Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 5
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 395 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
TheVegaWarrior
Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Suggestion: Get workunits through the web browser ?

Hi,

At work, I'm behind a rather sophisticated firewall. It is, amongst others, able to make the distinction between different kind of web clients...

So, after all the attempts I made, I couldn't go further than downloading the master file. I changed all my proxy setting, etc... But it still don't work. I don't want to spend more time on debugging this, so I wonder:

Would it not be valuable to be able to download work unit as zip files from a web site and upload zipped results produced by the BOINC manager (or UD daemon) ?

Kind regards,
[May 9, 2006 11:03:26 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
retsof
Former Community Advisor
USA
Project Badges:
Re: Suggestion: Get workunits through the web browser ?

I assume that you have permission to do this at work. Strange network activity will bring you unwanted attention if you do not.

Downloads come in via port 80. To run behind a proxy firewall, access must be given to outbound port 443. Files are sent to server.worldcommunitygrid.org

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread?thread=2166#12765
----------------------------------------
SUPPORT ADVISOR
Work+GPU i7 8700 12threads
School i7 4770 8threads
Default+GPU Ryzen 7 3700X 16threads
Ryzen 7 3800X 16 threads
Ryzen 9 3900X 24threads
Home i7 3540M 4threads50%
[May 9, 2006 2:07:01 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

BOINC also needs to make scheduler requests to get preferences and report benchmarks and completed results. Because of this, it won't be enough just to down/upload work seperately with a browser.

But, what you can do is transfer work to/from another machine, and let all the downloading and reporting be done by that machine. It's something of a gray area, though - I haven't tried it myself, but I recall others having difficulty with this.
[May 9, 2006 5:45:22 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
retsof
Former Community Advisor
USA
Project Badges:

But, what you can do is transfer work to/from another machine, and let all the downloading and reporting be done by that machine. It's something of a gray area, though - I haven't tried it myself, but I recall others having difficulty with this.
That option works quite well with the UD interface. It's also helpful to have UDMonitor to manage the slots if there is more than one, and there likely will be if you are harvesting data from multiple machines. You just have to stop execution and copy stuff in the main UD directory back and forth.
The dependent directories just contain some graphics that will be regenerated. grid.org also has info about this in their "sneakernet" section. The UD interface is the same even though datasets may have slightly different names. The essence at both grid.org and worldcommunitygrid.org projects is similar, but this isn't for the timid. It's easy to get confused. Pay attention to the clock and date, which can be reset when you don't want it to be.

I had a lot of problems trying that with BOINC. The timing is more tightly tied to the system(s), and the project due date got reset to 1901 or something when flipping systems back and forth. I never got any successful results after messing with it for a few days. Since BOINC has a feature allowing uploading/downloading simultaneously with running the next workunit, I would just leave BOINC alone and let it do its thing. It is already complex enough.
SUPPORT ADVISOR
Work+GPU i7 8700 12threads
School i7 4770 8threads
Default+GPU Ryzen 7 3700X 16threads
Ryzen 7 3800X 16 threads
Ryzen 9 3900X 24threads
Home i7 3540M 4threads50%
[Edit 4 times, last edit by retsof at May 9, 2006 7:57:43 PM]
[May 9, 2006 7:47:09 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TheVegaWarrior
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Indeed, I could make this work. Many thanks for your answers. I still have another problem that I mentioned in the UD Support forum (here ), but it's less important...

Thanks again !
[May 16, 2006 1:16:25 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread