Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 41
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 19082 times and has 40 replies Next Thread
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
The "Clean Out Those Dustbunnies" Thread

Searched for the word combo "clean AND laptop" and "clean AND fan" and "sink AND clean", but no real dedicated old thread surfaced, so here it is. Throw your cleaning tips in.

First one:

Was following a brief exchange of someone removing a thin film of dust from the fan-blades over the CPU and the device dropping 20C or more. It was thought that possibly the cleaning action may also have addressed a thin dust layer on the heat-sink, but here is just a simple observation...

Me quad desktop has a sidewall with four 12 cm outward directed low rev fans, none temp controlled. While holding hands at about a 4 inch distance there was barely a feel of air push. Unplugged the fan set and saw that very same dust film on the blades as seen in the previous para. Took a paintbrush and thoroughly removed all residue. Plugged the powersocket back in, replaced the sidewall and low and behold, at 1.5 foot could feel the push again... and just a tinge more silent. No temp difference as Speedfan just was compensating the main 8cm fan in the tube that leads to the CPU.

Ergo: Fans themselves even when only slightly dusty loose performance, probably having reduced revs on the go. Not once a year, once every few months and in my case, did not even have to power down [it's advisable though] biggrin

edit: some orrible word repetitions in 1 line.
----------------------------------------
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sekerob at Mar 12, 2010 6:55:17 AM]
[Mar 11, 2010 2:39:49 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
GIBA
Ace Cruncher
Re: The "Clean Out Those Dustbunnies" Thread

Searched for the word combo "clean AND laptop" and "clean AND fan" and "sink AND clean", but no real dedicated old thread surfaced, so here it is. Throw your tips cleaning tips in.

First one:

Was following a brief exchange of someone removing a thin film of dust from the fan-blades over the CPU and the device dropping 20C or more. It was observed that possibly the cleaning action may also have addressed a thin dust layer on the heat-sink, but here is just a simple observation...

Me quad desktop has a sidewall with four 12 cm outward directed low rev fans, none temp controlled. While holding hands at about a 4 inch distance there was barely a feel of air push. Unplugged the fan set and saw that very same dust film on the blades as seen in the previous para. Took a paintbrush and thoroughly removed all residue. Plugged the powersocket back in, replaced the sidewall and low and behold, at 1.5 foot could feel the push again... and just a tinge more silent. No temp difference as Speedfan just was compensating the main 8cm fan in the tube that leads to the CPU.

Ergo: Fans themselves even when only slightly dusty loose performance, probably having reduced revs on the go. Not once a year, once every few months and in my case, did not even have to power down [it's advisable though] biggrin

Interesting tip. For absolut lack of time I never do it, but after read your post I will...
I guess that will use a small vacuum cleaner too, at least to help remove the huge dust layer that probably I will found .
Thanks. idea peace coffee
Cheers ! GIB@ peace coffee
Join BRASIL - BRAZIL@GRID team and be very happy !
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=DF99KT5DN1

[Mar 12, 2010 2:37:15 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

This sound a lot like my experience here: https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/...d,9462_offset,1450#270859

Also from lifehacker: http://lifehacker.com/5275892/clean-your-lapt...t-running-smooth-and-cool

I'm totally sold on cleaning my computers often.
[Mar 12, 2010 3:12:27 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Hypernova
Master Cruncher
Audaces Fortuna Juvat ! Vaud - Switzerland
Project Badges:

Here under my contribution to this topic.
I totally agree. Often cleaning is easier to do than waiting for a year and do it. When there are two many layers of dust they tend to stick and after it becomes a mess to remove it.

https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/...ad,7557_offset,260#268780

[Mar 12, 2010 10:58:53 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I have a routine schedule I use - the first of the month or as close to it as my schedule allows, I clean out the computers, make sure cords/cards are securely connected and do any/all software updates needed, along with running chkdsk & cleaning out files no longer needed. I have a 5x8 index card I keep at the computer that lists the tasks (9) in broad terms so if I get interrupted I know where I left off (I check mark each as it is done).

With 3 computers it takes about an hour and half to do.

Edited for: typos
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Former Member at Mar 12, 2010 2:04:34 PM]
[Mar 12, 2010 2:02:54 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mikaok
Senior Cruncher
Finland
Project Badges:

I usually vacuum my case from the inside maybe twice a year. For an cleaning inspiration, here's what my noble warhorse looks like after a few months of battles in the World Community Grid biggrin

to infinity and beyond

[Mar 12, 2010 5:09:55 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bjbdbest
Master Cruncher
Project Badges:

I usually vacuum my case from the inside maybe twice a year. For an cleaning inspiration, here's what my noble warhorse looks like after a few months of battles in the World Community Grid biggrin

Ahhh -choo! 'scuse me laughing
[Mar 12, 2010 8:58:58 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
GIBA
Ace Cruncher

d oh silly shock
Cheers ! GIB@ peace coffee
Join BRASIL - BRAZIL@GRID team and be very happy !
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=DF99KT5DN1

[Mar 12, 2010 9:51:00 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Mikaok... with all that dust it looks like you are running an open case setup. I think it'd take a good 5 years for my comp to get that dirty inside. Cleaning your house often will mean there will be less dust available to get in the computer. I usually open the case every 6 months and spray some compressed air for like 10 seconds and I'm finished.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Mar 13, 2010 1:17:40 AM]
[Mar 13, 2010 1:14:19 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mikaok
Senior Cruncher
Finland
Project Badges:

Mikaok... with all that dust it looks like you are running an open case setup. I think it'd take a good 5 years for my comp to get that dirty inside. Cleaning your house often will mean there will be less dust available to get in the computer. I usually open the case every 6 months and spray some compressed air for like 10 seconds and I'm finished.

This case takes the air directly through the grills and the dust usually gathers to those HDD™s that are right after the fans. If the dust passes this part, it is mostly blown out from the case. So I commonly recommend, to all of you, detaching all the parts you can, to see if you have a mound somewhere. ...or buying a case which has decent air filters..

-mika
to infinity and beyond

[Mar 13, 2010 8:41:05 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread