Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 16
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 760 times and has 15 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
is it worth to ...

Hello,

I'm new to WCG and like to contribute my cpu time, but I wonder if it is worth to crunch with a computer that is only on a few hours a day. I'm not a PC fanatic and I use it only at home for mail and newsgroups and sometimes just for searching the Net.
I'm afraid some tasks will runout of time and so I will spoil the whole thing. It would be stupid to think I'm doing something good for mankind while no WU can be accomplished, don't you agree?
I installed WCG a few days ago and it is performing it's first task, with around 25 % done.

Is it wise to continue or shall I leave the project to people who have more CPU time to offer?

BTW: sorry for my bad English, I'm Flemish.

Parco
[Dec 3, 2005 10:00:37 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: is it worth to ...

i leave mine on. i think it's about the same as leaving on 1 light bulb in your house.
[Dec 3, 2005 10:30:51 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
David Autumns
Ace Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:

Morning Parco

You have up to 3 weeks to return a work unit. The HIV work units are running at about 8 hours at the moment. So if you can spare about 22 minutes on average per day on your PC then it will contribute to the total.

Just think

It could be that work unit that makes the difference.

Don't give up on us Parco to quote an advertising slogan from a Huge Supermarket in the UK

"Every little helps"

Dave
----------------------------------------

[Dec 3, 2005 10:55:53 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
depriens
Senior Cruncher
The Netherlands
Project Badges:

I agree with David, every bit helps. So if your pc is only running one hour per day (or less) just keep on crunching! biggrin

BTW: What's Flemish? Is it "Vlaams"?

[Dec 3, 2005 6:03:41 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I agree with David, every bit helps. So if your pc is only running one hour per day (or less) just keep on crunching! biggrin

BTW: What's Flemish? Is it "Vlaams"?

Well, my PC is running more than just one hour a day so maybe I can keep on crunching, let's wait and see then. I do like to contribute and indeed that tiny bit can make a difference in the end ...

Yes 'Flemish' means 'Vlaams', I'm from the Flemish (or Dutch) speaking part of Belgium. Dutch is our official language, it differs from Flemish like UK-English differs from US-English.

BTW: many people think Dutch is 'Deutch' but Deutch is 'German' the language they speak in Germany, Dutch is from The Netherlands and Flanders.
Oops ...I sound like and old teacher now ... sorry biggrin

Cya guys

Parco
[Dec 4, 2005 7:55:43 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Sorry to bother you again, but ... something happened here.
The WU was running around 40 % and after a while it suddenly changed to another task ( I think ), anyway it restarted from zero %. My points are still at zero, the same as my cpu time.
Is it possible the task just started over again?
Or was it running out of time? ( it began 4 days ago I believe)
Or was it WCG who decided to upload another WU?
[Dec 4, 2005 8:43:59 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hello Parco,
I do not know what happened. What project were you running, with what software? (BOINC Linux, BOINC Windows, UD Windows). I suspect you were running FAAH on UD Windows. A while back Viktors set a temporary 4 day runtime limit when some work units seemed to go into an endless loop. He's on a trip and I have not heard of any change to this.

In any case, the server can never control what your agent does. Your agent has to initiate communications with the server.

(By the way, you should have asked your question in a new thread up in Windows or Linux Support. Not a problem though. We admins can say "I don't know" anywhere. smile )
mycrofth

Added: If this temporary time limit is still in effect, you can switch to HPF (limits are 3 weeks clock time, 2 weeks run time) until Viktors removes the temporary limit on FAAH
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Dec 4, 2005 10:42:08 AM]
[Dec 4, 2005 10:37:42 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
depriens
Senior Cruncher
The Netherlands
Project Badges:

Yes 'Flemish' means 'Vlaams', I'm from the Flemish (or Dutch) speaking part of Belgium. Dutch is our official language, it differs from Flemish like UK-English differs from US-English.

BTW: many people think Dutch is 'Deutch' but Deutch is 'German' the language they speak in Germany, Dutch is from The Netherlands and Flanders.

Indeed, I'm from The Netherlands myself, but I have to admit that I prefer the Flemish language over the real Dutch language. It just sounds better! biggrin

[Dec 4, 2005 12:53:04 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Indeed, I'm from The Netherlands myself, but I have to admit that I prefer the Flemish language over the real Dutch language. It just sounds better! biggrin

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Well i like it all as long as i can understand it smile
[Dec 4, 2005 1:38:48 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Personally ( and this is where I OUT myself) every little bit helps, not only for my possible future survival but eventualy where the drugs are needed most, Africa, sth East Asia etc. Hey Parco. You may end up finding the solution just from your 22 minutes a day on the computer. As in ALL things, every little bit counts.

Gary
[Dec 5, 2005 12:06:52 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread