Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 8
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1477 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Please help me to set up a good system on a headless Raspbian Stretch Lite

Hello,
I´m currently building a solar powered Raspberry Pi system to participate in the World Community Grid. I have successfully installed BOINC and also the project is already attached via boinccmd.

My current problems/questions are:
Does it make sense to control the system without any graphic interface?
I struggled a lot sad and I think now it could be the best to connect the system via SSH to another system to use graphic interfaces... But is it possible to run the BOINC manager from the raspbian system on another system so that I can use the graphic interface?

For now it would also be cool if you could help me to actually start computing. I have made an account for the World Community Grid but how can I add the Raspberry Pi to my account? confused

And what exactly do I need to do so that the raspberry starts computing for the project? The boinccmd tool really confuses me because I haven´t found a proper step by step instruction to set it up right.

I would like to hear from your experiences and maybe you can recommend me how to make the best setup. love struck

Best Greetings
Henrik
[Mar 11, 2019 6:53:50 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
psmacmur
Cruncher
Project Badges:
Re: Please help me to set up a good system on a headless Raspbian Stretch Lite

I don't think Linux on ARM is supported by WCG; if it was, I'd totally get a Pi!
[Mar 11, 2019 8:25:27 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

psmacmur is right, World Community Grid does not support Linux on ARM cpus. The only option you have for a Raspberry Pi is to install Android. This way you can run Zika (and Stop Childhood Cancer should it continue later).

Your other question about running without a graphics interface:
I guess you set everything up right. After installing BOINC you only need to attach WCG with the following command:

boinccmd --project_attach www.worldcommunitygrid.org [account key]

After that BOINC should start downloading work - only that in your case it does not, because no work for Linux on ARM is available.

Connecting via SSH is a good option. You cannot use the Boinc Manager over SSH and while you can do everything with boinccmd, it is not very user friendly. Instead I would recommend Boinctui, which does almost as good a job as the BOINC Manager but via command line. Here is an article I wrote about using Boinctui.

But also for that: no option for a Raspberry Pi: there is no worrk for ARM/Linux and on Android SSH and Boinctui will not work.
[Mar 11, 2019 8:44:32 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

As an alternative Boinc Manager can run by forwarding X over SSH or using a VNC server for a complete remote desktop. Too bad WCG doesn't support Linux on arm.
[Mar 12, 2019 12:44:25 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mmonnin
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

Use the BOINCTasks program to control the remote BOINC client. I hardly ever use BOINC Manager.
----------------------------------------

[Mar 12, 2019 5:43:14 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hello,
at first I want to thank you for your answers. It is quite frustrating to hear that WCG does not support the Raspberry Pi system.
Do you know about future plans from WCG of adding the Pi- system?
I think there are a lot of people who would be interested in it. I mean adding the Raspberry Pis from the new generations would provide a lot more calculating power then supporting android smartphones...

I am not sure about the Idea of using Android as this is not officially supported from Raspberry Pi. But i might try it anyway. Could you recommend me an instruction/ good Android image?

I have found another Idea but I am pretty sure this does not work with the WCG. They participated in the seti@home project and compiled the data by themselves.

The German description:
https://blog.helmutkarger.de/raspberry-pi-fue...nd-setihome-installation/
English description:
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.p...mp;postid=1758320#1758320

Thanks for all the help, i am kind of desperate as the time is running and there is no easy solution in sight. confused
Henrik
[Mar 17, 2019 2:18:56 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Rickjb
Veteran Cruncher
Australia
Project Badges:

It may actually be possible to run WCG Android projects on your pi.
In an Android device, Android sits on top of the underlying embedded Linux O/S, so it's actually a program running under Linux. The way that WCG Android programs are made, Android has to be there to run them.
I did a couple of quick searches with DDG:
"how does android dalvic execute instructions"
--> https://github.com/dogriffiths/HeadFirstAndro...id-Apps-are-Built-and-Run
"android on raspberry pi"
--> https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/android-raspberry-pi/
Then there's the PiPhone , mentioned above.
Maybe you could get that to run headlessly if you don't want to add the extra phone hardware.
[Edit]
Here's where you'll probably find the info you want, in the WCG Android Support forum: Android on Raspberry Pi - MagPi #71
[/Edit]
+1 vote for BoincTasks - ( Setting up BoincTasks )

The www is your oyster ...
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Rickjb at Apr 6, 2019 4:33:35 AM]
[Apr 6, 2019 4:14:36 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ncaraway
Cruncher
Project Badges:

I´m currently building a solar powered Raspberry Pi system to participate in the World Community Grid. I have successfully installed BOINC and also the project is already attached via boinccmd.

I have been tossing around this idea myself but have not gotten beyond the research phase. Could you please share how you are doing your solar set-up?

Many thanks!
[Apr 6, 2019 7:03:25 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread