Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 12
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1758 times and has 11 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Is it possible to run the client under Ubuntu without graphic card?

As titled, I downloaded the client under Ubuntu and followed instructions, but my server has no graphic it returned an error "Error: Unable to initialize GTK+, is DISPLAY set properly?"

Is it possible to run the BOINC Manager under command line without Display?
[Jun 30, 2019 1:53:42 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
BobCat13
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:
Re: Is it possible to run the client under Ubuntu without graphic card?

https://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Installing_BOINC_on_Ubuntu

Check the section titled "Non-graphics installation", as you will only need the client.

If you need a command line manager, you could try installing boinctui.
[Jun 30, 2019 4:43:27 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Thanks for your information, how can I install boinctui? I think I need it to configure project, etc.?
[Jul 1, 2019 12:37:17 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I have installed it via command: aptitude install boinctui, but how to confiture it to set project and account etc.? I can not find related information from https://boinc.berkeley.edu
[Jul 1, 2019 1:00:22 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

You can also find some basic info about Boinctui on my website:

https://dc.sheridon.de/how-to-control-boinc-on-command-line-with-boinctui

Look at the green bar at the bottom of Boinctui to see what you can do at any time. Pressing F9 to open the menu probably answers your preceeding question.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Jul 1, 2019 1:13:14 PM]
[Jul 1, 2019 1:08:59 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

It works now, great!Now can I Quit boinctui and it will run on the backend?
[Jul 1, 2019 4:35:01 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

and one more question, compared with win system, which one is more efficient?
[Jul 2, 2019 3:06:55 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Boinctui as well as the Boinc Manager are only programs to control the boinc client, which is the program that runs the workunits. So you can quit Boinctui and the work will continue to run in the background.

Windows vs Linux:
Zika and Smash Childhood Cancer run much faster (30% or something like that?) on Linux than on Windows. For the other projects I think there is no large difference between Linux and Windows.
[Jul 2, 2019 8:36:56 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Cool! But I get a new problem now, it looks like the boinc client works fine via the status shown on the boinctui interface, and two tasks were completed already, however, when I checked Device Statistics History under my WCG account panel, it shows: "instance-2-usa 07/02/2019 03:55:16 -:---:--:--:-- 0 0", this means there is no points or results returned after I runned it for almost one day.

Is there any reason for this issue? Which part callback the points/results to WCG server, boinc-client or boinctui?
[Jul 2, 2019 10:33:35 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Which port does boinc client or boinctui use to sent back results/points generated?
[Jul 2, 2019 10:55:16 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread