Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 164
Posts: 164   Pages: 17   [ Previous Page | 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 94631 times and has 163 replies Next Thread
gb009761
Master Cruncher
Scotland
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Change to the Project Progress Bars

Although my visits to the forums have become less frequent recently (due to other commitments/time pressures), i've just read all the above/visited the newly updated 'Projects' page - and I'm in total agreement of what has already been said. The Community (i.e. the middle letter of WCG) needs to be involved - otherwise there is no community. Thus, this idea needs to be revisited AND FAST!!! Yes, resources should (quite rightly) be focused on launching new projects - but, if decisions such as this, are made and results in NO COMMUNITY, then what's the point of launching new projects if there's no one left TO CRUNCH THEM!!!

I'm by no stretch of the word 'a big cruncher', but I can certainly see the end of my contribution if I've nothing to aim for.

Please just remember, in the 'real world', companies have gone out of business by making (seemingly insignificant) changes, and not realising the impact it has until it's too late. Please, please, please, don't fall into this trap - for the sake of the fantastic scientific research that THE COMMUNITY is providing.
----------------------------------------

[May 20, 2019 10:07:32 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

gb009761

How to say it as well ?

blushing
[May 21, 2019 4:57:25 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KLiK
Master Cruncher
Croatia
Project Badges:

AFAIK API holds this information, e.g.
https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/api/project?shortName=mip1
releaseDate "2017-08-22T00:00:00"

That's not the issue, the issue is that API (listed in whole here), has ending with NULL (bolded & underlined):
{"project":{"completionDate":null,"id":123,"name":"Microbiome Immunity Project","overviewUrl":"\/about_us\/viewNewsArticle.do?articleId=533","releaseDate":"2017-08-22T00:00:00","shortName":"mip1","statisticsUrl":"\/stat\/viewProject.do?projectShortName=mip1","status":"proj_stats.active"}}

cool
oldies:UDgrid.org & PS3 Life@home

non-profit org. Play4Life in Zagreb, Croatia
[May 21, 2019 6:36:01 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
NixChix
Veteran Cruncher
United States
Project Badges:

This is like the gut-punch we got when grid.org suddenly closed up and all us crunchers found was locked doors and a sign that read "suckers". I'm sure I heard giggling on the other side of the chained doors. Is this going to turn out like that sad tale?

Cheers sad

[May 21, 2019 6:59:28 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
katoda
Senior Cruncher
Poland
Project Badges:

AFAIK API holds this information, e.g.
https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/api/project?shortName=mip1
releaseDate "2017-08-22T00:00:00"

That's not the issue, the issue is that API (listed in whole here), has ending with NULL (bolded & underlined):
{"project":{"completionDate":null]

KLiK, I was responding to the question where the launch date of a specific project could be found, not the ECD. I already mentioned earlier in this thread that at least ECD should be kept in API, if WCG says that the previous version of "Research" page caused problems. So we have 100% agreement on this issue :)

[May 21, 2019 7:50:33 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

gb009761How to say it as well ? blushing
+ 1 stefada smile
May I compliment you as well, gb009761, on you well balanced post stressing community
rose
[May 21, 2019 5:40:34 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
widdershins
Veteran Cruncher
Scotland
Project Badges:

There is however slim chance that we will see the "improved" research page returned to the previous version. Given the limited development resources, having to admit they blew one or two years allocation of site development resource allocation on a turkey is not something that is going to happen.

Big Cheese: "So how did the website upgrade go?"
Minion1: "Errm... Very well actually, sir! We rolled the change out with no issues. It worked perfectly from the start!
Big Cheese: "Good, good. How was it received?"
Minion 2: "Err...Actually, surprisingly well sir! Of the tens of thousand's of volunteers less than two dozen had anything negative to say about it."
Big Cheese: "Good, good. There will always be a few stick-in-the-muds who resent change. I'm glad to see my idea to improve the page was a success!"

*Any similarity of the above sketch to IBM staff living or dead is purely co-incidental
[May 21, 2019 8:03:48 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
PowerFactor
Ace Cruncher
Project Badges:

Concerning the new task bar --> It would be nice if the "Nearly Completed" stage was 6 months from completion rather than a few weeks from completion.

The "Nearly Completed" stage of the taskbar is not useful if it indicates completion within two weeks.
[May 22, 2019 3:01:05 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Aurum
Master Cruncher
The Great Basin
Project Badges:

I'd like to see progress bars for the belated climate projects. Use a Gaant chart style to document missed milestones and delays.

...KRI please cancel all shadow-banning
[May 22, 2019 6:35:35 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Still Alive
Advanced Cruncher
Germany
Project Badges:

Snurk : The introduction of the previous progress bars was definitely a big step forward, now it feels like two steps back.
+1 sad
ThreadRipper : I can understand the motives behind this change, but as many have expressed here already: it is demotivating. Personally, I found no issue in seeing the percentages as showing how much was done from the currently known work available. In my opinion that said a lot too.
+1 sad

AMD 3900X - 21 Threads @ 4,00 GHz - 24/7
Samsung Xcover4 - 4 Threads @ 1.43 Ghz - 24/7
[May 22, 2019 4:18:27 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 164   Pages: 17   [ Previous Page | 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread