Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 14
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 13200 times and has 13 replies Next Thread
GIBA
Ace Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Ranking projects for better control of work received

On the other hand, as responsible open source developers, they contribute back to BOINC any useful scheduler enhancements, such as the homogeneous redundancy feature.

We definitely do contribute back to BOINC our useful changes* and have done so in the past. In particular, we added vastly expanded support for multiple sub-projects, the 'reliable' host mechanism and a number of other items. Grep the BOINC change logs for Kevin Reed or WCG or World Community Grid if you want more details.

However, homogeneous redundancy is a feature that was already a key part of BOINC even before we started using BOINC.

* We do have some not useful changes. These are things like expanding the shared memory size up to 3600 slots instead of the default 100. We also have a hack in place currently to avoid issues with how BOINC handles assignment of homogeneous redundancies to slots. Once we implement a better solution we will contribute that as well.

We are also about 9 months behind BOINC source currently and will hopefully be updating soon. BOINC requests that we be in sync with HEAD prior to contributing our most recent changes so we will be returning some code after that.

As to the point of this thread. There are many many things that we want to do. Some of them are things members ask for, some of them are things that make the tech teams life easier, some of them reduce our costs, some of them help the researchers, etc. This list is vastly larger then time available to implement. This is true of most things in life.

Please do not think that because we do not implement this feature it is because we are dismissing your view point. It is simply a matter of having the time to implement.

Hi knreed,

in my humble opinion, and just to mention that, by far compared with any other, your coments sounds like the most frank and the best explanation that I saw in years crunching WCG projects, about the limitations to implement ideas and suggestions.

I hope that all WCG community pick your simple words as an example, and start a new era of communication among all colaborators.

Thank you very much for your clarity and invested time to write this post. applause coffee
----------------------------------------
Cheers ! GIB@ peace coffee
Join BRASIL - BRAZIL@GRID team and be very happy !
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=DF99KT5DN1

[Jun 2, 2009 3:23:30 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nasher
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

thanks for giving us information about the projects and changes...

personaly i would love to see a what we are workin on say monthly or so report.. dosnt have to say what new projects or such but ..

we are changing the xx code to streamline yy
we re negotiating with 3 new projects excpeted by the end of .... month

reviewed sugestions these are the ones on the burner we are working towards

just some things like that and im sure many more could be put in...

most of us want to know whats comming up even if you dont give out all the information any that you do pass to us will make us more excited about the project and more likely to have more conversations with people who arnt yet running DC projects or such

[Jun 2, 2009 5:57:10 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mikey
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

You can choose which projects you want to run. If you have lots of computers, you can weight projects by using different profiles.

Ok, then how about adding a few more profile slots? As it stands right now I have 6 computers doing assorted things around the house/work. Being able to set up a profile specific to each of them would allow the OCD tweaking that I want to be able to both work on the projects that I really want to & also to do some badge hunting.

But weighting in the scheduler would conflict with the other scheduler goals, and make an already difficult balancing act ridiculously difficult. It would also cause additional problems when members inevitably claim that their weightings are not being respected.

Weighted scheduling (by percent of resources sent to each project) I agree would be a nightmare to make work. However it shouldn't be that difficult to implement a priority system of some sort.

(I'm not a programmer so you'll need to translate for those who are biggrin ) When setting up a profile the person would rank the projects 1-x. Using "if then" statements the program would go to #1 (say CEP) & if there was no work available then go to #2 (HCC) & repeat the process. Etc.

It's funny, over the years I have spent a lot of time either volunteering or sitting on boards that implement volunteer labor for some project (Scouting, church groups, library boards, etc). What's really sad is that almost always, on both sides of the table, there are hurt feelings because most can't see the forest for the trees. The volunteers forget that the end result is what they are working towards & that some of the things that they want to do really don't help reach that end. The professionals on the other hand, forget that the volunteers are just that - volunteers. If the organizers make things to difficult for them, eventually they will stop complaining & just walk away instead.

Sadly I've started to see the same thing here at WCG (perhaps it has been there for a long time but I've finally started seeing the forest). Because of the incredibly long term nature of all the projects, it is hard to see any short term progress. Because of that some of the crunchers (myself included blushing ) like to fiddle/micro manage their settings so that they can actually see things relating to their input change. While the best thing may be to set up the computer once, turn it on & walk away to let it crank untouched for a few years - that's probably not going to happen.

On the tech side of things, the attitude of "we're saving the world, don't bother us" isn't going to do much towards keeping people willing to help. If it's going to take years if not decades to make progress on the problems that all this computer time is being devoted to, then spending/investing towards good will a week or two of programming time to give the volunteers shiny buttons & knobs to push & turn to their heart's content is at the very least a smart thing to do (it might even be considered an essential part of the process).

Anyway, just my 2% of a $ for the morning... wink

Just to add some more cents to this...todays World is becoming more and more a 'right now, right here' society. If the different distributed computing projects can't keep up and change to keep the users they have happy, they are going to end spending a ton of money to get a project up and running only to find that the users came and left! When one person asks for something, you can bet your last dollar a hundred others have thought of it, but just didn't ask. Boinc in general is full of options and projects, WCG seems to pull alot of different projects together into one place, letting the users do a one stop shop. But to then not let the user chose how they want to crunch on WCG, only seems to make sense for WCG not the user. Me I couldn't care less about some of the things here, others I care passionately about! Not letting me weight the different projects in my own way, diminishes the amount of time my computers give to WCG. I am kind of like Frank Sinatra, I want to be able to say "I did it my way"!

I have found a way to do it " my way" sort of...I have setup it so that I only crunch for one project at a time until I am satisfied and then will move on to the next project. This is okay for me, but obviously not good for WCG because there is not always work for my chosen project. That means WCG does not get 100% of my computers time, probably not what the developers had in mind when they dreamed this whole thing up eh?

[Aug 8, 2009 11:29:03 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nasher
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

yes i agree we are a right here right now world.

personaly I want all the information i could use and more at my fingertips and try not to get anoyed with the real world not living up to my hopes.

i know this was brought up on this thread in may and i know WCG is busy with tons of stuff.. but yes i feel the same way ans i am sure alot of the badge hunters also would like to put there hunt for badges in a better way than manualy doing it.

all i can say is thank you for all the work you do to help us crunch and work for a cure or 1000000000

[Aug 11, 2009 6:41:43 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread