Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 50
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 14148 times and has 49 replies Next Thread
Speedy51
Veteran Cruncher
New Zealand
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Choosing a high-end CPU

I am thinking of building a new machine, wondering what CPU is better for results turnover in regards to run time not points will be running windows 10. I believe faster return times are always better. I will most likely be using all-cause bar 1 this will be dedicated to the GPU
Please also state if references you provide are not running 24 hours. I will be running about 12 hours a day so I will divide the time by 2

i7-9700K:
8 Cores 8 Threads
Socket LGA1151v2
Base Clock 3.6 GHz
Boost Clock 4.9 GHz
Cache 12 MB
Lithography 14nm
Power draw 95W
i9-9900K:
Socket LGA1151v2
8 Cores 16 thread's
Base Clock 3.6 GHz
Boost Clock 5 GHz
Cache 16 MB
Lithography 14nm
Power draw also 95W

Machine will also be used as a daily driver. Thank you for your input
----------------------------------------

[Jun 5, 2019 7:40:33 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
BladeD
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Re: Choosing a high-end CPU

i7-9700K: 8 Cores 8 Threads

Only 8 threads...not high-end. wink
And there are many AMD CPUs at 16 threads or more!
[Jun 5, 2019 1:22:20 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Macromancer
Veteran Cruncher
United States
Project Badges:

You specifically mention results turnover in regards to run time using Win10 as the dominant parameter you're considering.

Any of the K series Intel CPUs overclocked will give you what you're looking for, assuming you have an excellent cooling solution and you're willing to delid your expensive intel CPU.
[Jun 5, 2019 1:47:00 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Speedy51
Veteran Cruncher
New Zealand
Project Badges:

i7-9700K: 8 Cores 8 Threads

Only 8 threads...not high-end. wink
And there are many AMD CPUs at 16 threads or more!

Thanks for your input. What I was meaning by high end was processor speed.
It will be interesting to see what happened on July 8 New Zealand time when the Ryzen 9 3900 X gets released 12/24 processor. Depending on complete build price I may go the Ryzen way

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Speedy51 at Jun 5, 2019 10:25:06 PM]
[Jun 5, 2019 10:03:12 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Speedy51
Veteran Cruncher
New Zealand
Project Badges:

You specifically mention results turnover in regards to run time using Win10 as the dominant parameter you're considering.

Any of the K series Intel CPUs overclocked will give you what you're looking for, assuming you have an excellent cooling solution and you're willing to delid your expensive intel CPU.

I agree with what you are saying. With a CPU that can run at 5 GHz, don't think I'll be needing to overclocked for some time. I am aware there is no multithreaded applications here but I would also be interested to hear from anyone that uses either CPU for multithreaded applications and how they perform

[Jun 5, 2019 10:43:54 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Speedy51
Veteran Cruncher
New Zealand
Project Badges:

I have realised I was meant to place this and the "hardware chat room" if somebody is able to move it over I would be more than happy for it to be moved. Apologies for placing it in the wrong chat room

[Jun 6, 2019 3:32:26 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Speedy51
Veteran Cruncher
New Zealand
Project Badges:

If I was looking at a 8 core 16 thread Intel or an 8 core 16 thread AMD am I better to go with Intel as it will have the higher clock speed?

[Jun 8, 2019 10:18:57 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I'm not an expert, and I would be more than happy for someone to tell me I'm wrong, but here are some of the things that I (personally) would bear in mind:

• The base clock speed is really the only one worth considering. The highest speeds quoted tend to only occur when very few, or even just one, processor is busy and when there is no thermal limitation. If you're running the machine flat out running things like grid applications, all processors will be busy all the time and thermals will be pushed hard. That means that boosts are unlikely to occur.
  • Clock speed doesn't really tell you the instruction rate. That depends on how many clock cycles are required for the most frequently encountered instructions. You're better off looking at what you consider to be the most appropriate benchmarks -- ones that use those most representative instructions. Others ought to be able to suggest which ones those might be, but you should still be able to get a good idea from the nature of the work being simulated in the benchmarks.
  • Your original two suggestions were both 8 CPU packages, but one had two instruction pipelines per processor. If you REALLY want JUST a fast turnaround, then a second pipeline would need to be switched off. However, having two pipelines means that there's a good chance that one pipeline can run while the other is stalled (waiting on something, such as a failed branch prediction). I always run with HT/SMT switched on as the overall throughput is higher that way.

Just some points to consider. I hope they help.
[Jun 8, 2019 11:31:56 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Speedy51
Veteran Cruncher
New Zealand
Project Badges:

Thanks for your tips. Sounds like it will either be the Ryzen 9 depending on price or the I 9

[Jun 9, 2019 4:43:15 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
BladeD
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Thanks for your tips. Sounds like it will either be the Ryzen 9 depending on price or the I 9

You said you're looking at 8 cores. The smallest Ryzen 9 is 12 cores!
[Jun 9, 2019 5:45:57 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread