Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Thread Type: Sticky Thread
Total posts in this thread: 89
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 34392 times and has 88 replies Next Thread
chiara.p
World Community Grid Admin, Mapping Cancer Markers Scientist
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
WCG Data Transfer Underway, Stress Test of New Infrastructure Scheduled For Feb 28th

We have started to transfer data for all active WCG projects to the Krembil Research Institute. We are gearing up to start testing the whole system on February 28, 2022.

You can learn more about it here .

During this final phase of the migration, we will post all updates and communications on a simplified WCG website, and will cross-post them on WCG Facebook and Twitter pages. Unfortunately, neither forums, nor the full WCG webpage material will be accessible during this time.
[Feb 10, 2022 12:24:36 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
tgmct
Cruncher
Project Badges:
Re: WCG Data Transfer Underway, Stress Test of New Infrastructure Scheduled For Feb 28th

The transition plan is questionable, at best. I've performed a number of complete data center moves and NONE of them required end user data access suspension of more than two days. The timing and data impact of what I've read just seems totally unrealistic! Why wouldn't the new system be stress tested BEFORE the cutover begins? There just does not seem to be any priority to keeping things running. The term 'critical path' seems to be missing from the entire ordeal.
[Feb 10, 2022 3:52:05 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jurisica
World Community Grid Admin, Mapping Cancer Markers and Help Conquer Cancer Scientist
Project Badges:
Re: WCG Data Transfer Underway, Stress Test of New Infrastructure Scheduled For Feb 28th

Thank you for your insight tgmct. Indeed, we also moved both hardware and software on our side with very little outage.

But here, we are moving a system that we did not create, we are not moving hardware and we are reconfiguring the system to the new environment.

In an ideal world, you are absolutely right, the switch-over would be smoother; but, we are running our of time, and thus it is prudent to go to plan B, as we do not have extra time for the test before the move,
[Feb 10, 2022 4:01:30 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
biini
Senior Cruncher
Finland
Project Badges:

I must try this at work :-)

"I didnt build this system, and we are running out of time, and no time to test anything, so everything will be down for two months" :-D

Anyways, best of luck with the migration, hope all goes well.
----------------------------------------

rtx, xeon, i9, ryzen, rnd laptops
dAM0NES 1991 ppl interested in beer, amigas or electornic music
[Edit 2 times, last edit by biini at Feb 10, 2022 7:25:30 AM]
[Feb 10, 2022 7:00:11 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Grumpy Swede
Master Cruncher
Svíþjóð
Project Badges:

I crunch WCG only, and no other project. I have no interest in any other project for now. If WCG is down for a couple of months, it's of no critical importance to me. The upside of the downtime, is that I'm going to save lots of money on electricity smile

Whenever WCG comes back, I'll crunch. When it's down, I do not crunch. Simple as that.

Good luck with the Transition!

[Feb 10, 2022 3:35:16 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

The transition plan is questionable, at best. I've performed a number of complete data center moves and NONE of them required end user data access suspension of more than two days. The timing and data impact of what I've read just seems totally unrealistic! Why wouldn't the new system be stress tested BEFORE the cutover begins? There just does not seem to be any priority to keeping things running. The term 'critical path' seems to be missing from the entire ordeal.

In a galaxy far away and long ago I participated in some smaller cutovers. No matter how hard and thoroughly you plan, Murphy tends to show up and invoke his law. On the bright side, perhaps things will go more smoothly than expected and the outage time will be shortened.
Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Feb 10, 2022 5:04:26 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Comparing apples and oranges. Business systems that generate revenue or other critical activities in a business environment (payroll, manage safety systems, etc) cannot be down for days on end or even hours. WCG, on the other hand, is not a business critical environment contrary to the thoughts of many contributors. It could be down for several months and nobody, other than contributors, would care. I would bet the researchers probably welcome the outage to get caught up on the batches that have already been returned and to prepare for the next startup.
[Feb 10, 2022 6:28:28 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Dayle Diamond
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

That's a grim view. I would hope the Krembil Cancer Center staff would support this project with the same urgency that we do.
[Feb 11, 2022 9:48:15 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
BobbyB
Veteran Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:

In a galaxy far away and long ago I participated in some smaller cutovers. No matter how hard and thoroughly you plan, Murphy tends to show up and invoke his law.
Here in Montréal he was called Murphé

I'm just wondering if WCG will not lose some volunteers as they drift somewhere else during that time.

I will be off to Rosetta during that time.

On the positive side will we be given a warning via email when the project will be about to start up again whether it is before or after the projected date?
[Edit 2 times, last edit by BobbyB at Feb 11, 2022 4:32:54 PM]
[Feb 11, 2022 4:28:46 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread