Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 59
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 38965 times and has 58 replies Next Thread
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Device Profiles

hmmm, well there was something bound to happen. What awed me most was though in all this is (yet it being logical), that I could see these profiles from another computer where I tried none of that work around trickery... and now on that beta test page, none of them are visible, in fact, the ones I created have disappeared from everywhere... maybe because I was not actually using any of them and returned to using the default 4.

Anyhow, did they show up in the drop down list, associating a device to a profile?
----------------------------------------
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Oct 5, 2009 5:19:43 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Besides the "Default" profile, I have 14 custom profiles. I'm going to try deleting them 1 by 1, because it used to work when I had only 10 profiles total.

Nope... that doesn't help. And if I create a new profile using the built-in 'home', 'work' or 'school' choices, they have beta checked as soon as they're created (like the 'Default' profile).

So, something changed... and it was since the last round of beta WU's because I got a couple of those.
[Oct 5, 2009 5:49:19 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Anyhow, did they show up in the drop down list, associating a device to a profile?

That appears to never have been implemented. I was still using the local HTML file when I wanted to switch profiles, which isn't very often... and it's not that much of a hassle:
1) Select a Device Name on the Device Manager page.
2) File->Open, Browse to the local file, and OK the blocked content.
3) Choose the profile from the local drop-down and when Save is clicked it takes me back to the website's Device Manager page where I can return to step 1 and select another Device Name if desired.
edit: I gave it a title with the word 'kludge' in it, so to get to the local page again I use the 'back' dropdown (too bad firefox doesn't have that feature) to select that title without having to revisit File->Open, Browse.
/edit

Forcing an update isn't really necessary - the next time a work request is made it will see the new profile.

Oh, yeah - the File/Edit/View is turned off by default in IE8... right-click the Command Bar and check Menu Bar to have the File->Open choice. Or just save it to a Favorites/Bookmark slot which should give it a URL like file:///C:/HTML/WCG-Local.HTML (depending where you store it and what you name it, of course). Now I need to go edit it to remove the profiles I deleted.

I was switching one today as it was sitting idle, having run out of IADS WUs and its profile was set to request only IADS, CEP and DDDT work.
Because I thought the WU's went beyond '900' I was not yet up to maximum buffers, so it looks like I'm going to end up about 2 weeks short of a year on IADS, unless I pick up enough returns/late WUs. straight face
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Oct 5, 2009 7:13:49 PM]
[Oct 5, 2009 7:08:24 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
jasm580
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Looks like somthing changed with the "FORM/Method"
I don't see this text anywhere in the file I just copied locally.
<FORM method=post
name=deviceConfigurationBeanaction=/ms/device/processDeviceConfiguration.do>

But then I have just found this thread and I trying this for the first time today so it may be just me.
-Jasm
[Edit 1 times, last edit by jasm580 at Oct 5, 2009 10:33:12 PM]
[Oct 5, 2009 10:07:59 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Looks like somthing changed with the "FORM/Method"
I don't see this text anywhere in the file I just copied locally.
<FORM method=post
name=deviceConfigurationBeanaction=/ms/device/processDeviceConfiguration.do>

But then I have just found this thread and I trying this for the first time today so it may be just me.

Nothing's got changed, it's still there for me. Make sure you are in a Device Manager - Device Configuration page, i.e. http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/device/viewDeviceConfiguration.do?deviceId=SOME_DEVICE_ID&deviceType=B

Also, the code you've quoted propably appears in some older browsers. Current ones should have something like this (as described in one of my posts somewhere in this thread):
<form name="deviceConfigurationBean" method="post" action="/ms/device/processDeviceConfiguration.do">

So this might be why you couldn't find the code.
[Oct 6, 2009 5:23:42 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
jasm580
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Also, the code you've quoted propably appears in some older browsers.

Actually my quote was from your earlier post I just missed "action" when I was cutting and pasting (my bad).
I look at it now and it is just as you descirbed in your earlier post. I have 2 files I saved from the Device Configration page. Yesterdays is about twice the size of todays and the word "action" does not appear anywhere in the file. They both visually look the same when I look at them though the browser. Very odd but it is working now so I am not going to fret over it.
-Jasm
[Oct 6, 2009 3:33:21 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Glad that you got it to work then smile
[Oct 7, 2009 5:12:48 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Something broke... on the Beta Testing page, the boxes will no longer remain checked on the custom profiles.

edit: Besides the "Default" profile, I have 14 custom profiles. I'm going to try deleting them 1 by 1, because it used to work when I had only 10 profiles total.

I see people are playing around with this, so I'll mention that after lots of experimenting I figured out that what made all my profiles become unchecked in the MyGrid->Beta Testing section was me editing the profile that's marked as Default in the My Grid->Device Manager->Device Profiles section.

Note that's not necessarily the profile named Default.

So once you've created the unlisted device profiles, and modified the local HTML file so they appear in its pick list, do NOT edit the profile that's got the 'default' box checked at the top (here on WCG or on any other project's site), or you'll have to delete and recreate the custom profiles if you want them to be checked for Beta Testing again. i.e. if the device profile checked as default has its Beta Testing box checked, when new custom device profiles are created they'll have their Beta Testing boxes checked automatically... so it appears they take on some settings from the device profile that is set as the default.

Also, to add a couple of my empirical cents to another point... using the custom profiles here on the WCG project has not affected what BOINC does on other projects (but then, I'm not attached to any other projects with multiple applications, like WCG runs, either).
[Jul 23, 2011 4:41:21 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Having said that, BOINC has never implemented arbitrary profile names so this never progressed. We have no intention to limit this feature (and we will schedule a change to pull the drop down lists from the existing set of named profiles).

When might you schedule that change for?
[Jan 1, 2012 11:53:19 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread