Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Thread Type: Sticky Thread
Total posts in this thread: 111
Posts: 111   Pages: 12   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
This topic has been viewed 67445 times and has 110 replies Next Thread
supdood
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Transition Questions and Answers

There is a question from Grumpy Swede in the comments thread that is worthwhile reposting here:

Will the project staff from IBM/WCG also move to Krembil Research Institute?
----------------------------------------
Crunch with BOINC team USA
www.boincusa.com

[Sep 13, 2021 2:33:18 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
caitilarkin
Former World Community Grid Admin
USA
Project Badges:

Regarding IBM's decision to transfer ownership of World Community Grid, they did so because they believe Krembil will be better able to expand its impact and reach for the benefit of researchers and their research initiatives.

A scientific research organization may not have as many technical resources, but they can train their existing people and hire new ones.

So did the KRI or WCG ask for this before IBM decided to no longer support the grid?

The KRI doesn't have its own building - and has so few staff that an unexpected setback, like a natural disaster, funding or staffing change, organizational restructuring, or novel technical glitch could compromise the project. If something goes awry after the formal transition phase, is IBM going to intervene?

World Community Grid has always had a relatively small staff within a large organization. It will continue to have a small staff (including support from the current World Community Grid team throughout the transition) within a large organization (University Health Network). If something goes awry after the formal transition, the program will have the support it needs from its parent organization and from within its own employee group.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by caitilarkin at Sep 13, 2021 2:34:19 PM]
[Sep 13, 2021 2:33:51 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
GWG
Cruncher
AUSTRALIA
Project Badges:

My question relates to future projects: one of the facets of the WCG that I appreciated was the breadth of research.

I would be very disappointed if new projects only came from the Institute taking over the hosting, and I would lose interest if WCG became the fiefdom of the new host institute.

Can you give some assurance that this will not happen?

George W Gerrity
Mb: +61 429 400 912
Campbell, ACT 2612
Australia

[Sep 13, 2021 2:39:04 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
caitilarkin
USA
Project Badges:

There is a question from Grumpy Swede in the comments thread that is worthwhile reposting here:

Will the project staff from IBM/WCG also move to Krembil Research Institute?

The existing World Community Grid team is helping with the transition process. For the long term, Krembil is working hard to secure additional funding. It may take some time, but once there are sufficient funds available, it is their intention to continue with and expand the existing team that would be available.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by caitilarkin at Sep 13, 2021 3:59:59 PM]
[Sep 13, 2021 2:39:29 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

What new projects are we likely to see from World Community Grid do to moving to Krembil Research Institute
[Sep 13, 2021 2:44:27 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
caitilarkin
USA
Project Badges:

My question relates to future projects: one of the facets of the WCG that I appreciated was the breadth of research.

I would be very disappointed if new projects only came from the Institute taking over the hosting, and I would lose interest if WCG became the fiefdom of the new host institute.

Can you give some assurance that this will not happen?

The aim of World Community Grid remains the same: it is to support research that benefits humanity, and that can benefit from the World Community Grid platform. Krembil's goals right now are for a smooth transition. Later, the short-term goals will include adding new projects for globally important areas, such as Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s and arthritis, in addition to viruses and pathogens. While cancer will remain a strong focus, these new areas will benefit even broader global communities.
[Sep 13, 2021 2:49:18 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mdxi
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

I've been wondering about something for a while, and it seems like this might be the time to ask or forever hold my peace:

Before the pandemic happened, the word was that there were two more climate-focused projects in the pipeline behind ARP.

The past 18 months have seen so much change that it is, of course, understandable that those plans would have changed as well -- but I'm curious about the disposition of those projects.

[Sep 13, 2021 2:58:57 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Falconet
Master Cruncher
Portugal
Project Badges:

I've been wondering about something for a while, and it seems like this might be the time to ask or forever hold my peace:

Before the pandemic happened, the word was that there were two more climate-focused projects in the pipeline behind ARP.

The past 18 months have seen so much change that it is, of course, understandable that those plans would have changed as well -- but I'm curious about the disposition of those projects.

Read this: https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/research/climate.action

AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF 4C/8T 3.2 GHz - 85W
AMD Ryzen 5 2500U 4C/8T 2.0 GHz - 28W
Intel Z3740 4C/4T 1.8 GHz - 6W
[Sep 13, 2021 3:00:01 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Grumpy Swede
Master Cruncher
Svíþjóð
Project Badges:

I see from the news announcement, that there will be an updated website. What about the forums? Will there be a new forum too, or no forums at all?

And, if there will be a new forum, I take it that the old posts, will not be migrated.

[Sep 13, 2021 3:09:02 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
caitilarkin
USA
Project Badges:

I see from the news announcement, that there will be an updated website. What about the forums? Will there be a new forum too, or no forums at all?

And, if there will be a new forum, I take it that the old posts, will not be migrated.

There is an updated website coming very soon.

The forum will be migrated, but the look and feel will be updated. However, we're not migrating to new forum software at this time, in part because we want to keep the old posts (and keep everybody's post counts intact).
[Sep 13, 2021 3:14:40 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 111   Pages: 12   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread