Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 19
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1660 times and has 18 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Length of this project

I was just curious if there is an expected length of time this project will run for given the current throughput of the grid.

Obviously this cannot be very exact since the size of the grid will change and other factors, just interested if we are looking at months or years, ie a very rough estimate.
[Nov 23, 2005 7:21:32 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Length of this project

according to thebody.com, the first phase of this project is set to last three months. Not sure how accurate, or 'stable', that timeframe is.

http://www.thebody.com/cdc/news_updates_archi...v21_05/fightaidshome.html

Scotchula
[Nov 23, 2005 7:46:00 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
cool Re: Length of this project

Okay no question to stupid right? Have u got a calculation on many computing years would be involved over a 3 month time period? Getting more friends to hook up requires some numbers for some reason.
[Nov 23, 2005 8:55:24 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Dcambly, I dunno if that question was directed towards me spacificly, but the answer from me is, I have no idea. I'd be curious to know myself. Not only a more solid answer then mine to the original question, but an answer to yours as well.

To be sure, the more 'friends' we have get on board the better. There are already people opting for one project or the other, and with more projects to be 'on the plate' in early '06, our resources will be taxed even further. All good reasons for us to be sending out the call!

Scotchula
[Nov 23, 2005 9:26:19 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
David Autumns
Ace Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:

Dcambly

3 months would be over 5000 years going on our performance to date

But we are building up a great turn of speed at the mo

Great to see some new folks posting around here

Happy Crunching
Dave
----------------------------------------

[Nov 23, 2005 10:22:58 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
David Autumns
Ace Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:

btw I've been asking the IBM crew the same question but they are all in a thankgiving mood and after a new project and the new Linux agent in quick succession they deserve a break.

I'll let you know as soon as I get any info

Don't go switching off
Dave

[Nov 23, 2005 10:25:38 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Viktors
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:

... but they are all in a Thanksgiving mood ...

True... but even while away from home sitting in a San Diego coffee shop with free wireless planning a trip to the zoo we still have an uncontrollable urge to check on our grid.

It is way too early to tell how long the new FightAIDS@home project will run. We are still tuning the sharing between the new project and the remaining work for Human Proteome Folding 1. Also, the researchers will be tuning parameters based on early results and this will also affect total project time. Meanwhile, many new members are joining which is helping run everything faster. So we will see...
[Nov 24, 2005 6:50:03 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hiya guys. on my p4 3.2ghz, each work job takes about 5 and a half hours
I aim to get a amd 939 X2 3800 pc soon, which will cut the job time to (I think about) 1 and a half hours!
Now all we have to do is to get more people with amd 939 X2 3800 machines!
cool
[Nov 24, 2005 8:04:28 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
David Autumns
Ace Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:

Hi Viktors

It's terrible when it get's you like that wink

You would never catch me hooked on this great project like that biggrin

(Says he with with a favourite link programmed into a Windows powered mobile phone so I could check on MOT's progress while on holiday in Crete - nerd )

Have a great Holiday Viktors

mmmm this moby of mine has a 200Mhz processor inside - I wonder thinking

[Edit 1 times, last edit by David Autumns at Nov 24, 2005 8:28:19 PM]
[Nov 24, 2005 8:26:42 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hiya guys. on my p4 3.2ghz, each work job takes about 5 and a half hours
I aim to get a amd 939 X2 3800 pc soon, which will cut the job time to (I think about) 1 and a half hours!
Now all we have to do is to get more people with amd 939 X2 3800 machines!
cool

You might want to first check with the World Community Grid tech people to see if FAAH will use both cores on a dual core machine. From what I have seen with the Protein Folding project only one core was used. Getting an answer to this question might save you the time and expense of upgrading if the software cannot use both cores.
[Nov 24, 2005 10:54:36 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread