Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 9
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 14678 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Max Runtime Exceeded

I have a Pentium 4 / 3GHz linux box which manages to handle all the projects WCG and otherwise that I've thrown at it. I am getting the following message quite frequently:
Finishing early because max runtime has been exceeded.14416.700328

... I know Rosetta allows this parameter to be configured - any chance of increasing the parameter: 5 / 6 hours would be enough rather than the current 4 hours. That way one could hand in the full result and I don't think this would affect the deadline.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Aug 13, 2009 6:22:15 PM]
[Aug 13, 2009 6:19:29 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher
Re: Max Runtime Exceeded

The HCMD2 jobs are time limited to ~4 hours, if they have not reached 60% completion of the total work included.

Why it is 4 hours? Because a single position in a job can unpredictably take many hours and the project managers want to prevent that thus jobs of too many hours causes overlong jobs. So, pretty much all parent results have this line

Finishing early because max runtime has been exceeded.14428.938093

finishing the position that was underhand when the 4 hour mark was reached.

added: Similarly, RICE has this at the 7 hour mark, but here we know that all seeds will finish in minutes.
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sekerob at Aug 13, 2009 6:40:40 PM]
[Aug 13, 2009 6:38:38 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
uplinger
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:

What you are seeing is on purpose. We split the work units into estimated length...but these estimates are very rough and some work units were running close to 100 hours. Many of the work units sent out encounter this and this is why the work units have subsequent work units sent out to finish them. The rest of the work unit is split up based on the results of the work units returned from the first split.

Note, We are thinking of increasing the runtime on later work units up about 50% in run length.

-Uplinger
[Aug 13, 2009 6:42:34 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Note, We are thinking of increasing the runtime on later work units up about 50% in run length.

-Uplinger

I was thinking that a small increase in the runtime would probably significantly reduce the need to split work units if this is an advantage to you (looking at the units that gave me this result a number seemed close to finishing so an extra hour or two may have been sufficient).

[Edit]By the way thank you both for the explanations
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Aug 14, 2009 5:55:35 PM]
[Aug 14, 2009 5:33:17 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

As noted in my post above there is the 60% of total positions test, so if a job cuts off at 4 hours, it is expected to at least take 6.7 hours to finish. I'm sure the result statistics on millions has proven that 4 hours is a good number, where a secondary cut off is set at 8 hours, if 60% is passed at 4 hours mark. All designed to catch out the super-positions that on their own can run many hours. Not heard, but maybe these get send to the power rigs, the quads and the I7's, so they wont run overlong.

As for the 'later' comment it is expected that work will get lighter as the project progresses. At that time it's probably warranted to up the cut off, the 'extended' jobs then expected to be rare enough and given the extended homogeneity groups, I'm sure the techs can steer these again to the real power machines. Hope at least something is developing in that direction.
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Aug 14, 2009 5:57:09 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
JmBoullier
Former Community Advisor
Normandy - France
Project Badges:

By the way I have noticed on my P4 HT which rarely is allowed to complete a task that it is showing the percentage relative to the 4-hour limit when it will be stopped at 4 hours. I presume that the routine which computes the progress information is computing both percentages and passes the higher both options and passes the appropriate one to BoincMgr and to the graphics.

Edit: My first wording was too simplistic and would work only if the job will take less than 4 hours.
Team--> Decrypthon -->Statistics/Join -->Thread
[Edit 1 times, last edit by JmBoullier at Aug 14, 2009 7:25:00 PM]
[Aug 14, 2009 7:14:28 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

OK - thanks for the explanation and sorry I didn't get the 60% bit first time round.
[Aug 14, 2009 8:22:18 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
uplinger
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:

Also, please note that when I said we are thinking about increasing the runtimes, would cause everything to increase. This means that the 60% cut off would be at the 6 hour mark instead of the experienced 4 hour mark you noted.

But a note on the if you are past 60% at the 4 hour mark right now. You are given until 8 hour mark to finish the final 40% of the work unit. If you do not reach 100% complete by the 8 hour mark then your work unit is stopped similar to the 4 hour mark.

Hope that doesn't add confusion.

-Uplinger
[Aug 14, 2009 8:37:39 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Sounds clear to me - many thanks.
[Aug 14, 2009 11:39:26 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread