Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 226
Posts: 226   Pages: 23   [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 23602 times and has 225 replies Next Thread
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Supplemental Charts Going Under Due It's Own Success

The 25 or so charts have been receiving many views which is pleasing, but off late external sites have been linking in and doing perpetual "refresh chart" requests. That creates bandwidth use and whilst that was always in the 8-10Gb monthly with 35 to 40 thousand views, now it's getting crazy and 21Gb was used as of 18th per a mail warning that the account is close to hitting 25Gb. For instance the host stats show the CEP crunching chart had 11,000 views in the first 18 days of June, where the thread this one is included in had 'only' 1,705 visits in 6 months.

As first measure from my side, I'm shrinking the images, of course at the price of loss in resolution, but unless those who with direct links into their own websites that keep refreshing the call and instead start caching a copy on their own site, the Supplemental Charts images will soon turn dark with a message. It will then reset on July 1. Maybe another item to make a chart for ;>)

thanks for reading
(in case you wonder why it got pitch black ;-)

Edit: The Photobucket host account actually resets at the 23rd of the month.
----------------------------------------
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sekerob at Aug 14, 2009 4:10:36 PM]
[Jun 20, 2009 8:34:02 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
LUFTY
Cruncher
Project Badges:
Re: Supplemental Charts Going Under Due It's Own Success

Dear Sekerob

Your charts are fantastic and I would hate to lose them as a resource however I do have an idea which I think will significantly reduce the bandwidth demands.

I myself only ever view the first chart as I use it to give me a snapshot of which projects are growing in interest, the percentage completed, estimated completion date and the trend of the projects.

However when accessing the charts from the forum I have to download all of the charts hence 25 times the bandwidth that is needed.

Could we have seperate forum threads and seperate web pages for each chart which I think would significantly reduce the bandwidth.

Thanks once again for a fantastic value add to World Community Grid.

Lufty
[Jun 20, 2009 9:29:42 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

It's an interesting thought to break the Pie off into a separate post, LUFTY, the thing though is, in the 17 months the list has been up, it had 'just' 19,303 views i.e. under 1200 views monthly. Already each project forum has a Progress Crunching Chart thread and neither these indicate any significant traffic, maybe 150-200 times monthly. Long as you do not clean the browser cache each exit or do not hit Ctrl-F5, the image is viewed from the store on the viewers machine and not that in the hosted album.

Anyway, the more views the better to spread the word, we like glossy afterall, but it need not pull a fresh copy each and every visit. They update daily, sometimes 2x daily, sometimes every few days. Just only when I'm there to hit that not yet lost upload updated charts button (ripped that one ;>)
[Jun 20, 2009 10:20:37 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

One thought I had to reduce the load is to only make the charts available one day a week, perhaps on Sundays to start the week or Saturdays to end the week. They arre appreciated and are nice to have available, but not at too great a cost to you.

Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Jun 21, 2009 4:15:57 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Dataman
Ace Cruncher
Project Badges:

Two conditions will always cause an enterprise to fail. Not enough customers and too many customers. wink
Hope you figure out a way Sek as I enjoy the charts. cool

coffee

[Jun 21, 2009 4:22:48 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I know this is a depressing thought - but the best way to reduce bandwidth is to simplify the graphs - take out the backgrounds, and maybe even reduce the colour depth.

A great pity, since they do look beautiful.
[Jun 21, 2009 6:21:41 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
retsof
Former Community Advisor
USA
Project Badges:

and maybe even reduce the colour depth.
I used to do that when webspace and bandwidth both were critical. One can knock it down 2 or 3 steps and it is not even noticeable, but it stores in a lot less space.
SUPPORT ADVISOR
Work+GPU i7 8700 12threads
School i7 4770 8threads
Default+GPU Ryzen 7 3700X 16threads
Ryzen 7 3800X 16 threads
Ryzen 9 3900X 24threads
Home i7 3540M 4threads50%
[Edit 1 times, last edit by retsof at Jun 21, 2009 4:07:19 PM]
[Jun 21, 2009 4:06:59 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher
Re: Supplemental Charts Going Under Due Their Own Success

Vi Presentados, lower res as the host converts them to jpg from png, in slideshow format, space bar to pause, the charts. Don't ask me why they are not all showing yesterday's refresh, rather in part the day before, but what to expect from a free service, they're current enough and hopefully will show later data in time.

The Start Here charts have been split in 2 parts, first the pies and other general charts on WCG and a second set doing the by-project crunching charts. That should help to keep the bandwidth use in check, yours too. The sizes were brought down though, all 600 pixel wide at max.

ttyl
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sekerob at Jun 23, 2009 9:39:32 PM]
[Jun 23, 2009 9:37:07 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Have you considered getting your own website to host them? Maybe put a small area on a page for google ads or a paypal button to offset the cost? Just a thought. thinking
[Jun 23, 2009 11:33:48 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gb009761
Master Cruncher
Scotland
Project Badges:

Have you considered getting your own website to host them?

or even, seeing if there's a little space somewhere on the WCG servers??? surely, such a valuable service as you provide with these graphs, could be hosted on WCG somewhere...

[Jun 24, 2009 2:35:42 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 226   Pages: 23   [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread