Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 8
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 929 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
windows agent not installing correctly?

Hi folks,

I just switched from the grid.org UD client to the WCG UD client. This went fine on my home machine (grid.org client uninstalled, WCG client installed, all went well) but on my work machine, I'm having trouble. I uninstalled the grid.org client through Add/Remove Programs, then ran the install for WCG. I let it install to the default location in Program Files (plenty of free disk space) and I get the following "textless" message after I click "Close" in the installer:

When I click on the OK button in this message, I get to the agent registration screen, but again, with missing text:

If I check the "I am an existing member" checkbox at the top and enter my login info and a unique device name and click the lower right hand button, I get another error message of some kind:

At that point, I click on the OK button. There is a system tray icon until clicking OK in this last message, then the icon disappears. The only process running related to WCG after the last window disappears is UD.EXE and it's not taking any CPU time. I don't see the other processes one usually sees like the "rosetta" one or perhaps something specific to WCG.

I've tried uninstalling, rebooting, reinstalling, and the same thing happens. I've gone so far as to reinstall the grid.org client, then run the WCG setup which uninstalls the grid.org client (this is what I did at home and it worked fine) then ran the WCG client install again and it still does the same thing. I have made sure to delete the Program Files folder from the grid.org client and WCG client when reinstalling. I have no firewall software running on the PC that would be preventing a connection from being made, and have no proxy settings to make. (Up until this morning, I was running the grid.org client on the same computer and it had no difficulties connecting, if that's any indication.)

Any ideas? smile

thanks,
Milo
[Nov 4, 2005 6:04:47 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: windows agent not installing correctly?

I'm not sure but look at your Firewall..
[Nov 4, 2005 7:03:24 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Please check out the posts listed below regarding McAfee anti-virus software (I know you indicate you have no anti-virus software running, but the symptoms are identical):

McAfee VirusScan 8.0 Problems
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread?thread=347#3130
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread?thread=753#3129

These were listed in the FAQ posting at http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread?thread=1804#10050
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Nov 4, 2005 7:09:51 PM]
[Nov 4, 2005 7:07:23 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Viktors
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:

If you are using McAfee version 8, upgrading to a newer version might help. Otherwise, try turning off "buffer overflow protection" and "parental controls" and see if that helps.
[Nov 5, 2005 7:30:28 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Now that you mention it, yes, the machine does have McAfee running, and it could very well be version 8. I'll check it out on Monday - thanks all for the suggestions, and sorry for asking something that's in a FAQ. smile

Milo
[Nov 5, 2005 8:18:55 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Milo --

No problem. I don't think the symptoms on this problem would have easily pointed you to that item in the FAQ anyway. The way I spotted it was that you did such a good job at describing the symptoms you were seeing that I was able to know that we have seen that one before.

Best regards,
[Nov 5, 2005 10:01:45 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Just checked my work machine and yes indeed, it's running McAfee VirusScan 8.0. I disabled all Access Protection and Buffer Overflow Protection stuff and WCG works like a charm now. Thanks all!

Milo
[Nov 7, 2005 2:56:13 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Happy we were able to help smile
[Nov 7, 2005 6:24:38 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread