Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 44
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 11292 times and has 43 replies Next Thread
boulmontjj
Senior Cruncher
France
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Many WU in error on one of my PC's

Boinc is running since more than one year on my daughter's PC.
Every thing was ok until yesterday.
I had 9 WU's that terminated in error for HPF2 project after a couple of seconds running.

For every WU in error, the same message :

<core_client_version>6.2.28</core_client_version>
<![CDATA[
<message>
Fonction incorrecte. (0x1) - exit code 1 (0x1)
</message>
<stderr_txt>
ERROR:: Exit at: .\dock_structure.cc line:401

</stderr_txt>
]]>

I solved the problem by changing the device profile from "home" to "school" for that machine and unselect HPF2 for school profile.

Nothing has been changed on that PC.
No windows update, no Boinc update, nothing installed.
I'm at work and can't give Boinc version and so on from here but if it necessary, i'll give what is necessary this afternoon when i go home.

Doe's anyone had the same problem or was it the 1st of April kidding from WCG ?
----------------------------------------

Rejoignez nous et visitez le site de l'équipe France ici http://www.grid-france.fr
[Apr 2, 2009 8:56:46 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher
Re: Many WU in error on one of my PC's

Hi boulmontjj,

Yes, many threads on this error which happens in the first minutes and FAIK only on Vista, not all for I got it eventually stable again with a 6.6 alpha client. That worked for me, but others testing did not succeed. Go back to 5.10.45 and do a service install. Think that works.

Until then, no reason found why exactly it happens, but it's something in BOINC 6 and or it's API. Possibly the security parts of the operating system have issue.
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Sekerob at Apr 2, 2009 9:15:00 AM]
[Apr 2, 2009 9:12:38 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
boulmontjj
Senior Cruncher
France
Project Badges:

For info, i have exactly the same version of Boinc on my Quad which is also on Vista and nothign special to report.
Just with my daughter's machine (Vista too, same update, same Avast, ...), just not the same machine !
No problem for me, it works with others projects.

Rejoignez nous et visitez le site de l'équipe France ici http://www.grid-france.fr
[Apr 2, 2009 10:15:31 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
RJSEinSF
Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I recently started running HFP2 work units and am getting the same error. The 2 most recent work units are listed below.

Running Vista SP1 on an HP laptop with AMD Turion 64x2 TL52 processor with 2gb physical memory and 4gb virtual memory.

BOINC is at 6.4.7

All other World Community Grid project's work units are completing without errors.

April 1st work unit ran for 2.94 cpu hours on April 1st and errored out.
April 2nd work unit ran for 4.78 cpu hours and errored out. Previous HFP2 work units have also errored out. Any ideas?

Result Log

<core_client_version>6.4.7</core_client_version>
<![CDATA[
<message>
Incorrect function. (0x1) - exit code 1 (0x1)
</message>
<stderr_txt>

</stderr_txt>
[Apr 2, 2009 5:16:57 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Hi RJSEinSF,

As noted in my first post above, it's a well known error and always happening within minutes from start and no reason found yet. The percent is too small to stop the project, also because hardly any CPU time is lost, where yours running longer is highly exceptional.

What will happen in future is that the servers will trace systems that have a problem with a specific project and not send them these anymore, even when selected. The client will then record an entry in the message log. If only we knew what the cause is. sad

Client 6.4.7 is not recommended. At Berkeley forum there are many problem reports with this client. We advice to stick with 6.2.28 for now or if need be 5.10.45 for windows. The 6.6 client is still in test.

sorry
[Apr 2, 2009 5:26:29 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
RJSEinSF
Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Hi Sekerob:

Thanks for the quick post. I will drop out of HFP2 for now and downgrade BOINC to 6.2.28 if I experience any other odd errors with my other project's work units.

Thanks again,

Rick
[Apr 2, 2009 5:33:09 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
boulmontjj
Senior Cruncher
France
Project Badges:

I thought i found some thing that could be a reason.
My daughter's PC has AMD proc and my quad has Intel proc but i just have the same problem on my quad one half an hour ago so AMD or Intel, no diference. sad

[Edit 1 times, last edit by boulmontjj at Apr 2, 2009 6:46:25 PM]
[Apr 2, 2009 6:46:03 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

One of the possibles it's working on my Vista quad is that I explicitly excluded in Avast (our commonality) the data directory and a wild card for the possible slots that BOINC creates for jobs in progress. I also explicitly set some extra user permissions on the folders, but what made it tick was a 6.6 alpha and every alpha release since it continued working 100% score, and more oddly, faster than ever, same computer, same OS.
[Apr 2, 2009 6:56:34 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

This error is no longer behaving in the previously predictable manner ...
mi276_ 00019_ 2-- Error 3/31/09 03:53:49 4/2/09 22:12:22 2.03 51.5 / 0.0

<core_client_version>6.2.28</core_client_version>
<![CDATA[
<message>
Incorrect function. (0x1) - exit code 1 (0x1)
</message>
<stderr_txt>

</stderr_txt>
]]>

I understand this is a low priority for WCG but I wanted to let other crunchers know that if they have been ignoring this issue because most HPFII are completing properly then they may want to reconsider that position.
[Apr 3, 2009 9:31:57 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Sekerob and Snow Crash, thanks for staying on top of the problem. It's a shame that many new, faster Vista machines are having trouble. Keep in mind that a couple of failed work units won't affect our project so much as it wastes the crunchers cpu time. If Vista users are seeing only occasional failures, then it shouldn't matter much if they stay attached to HPF.

HPF produces thousands of random protein simulations per [a-z]{2}[0-9]{3} work unit, ie "mi276". We use, among other things, how well each of these converges on a similar structure as a measure of confidence. Although I'm sure WCG re-runs any failures on other machines, it wouldn't hurt us to lose a few.
--
Patrick
[Apr 3, 2009 1:58:21 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread