Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 130
Posts: 130   Pages: 13   [ Previous Page | 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 40450 times and has 129 replies Next Thread
sk..
Master Cruncher
http://s17.rimg.info/ccb5d62bd3e856cc0d1df9b0ee2f7f6a.gif
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Discovering Dengue Drugs - Together Phase 2 Beta Type A Dec 16 2009

Snow Crash,
I don't understand why you are suggesting a restriction by user.
So more people can contribute to the Beta program,
tasks get allocated to more different system types,
and to expedite the process.
What if I happen to have Windows, Linux and a Mac, what difference does it make if "I" have them or if three different people have them?
If you ran all the tasks they would only be tested on 3 different operating systems, it would take longer to complete them, and fewer users will be involved; I prefer inclusion.
My initial suggestion was and remains open to discussion, and further suggestion. It was never meant to be definitive. From the discussion thread, limiting Beta work unit allocation would need to be better defined to facilitate specific types of testing, such as testing on different operating systems, hardware architectures and to facilitate running different numbers of tasks simultaneously. Something that different methodology could perhaps (or not) better cater for, hence the question.
uplinger explained that multiple WU on the same system is a good and valid test yet you continue to question his methodology?
I am perfectly within my rights to question! I never suggested that testing multiple task runs simultaneously was not a good test parameter. However, it is not the only thing that needs to be tested for.
With only 633 tasks available, it was always going to be difficult to get tasks distributed across a representative variety of computer architectures and operating systems. So running 4, 6, 12, 24 or more tasks simultaneously on one system in itself substantially reduced even task distribution across different platforms and architectures, and arguably limited the effectiveness of the tests.

What I see is a balancing act between running multiple tasks on one system and seeing how tasks perform on different hardware architectures and operating systems. So I think it is fair to question methodology that on the surface would appear to tend toward testing multiple tasks runs.
I think you have to draw the line somewhere WRT multicores. If someone has two i9s in a dual socket system they could crunch 24 tasks at once. Cache 2 or 3 days worth of tasks, and all the Betas get run on around 10 systems. A very limited form of Beta testing!

If you wanted to look at the ability of a system to crunch 24 tasks simultaneously on one operating system, then another operating system and so on, you would run out of tasks fairly quickly, and would certainly not get an even performance representation of computers hooked up to the WCG. With the limited number of tasks released and the growing number of CPUs and systems, to me it would seem more reasonable to distribute the tasks as widely as possible, but perhaps the scientists and techs think it is more important to test multiple tasks for some technical reason I am not aware of.

The tasks were released in one phase, night time in Europe. Perhaps three batches separated by 6hours might be a better way.
I would bet that if the results did not provide proper coverage to satisfy the requirements of the test that there would be more sent out.
Whatever the results of this round of Betas, there will be more.
If the methodology stands up to scrutiny then there is no problem. If not, then there will be more task failures. Still not a big problem for me, but I would prefer to know that my electric bill was high because I was returning successfully completed tasks. If I highlight a possible problem and someone rectifies it before it becomes a bigger or improves a system then it was worthwhile. A scientist that cant stand having their work questioned, is in the wrong job. If the method is perfect, I still have no problem.
All I am doing is throwing the question out there. Was the system used the best way of testing (is allowing tasks to be allocated by the existing delivery system desirable)? Should an alternative be considered that would allow for more direct planning and allocation of tasks; in order to ensure tasks go to enough different systems to know that they will work universally?

Enjoy your Christmas,
[Dec 24, 2009 6:30:42 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
uplinger
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:

skgiven, questioning the method we are using is good. But with the work units that went out. We are able to get a broad range average of machines. A member is only allowed to get 1 copy of a work unit out of the 3, that means that even if a member received 20 and they all went to the same type of machines/os then the other 2 copies went to different hosts to compare against. Remember it's mostly about the different machines that are tested...

from mathilda2007
4 are running with Ubuntu
7 are XP 64-bit
2 are Win 7 Pro 64bit
2 are Win 7 Ulti 64
1 is Win 7 Ulti 32
1 is Win 7 XP Mode
4 are on different XP 32 bit systems.

As you can tell, there are multiple types of windows being tested by this one member even though they were lucky enough to get multiple work units.

It would be nice if every member who signed up for beta received a work unit, but the tests are mainly about the round robin approach of machines getting tasks. This gives us a good subset of the machines running on World Community Grid. Remember this beta was small in the number of work units sent, only 633 work units when over 400,000 work units returned yesterday.

As a note, the project manager was extremely excited to get a work unit on one of his machines this beta. He monitored the work unit within the first 24 hours and noticed the percentage was going up horribly. This was the a041 work unit (reported by x-files 27) that is discussed earlier in the thread. I had my PM send me the important information needed before the work unit was cancelled and determined the molecule was created improperly. No credit was given, but that's part of the beta. No favourites as to who gets what.

Also, If you're curious why I participate in the beta, it is to give us a comparison against the alpha tests that were run on machines that worked. I monitor my work units closer than others because I know what to look for :) But this way we are not just submitting beta work units to the wild and closing our eyes in hopes everything goes well.

Now, if all 211 work units came back properly, we would more than likely have a test on type B work units after. It would be 422 work units with 3 copies sent out of each. and if all of those came back, then we would have over 100,000 work units for the type C's. again 3 copies of each. I am not sure how many of the type C's we will send out at this time (need to get past type A and B first), but there should be plenty for most members to get some :) Some members may still not get one depending if they're computer is working on another project and misses the window of work units being sent out. We don't play favourites on who gets what of the BETAs.

Hope this helps explain some of the reasons behind things and gives more information on other things beta :)

-Uplinger
[Dec 24, 2009 6:34:05 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
USAFA 82
Veteran Cruncher
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Project Badges:

28 cores here but, as usual, no beta WU's for me. I'll try brinktastee's suggestion:
In your "Device Manager" set all your profiles "Workunit Cache Settings" to
Connect to network about every 0.1 days
Cache 0.1 extra days of work
coffee

I've been fulfilling the coffee part, but not the rest biggrin
----------------------------------------

Cancer Survivor
Play Star Citizen!
[Dec 28, 2009 7:07:23 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Somervillejudson@netscape.net
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Yes it would be nice to receive a Beta or 30, but they have a special purpuse an are often hard to come by.
[Dec 29, 2009 11:28:11 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
rembertw
Senior Cruncher
Belgium
Project Badges:

Uplinger,

I understand there are 4 parts in this beta, one internal in WCG, then "A", "B", and "C" with the "B" WU's coming from the "A" results and the "C" WU's coming from the "B" results.

Now, a question: As "A" has been distributed already, will you release the "B" and "C" WU's in bulk, or do you release the "B" WU's at the moment that their parent "A" is confirmed and processed?

In other words, will it be it a trickle, or a mini dam burst for the B and C work units?
[Dec 31, 2009 7:41:10 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
JmBoullier
Former Community Advisor
Normandy - France
Project Badges:

Fom Uplinger on Dec 17 in this thread:
Anyways, to let everyone know, we will wait for all of the type A work units to complete first. Then, as we will in production, return the results from the type A work units to the researchers. They will check them and create the type B work units from them for us to download and distribute. Same step happens with the type B to C exchange.

Team--> Decrypthon -->Statistics/Join -->Thread
[Dec 31, 2009 9:01:35 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
uplinger
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:

To expand a bit on that statement, We will be releasing them in the form of batches. Examples are best way to show :)

Researchers send us 2000 type A work units for a given target. They are split into (for this example) 500 work unit batches. When all 500 of 1 of the 4 batches complete, then we'll send that back to the researchers for them to create type B's...So there could be some A's still running when the B's start. Also, as i mentioned target before, there could be multiple targets in some stage of processing. This means target 1 may be finishing up the type C's for it's target, yet target 6 is just starting type A's and the other target 2-5 are running some type on the grid.

Please note, the numbers provided were for an example :) If they do turn out to be accurate, then I will be very surprised.

JmBoullier, thanks for finding that post.

-Uplinger
[Dec 31, 2009 2:43:37 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
rembertw
Senior Cruncher
Belgium
Project Badges:

@Jean: Oooops, I must have overlooked or forgotten I read it. Sorry!

@Uplinger: Thanks for the expanded explanation!

@all: Happy New Year
[Dec 31, 2009 4:05:50 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

On 20 Dec, 2009 @ 22:34:25 zulu, in http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/...ad,28160_offset,50#261382 I replied,
no more hope for 2009, so at least in 2010 please !

I would think you still have a chance for 2009... depends on how soon the type B & C work units are issued and how many of them you get, though.

OK... now I agree the hopes for a new beta badge this year are dimming.

Happy 2010, everyone.
(darn - there's not a party-hat-smilie in the bunch.) tongue
[Dec 31, 2009 4:12:59 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
olivier3191
Senior Cruncher
France
Project Badges:

You're right, I got nothing for this beta test round ! crying

But I got my second sapphire badge for Christmas and I will get an emerald one for the new year (currently 364 days for HCMD2 project). biggrin

By the way, I just saw that uplinger has an emerald Beta badge now ! applause Is there another person with this level ?
[Dec 31, 2009 4:24:36 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 130   Pages: 13   [ Previous Page | 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread