Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Thread Type: Sticky Thread
Total posts in this thread: 111
Posts: 111   Pages: 12   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
This topic has been viewed 100735 times and has 110 replies Next Thread
caitilarkin
Former World Community Grid Admin
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Transition Questions and Answers

Will our points transition this time? When World Community Grid (or whatever it had been called before) moved to IBM, I lost several years-worth of points. Now, with over 128 years, I really don't want to be "bombed back to zero") again. It was a bit demoralizing when I lost a few years-worth of points, but it would be a pretty big blow to my enthusiasm to have to start from zero again.

(And again, security of the platform and our local clients and their work units is a big concern, so please make sure that remains a very high priority.)

Thanks.

We anticipate that points are going to move over seamlessly, as World Community Grid is staying with BOINC.

Security remains a top priority for World Community Grid, and has always been a priority for Krembil Research Institute (as a scientific organization) and its parent organization, University Health Network (as a large academic hospital network).
[Sep 13, 2021 1:57:51 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Crosster
Cruncher
France
Project Badges:

Will existing and especially new results of the research projects remain in the public domain free of charge?

I have the same question
----------------------------------------

[Sep 13, 2021 1:57:52 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
caitilarkin
USA
Project Badges:

Will existing and especially new results of the research projects remain in the public domain free of charge?

I have the same question

Yes! The existing and future results of research projects will remain free and open to the public.

Open data, open software is the key and fundamental principle that Krembil Research Institute supports. It is essential for reproducible science, and it is critical for our progress. We aim to further expand the open data by integrating and annotating results from WCG projects to ensure they are not only available to others, but that their value is further enriched.
[Sep 13, 2021 2:00:02 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
caitilarkin
USA
Project Badges:

IBM computers can still participate in World Community Grid.

Can yes, but will they? As employee computers are upgraded, will this transition to an opt-in system where IBM employees would have to have heard about the project from somebody who was around when it was active?

IBM made $18.75 billion in the last quarter alone, and have far more resources, employees, and technical knowledge than the Krembil Research Institute.

Why is IBM walking away from its commitment?

IBM employees are already on an opt-in system with World Community Grid, and have been for a number of years.

Regarding IBM's decision to transfer ownership of World Community Grid, they did so because they believe Krembil will be better able to expand its impact and reach for the benefit of researchers and their research initiatives.

A scientific research organization may not have as many technical resources, but they can train their existing people and hire new ones.
[Sep 13, 2021 2:06:35 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Darren MacKenzie
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Will our points transition this time? When World Community Grid (or whatever it had been called before) moved to IBM, I lost several years-worth of points. Now, with over 128 years, I really don't want to be "bombed back to zero") again. It was a bit demoralizing when I lost a few years-worth of points, but it would be a pretty big blow to my enthusiasm to have to start from zero again.

I'm concerned about this, too. My current run time of over 28 years and 69 million points, would be a huge blow emotionally to have to restart at 0.

I get that the research is very important, but for those that contribute to the resources for helping with this, statistics are also important to many of us.
[Sep 13, 2021 2:07:27 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Grumpy Swede
Master Cruncher
Svíþjóð
Project Badges:

Krembil Research Institute is mainly focused on what they write here: https://www.uhn.ca/Research/Research_Institut.../Pages/about_Krembil.aspx

So, does that mean that other areas like environmental research like Africa Rainfall Project, and other coming projects like that, will end, or never start?

[Sep 13, 2021 2:09:56 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
caitilarkin
USA
Project Badges:

Krembil Research Institute is mainly focused on what they write here: https://www.uhn.ca/Research/Research_Institut.../Pages/about_Krembil.aspx

So, does that mean that other areas like environmental research like Africa Rainfall Project, and other coming projects like that, will end, or never start?

Krembil plans to continue to support the Africa Rainfall Project--and all the existing active projects--for as long as needed, which is generally until each project's researchers decide that they have completed their work on World Community Grid.

They're in discussions with diverse funding bodies to ensure long-term funding for World Community Grid. While their own research is strongly health-related, they do recognize the importance of other research projects, and they hope to secure support for those as well.
[Sep 13, 2021 2:15:31 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Grumpy Swede
Master Cruncher
Svíþjóð
Project Badges:

So, what is the real reason after all these years, for IBM, to step away from WCG? What about the rest of the philanthropic initiative of IBM Corporate Citizenship?

Will IBM wind down IBM Corporate Citizenship as a whole?

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Grumpy Swede at Sep 13, 2021 2:23:31 PM]
[Sep 13, 2021 2:22:48 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Dayle Diamond
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

Regarding IBM's decision to transfer ownership of World Community Grid, they did so because they believe Krembil will be better able to expand its impact and reach for the benefit of researchers and their research initiatives.

A scientific research organization may not have as many technical resources, but they can train their existing people and hire new ones.

So did the KRI or WCG ask for this before IBM decided to no longer support the grid?

The KRI doesn't have its own building - and has so few staff that an unexpected setback, like a natural disaster, funding or staffing change, organizational restructuring, or novel technical glitch could compromise the project. If something goes awry after the formal transition phase, is IBM going to intervene?
[Sep 13, 2021 2:26:08 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
caitilarkin
USA
Project Badges:

So, what is the real reason after all these years, for IBM, to step away from WCG? What about the rest of the philanthropic initiative of IBM Corporate Citizenship?

Will IBM wind down IBM Corporate Citizenship as a whole?

We're not in a position to answer these questions, as we're no longer part of IBM. But it's not unexpected that a company would make changes to its philanthropic aims from time to time.
[Sep 13, 2021 2:28:54 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 111   Pages: 12   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread