Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 24
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 22368 times and has 23 replies Next Thread
damir1978
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
FARMCASH reward for processing at WCG?????

There is a game on Facebook that some of you might of heard of it and some of you didn’t: FARMVILLE
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FarmVille
Since the launch of this game on facebook middle of last year more than 82.000.000 people opened an account there and plays. Now, this game has a catch. To really play it in full you need “farmcash” which is virtual money.

Some people might be even addicted with this game in a way that they are spending real money to get some farmcash and others will like to do reviews or other unsafe things on Internet just to get some (1-5 farmcash).
If only WCG will be smart enough to tap this very abundant well and piggyback on Farmville success and make some sort of deal with Zynga (Farmville creators) to implement rewards in farmcash for WCG processing I bet that the numbers of volunteers will increase by MILLIONS IN A MATHER OF MONTHS. So? What do you say?

P.S. Now, I will wait for some sort of reply proving once again that WCG never loose an opportunity to loose an opportunity. But just in case you surprise me.... I will keep my hope for some kind of positive answer from WCG on this.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 2 times, last edit by damir1978 at Apr 6, 2010 11:56:59 PM]
[Apr 6, 2010 11:52:09 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: FARMCASH reward for processing at WCG?????

Dear damir1978,

This sounds like a splendid idea.

Please go ahead and contact Farmville and tell them about World Community Grid and find out if they are willing to have the worlds best volunteer computing project featured on their site.

If they are positive about it, then find out exactly what we have to do to participate on Farmville so that we can get millions of new members in a few months.

Once you have that information, please send us the details in an email and we'll see what needs to be done and work on incorporating the necessary work into our schedule.

Thanks.
[Apr 7, 2010 3:05:36 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Nice Answer ;) as a side note, farmville is a resource/cpu hog, my wife plays, her lappy crunches at 70% but I have to cut it back to 25% so she can "Farm" with warm weather coming I will have to cut it back even more soon. farmville and most other facebook apps DO NOT play well with Boinc

Edit: even with WCG off, farmville open and idle, cpu fan runs on high all the time, have seen this not just on her laptop, but also on several other desktop boxes in my cabbage patch, BTW all are AMD duel core cpus
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Apr 7, 2010 7:14:29 PM]
[Apr 7, 2010 7:08:44 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Coleslaw
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Farmville is a horrible ap to have alongside WCG. You may have 82 million eyes take a glance this way, but you would see a majority of them ignore it or try it for 10 seconds and realize that their already slow running system on farmville just got even slower. I don't know how familiar you are with that ap, but I take tech calls all the time with people complaining their computer is too slow to find out it is just when playing that game. I'm talking multi-core systems running various OS's with 2+GB's of ram. This ap also causes system crashes from time to time and I'm not just talking web browser. I have seen it bring down entire systems because of bad programming causing it to overheat the system or not play nice with the OS. I'm sure WCG would appreciate a flood of WU's coming back as Error because of this great idea.

[Apr 7, 2010 8:40:47 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Coleslaw
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

By the way..you might find more luck adding WCG to your page and telling everyone periodically on your list to join. http://apps.facebook.com/worldcommunitygrid/

Edit: I don't use this Ap (http://apps.facebook.com/processors/new.php) since I use BOINC, but currently there are 3 projects for sure that use it. If WCG got in on it, I think it would market to Facebookers better and would be less hassle for them to figure out. Let's face it...most of them don't understand "copy and paste". That Ap was provided by Intel.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Coleslaw at Apr 7, 2010 9:03:19 PM]
[Apr 7, 2010 8:49:56 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
damir1978
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

Coleslaw
Farmville is a horrible ap to have alongside WCG. You may have 82 million eyes take a glance this way, but you would see a majority of them ignore it or try it for 10 seconds and realize that their already slow running system on farmville just got even slower. I don't know how familiar you are with that ap, but I take tech calls all the time with people complaining their computer is too slow to find out it is just when playing that game. I'm talking multi-core systems running various OS's with 2+GB's of ram. This ap also causes system crashes from time to time and I'm not just talking web browser. I have seen it bring down entire systems because of bad programming causing it to overheat the system or not play nice with the OS. I'm sure WCG would appreciate a flood of WU's coming back as Error because of this great idea.

Answer to Coleslaw
First point - I've test it on my computers and other computers for the past month. no crash whatsoever. It is slowing your computer only when you play it (30 minutes - 1 hour a day) in the rest the computer is free to do WCG and if you calculate the amount of free WCG hours that will add to our 300+ years per day you will see that it is exponential win at 82+ million people on WCG.
Second Point - I am not asking WCG members to play Farmville. This method will bring Farmville players to WCG.

By the way..you might find more luck adding WCG to your page and telling everyone periodically on your list to join. http://apps.facebook.com/worldcommunitygrid/
Done that.

bbover3

Please go ahead and contact Farmville and tell them about World Community Grid and find out if they are willing to have the worlds best volunteer computing project featured on their site.

Answer to bbover3
Do I look like I'm working for WCG (any authority I have in discussing any contract with Zynga?)?????

You (IBM) should really consider professional people working on increasing WCG pool ... or is this Grid just some in-house experiment like we had with UD company, only to get dumped once the true objective is reached aka cloud computing (UD used GRID.ORG just to test cloud computing with the UD software).
So, is it?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by damir1978 at Apr 7, 2010 11:00:36 PM]
[Apr 7, 2010 9:06:20 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Coleslaw
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I think you would find it much harder to convince them to even care and risk burning up their systems not knowing how to tweak them. Again, I think you severely misjudge the general Facebookers computer knowledge and level of caring to give up their resources. I have told numerous people about WCG and BOINC in general. Most don't care or don't see its benefits. Most are also skeptical on whether their resources are being used for corporate greed. Placing it next to or advertised within a resource hog ap will doubtfully bring you millions. Latest version works good for your systems...awesome. Unfortunately, historically it ran fine for weeks to months at a time too. Then an update...and then problems for many. Then a fix. Then another update. The cycle continues.

[Apr 7, 2010 9:22:05 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
damir1978
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

I think you would find it much harder to convince them to even care and risk burning up their systems not knowing how to tweak them. Again, I think you severely misjudge the general Facebookers computer knowledge and level of caring to give up their resources. I have told numerous people about WCG and BOINC in general. Most don't care or don't see its benefits. Most are also skeptical on whether their resources are being used for corporate greed. Placing it next to or advertised within a resource hog ap will doubtfully bring you millions. Latest version works good for your systems...awesome. Unfortunately, historically it ran fine for weeks to months at a time too. Then an update...and then problems for many. Then a fix. Then another update. The cycle continues.

Coleslaw... you don't get it. If you know a little bit about the Farmville community you will know that they are addicted to farmcash. They will do almost anything for it. That is the point: to tap in that addiction to get them know the Grid world.
[Apr 7, 2010 10:59:52 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Coleslaw... you don't get it. If you know a little bit about the Farmville community you will know that they are addicted to farmcash. They will do almost anything for it. That is the point: to tap in that addiction to get them know the Grid world.

Up to and including "recruiting" here, to get farmville plays into WCG, recruit for WCG in farmville not recruit for farmville in WCG
[Apr 7, 2010 11:27:51 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Coleslaw
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I also know a LOT about addiction and if that is what you are feeding on, why stop with Farmville? Why not WoW, Runescape, Modern Warfare? Those games at least have players who know a little something about their computers and also rank in the millions. Not to mention systems that typically are built for high end computing. I would start there in all actuality. Even AMD packages F@H in their Catalyst software. And NO damir1978 you are wrong. I do get what you are saying. I think it is just a terrible approach and association for WCG. Playing on peoples addictions is not a good PR campaign.

[Apr 8, 2010 12:20:40 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread