bottom of the page where it says "Number of workunits per host for the Microbiome Immunity Project?"
[Oct 18, 2018 8:26:29 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: New Feature - Limited MIP1 Work

Thanks, did have that issue on Windows 10, 64 bit. The 32 bit only app is maybe a problem, a 64 bit build would be great (if that does not cause for in-homogeneous results)

Would it not be great if every science had this feature? The app_config.xml may be able to control the number running concurrently for each projects, does not stop them from coming, then eventually filling the buffer to the point of being full with one or the other and cores starting to idle.
[Oct 19, 2018 9:21:48 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
BladeD
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Nice, won't be able to use it until my PCs are back online. wink
----------------------------------------
[Oct 19, 2018 9:24:28 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Dayle Diamond
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

Awesome!! Thank you!
[Oct 20, 2018 8:11:02 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Aurum
Master Cruncher
The Great Basin
Project Badges:

It really should be MIPs per L3 cache. As the MIP project leader explained each MIP WU needs about 4 MB. My CPUs have L3 caches that range from 15 to 55 MB.
It would really be nice if we could specify it in our cc_config file for each computer, I guess that would make it a BOINC thing.

...KRI please cancel all shadow-banning
[Oct 21, 2018 3:40:58 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

It really should be MIPs per L3 cache. As the MIP project leader explained each MIP WU needs about 4 MB. My CPUs have L3 caches that range from 15 to 55 MB.
It would really be nice if we could specify it in our cc_config file for each computer, I guess that would make it a BOINC thing.

Maybe using a combination of cc_config and the new feature in the device profile is best to accomplish this.
Limit the number of MIPs crunched at once to the desired number on every machine by using app_config. Then limit the number of units a pc can have in the device profile. This can be higher than the number in app_config, should only be lower than unlimited, so the workunit queue does not run full of MIPs and leave most cpu threads unused thereafter, which is a common problem when limiting MIP units by app_config.
[Oct 21, 2018 6:48:58 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Aurum
Master Cruncher
The Great Basin
Project Badges:

I'll set it to one.
This does not appear in BOINC options???
Workunit Cache Settings
Connect to network about every 0.04 days

[Oct 21, 2018 7:03:41 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Aurum
Master Cruncher
The Great Basin
Project Badges:

Set MIP to one and it appears to mean that it will DL one WU per day. I expected it to send one WU and then another after that one finished and had been submitted.

[Oct 22, 2018 4:07:10 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
knreed
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:

The way it works is that when your client makes a request to a server, it checks to see how many mip1 workunits you have in progress. If you set your limit to 1 and you have 1 or more already in progress for that device, then it will exclude mip1 from consideration for that device during that scheduler request.

If you do not have any in progress (or if you have fewer in progress than your limit) then mip1 will be considered for sending your computer just like any other app that you have selected. Thus it doesn't guarantee that you will have that many running, but is simply an upper limit on how many you could have running.
[Oct 22, 2018 4:19:30 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jim1348
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Limit the number of MIPs crunched at once to the desired number on every machine by using app_config. Then limit the number of units a pc can have in the device profile. This can be higher than the number in app_config, should only be lower than unlimited, so the workunit queue does not run full of MIPs and leave most cpu threads unused thereafter, which is a common problem when limiting MIP units by app_config.

Here is the app_config.xml that I use:
<app_config>
<app>
<name>mip1</name>
<max_concurrent>2</max_concurrent>
</app>
</app_config>

Place it in the project folder; i.e.,
Window 64-bit: C:\ProgramData\BOINC\projects\www.worldcommunitygrid.org
Ubuntu: /var/lib/boinc-client/projects/www.worldcommunitygrid.org

=> Then, read in the app_config, or re-start BOINC to activate it.

I limit them to two at a time on my 8-core machines (i7-4770, etc.) and three at a time on my 16-core Ryzen. That helps to keep the run times low, and also prevents errors on the Ryzen.
[Oct 23, 2018 2:12:28 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread