Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 8
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 16364 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
GraffBayCity
Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Levels of Badges

I had a thought when looking at the badges earlier. There are different types of badges, with sapphire currently being the highest. After one obtains a sapphire badge, there's nothing more that can be gained.

Why not have various levels of the sapphire badge, or create a new badge with various levels. Like have a platinum (?) badge level 1 for 5 years of run-time, then add another level for every additional 5 years of donated computing time.

The levels could be designated by a small number in the corner of the badge icon, allowing for virtually unlimited expansion. You'd want to make a new leveled badge for 50 years, just so that the badge level number doesn't hit double-digits. (I'm thinking that more than one digit would make for a cluttered and/or hard-to-read badge.)
----------------------------------------
[Dec 8, 2009 7:44:27 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Levels of Badges

please try searching before posting ... this has been discussed a million times and if I have not grown so numb to the details, I think the WCG staff have said that there is *something* in the works for next year.
[Dec 8, 2009 10:26:18 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
damir1978
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

Yeah ... last time I remember me proposing badges for super-crunchers badges for 50, 100 and even 1000 years... but they thought this was not necessary.

I don't understand why the reluctance, once you decided to make some badges just make a lot of them... put it till 100.000 years badge and finish it forever.
[Dec 9, 2009 2:24:29 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nasher
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

shrug personaly with my computer power even 2 years on a project is very hard for me to achieve.. but yes i know there are hard core crunchers out there that can crank up a year a day...

as an alternitive i think there should be a Rank badge for the 1,2,3,4,5,.. to 1000 then 1000-2000 2000-3000 4000-6000... type badge for the top crunchers... i would sit somewere in the 4000-6000 badge but heck i wouldnt mind seeing something like that but i am sure it takes alot of work to get something like that setup

oh well .. happy crunching... while im going for my 2nd sapphire while i wait for new projects

[Dec 9, 2009 2:59:13 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
knreed
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:

From http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/...ad,26221_offset,30#259294

One of the things that has long been on the development list and is looking likely in 1Q 2010 is the ability for members to print 'certificates'. Certificates will be awarded based on total contribution to World Community Grid. We intend to scale the certificates to much higher levels then we currently have for the badges. There is much planning to do, but we are considering having at least one certificate level be above what anyone has yet contributed (a likely certificate level would be something like 1 month, 2 months, 5 months, 1 year, 2 years, 5 years, 10 years, 20 years, 50 years, 100 years, 200 years, 500 years, 1000 years, 2000 years, 5000 years). However, that is conceptual planning only and is almost certain to change before we release. Only 3 people would currently make the 2000 year cutoff and no-one would currently make the 5000 year cutoff.

[Dec 9, 2009 3:40:39 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
GraffBayCity
Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Sorry for not searching. While I set up the machines at work several months ago, I've not done much in the forums.

I do think that a leveled badge system would be better and more expandable than a series of badges at different milestones. Plus, each new badge would grow exponentially, so you wouldn't have to think up many names for the badges. (Say Emerald is 1 year, have 9 levels of Emerald before getting Sapphire level 1 for 10 years. Sapphire has 9 levels before getting Platinum (?) level 1 for 100 years. Platinum would then last until 1,000 years until the next badge level 1. That badge would last until 1,000,000 years.)

Hey, out of 3 posts, I was able to get a solution for one and people think another is a good idea. Having one out of three be a dud isn't too bad for being new. smile
[Dec 9, 2009 5:28:07 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Bearcat
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Next one should be a star for 5 years (the 5 points on the star for 5 years)
Crunching for humanity since 2007!

[Dec 17, 2009 12:49:25 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
retsof
Former Community Advisor
USA
Project Badges:

Next one should be a star for 5 years (the 5 points on the star for 5 years)
So far, the badge levels were about double of the one before. There has been some thought of either certificates or continuing the badges for 4, 8, 16 .... years.
Stars could be made for the first two.

5 pointed stars aren't cast in stone. The Guilford NC battle flag stars had 8

16 is certainly possible

32 is certainly also possible, but it starts looking like a buzz saw.

SUPPORT ADVISOR
Work+GPU i7 8700 12threads
School i7 4770 8threads
Default+GPU Ryzen 7 3700X 16threads
Ryzen 7 3800X 16 threads
Ryzen 9 3900X 24threads
Home i7 3540M 4threads50%
[Edit 2 times, last edit by retsof at Dec 17, 2009 2:39:03 AM]
[Dec 17, 2009 2:12:28 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread