Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 10
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1802 times and has 9 replies Next Thread
WCGAdmin
World Community Grid Admin
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
May Update: OpenPandemics - COVID-19

The project has added GPU power to the existing strong CPU power that supports research for potential COVID-19 treatments.

https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/about_us/viewNewsArticle.do?articleId=705
[May 27, 2021 6:40:04 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: May Update: OpenPandemics - COVID-19

... 10 months CPU work done in 8 GPU days. Seriously considering to move my 12 OPN1 CPU threads onto a project that does not have GPU capability.

(of course the question is, and the return to 1700 GPU tasks per 30 minutes seems to infer, do the scientists even have the capacity to analyze the data at 37.5 times the old speed.)
[May 27, 2021 7:34:47 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

(of course the question is, and the return to 1700 GPU tasks per 30 minutes seems to infer, do the scientists even have the capacity to analyze the data at 37.5 times the old speed.)

I will be speculating there has to be some automated procedures to analyze the returned results, whether they are generated from cpu or gpu. Probably something along the lines of looking at the binding energy numbers and only further analyzing those who meet some predetermined threshold. After all, we are doing the preliminary screening to help narrow down the particular molecules or compounds for further testing. If we can get the millions of possibilities down to 50-100 that will hopefully yield some potential drug that can clear a sick person's system from this scourge.
Crunch on.
Cheers
----------------------------------------
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[May 27, 2021 10:32:17 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
yoerik
Senior Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:

... 10 months CPU work done in 8 GPU days. Seriously considering to move my 12 OPN1 CPU threads onto a project that does not have GPU capability.

yeah... same. For now I am reducing the number of OPN1 WUs, and will turn it off altogether once the project can resume sending out work to GPUs. I'm glad I was able to contribute this past year, but the GPU test has made it abundantly clear that the project is best served if it puts its time into supplying GPU WUs. 10 months of work in 8 days --- they can still send CPU WUs if they want; but GPU deserves the vast majority of the WUs in my book.

[May 28, 2021 1:51:48 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
DE KOMETEN
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Am thinking too about diminishing my daily CPU work, since GPU's will generate so much more results.

The only thing now is that the distribution of GPU WU's is something like a lottery. I havent got any GPU work since the beginning of May.
That makes it pointless thinking about computer upgrades (like perhaps an extra gfx card or upgrade).
A pity.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by DE KOMETEN at May 28, 2021 11:51:50 AM]
[May 28, 2021 11:51:02 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Grumpy Swede
Master Cruncher
Svíþjóð
Project Badges:

Well, if they're not going to increase the available work for the 100's of times more efficient app (GPU), then I for one, is not going to participate much at all. CPU crunching when there is a GPU app available, is just a total waste of electricity.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Grumpy Swede at May 28, 2021 12:22:23 PM]
[May 28, 2021 12:21:47 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
pututu
Senior Cruncher
United States
Project Badges:

I thought the task generation is like 2000 tasks instead of 1700 tasks every 30 mins as stated by uplinger here and here.

[Edit 2 times, last edit by pututu at May 29, 2021 5:37:54 AM]
[May 29, 2021 5:36:07 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
yoerik
Senior Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:

I thought the task generation is like 2000 tasks instead of 1700 tasks every 30 mins as stated by uplinger here and here.

it was over a month between those posts and the project update. Perhaps they found 1.7k / 30 minutes made sense given the current capabilities of the grid and the researchers' system? Hopefully they can find a way to massively increase GPUs' WU availability.

[May 29, 2021 12:03:47 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Speedy51
Veteran Cruncher
New Zealand
Project Badges:

Everybody has their individual goals. In terms of being able to get just GPU work without babysitting at the moment to my understanding is not possible. Unless you don't want to run any CPU work

[Jun 9, 2021 3:21:04 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Speedy51
Veteran Cruncher
New Zealand
Project Badges:

The project has added GPU power to the existing strong CPU power that supports research for potential COVID-19 treatments

It would appear that they aren't able to process the amount of work from the CPU application let alone the GPU application as well. Results returned per day have dropped from over 1,000,00 to somewhere around the 500,000 mark. Here is the reason . From this explanation I am not sure if it is a permanent cutback or temporary, have a feeling may be permanent

[Jun 22, 2021 3:59:52 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread